Sandisk Cruzer Profile
- Biometric Scanning, Encryption software, Nice extras
A great thumb drive for the security conscious, offering layers of protection for your valuable data.
Price$ 150.00 (AUD)
If you're like us, you regularly carry lots of Classification six CIA documents around with you. Until recently, we'd just been keeping them on a regular USB stick for any spy to steal, but with the new Cruzer Profile this isn't a concern. A USB stick with a built in finger print reader, the Profile offers layers of security, including biometric scanning and encryption, keeping your data secure as you move between PCs. You do sacrifice a little in terms of size and style, but for the security conscious this is a pretty nifty device.
Coming in 512MB and 1GB capacities, the Profile is a fairly standard USB key in terms of functionality. It is USB 2.0 compliant and our testing revealed transfers consistent with this speed.
The real selling point of the Profile is its biometric functionality. The unit splits in half revealing a small finger print reader, similar to those found on notebooks, and this is used to grant access to the data on the drive. The first time you use it you'll have to boot up a piece of software to input your finger prints; it can store up to 10 at once. It is interesting to note that Sandisk has partitioned this drive into two separate sections (something we haven't seen before on a flash drive) and it can conflict with your drive mappings if you have a lot of network drives. The second drive is only needed to add new finger prints, so it isn't a big issue after the initial setup, but we struggled to use it on our work machine as we have multiple network drives already configured. Taking it to a separate, non-networked machine fixed this problem.
We had no issues with the scanner's operation. It worked perfectly, taking a single clean swipe to register our print. Prior to scanning the drive shows up, but gives a formatting error. A single swipe opens it up and leaves it open until you remove the drive from the PC.
Aside from biometrics, the Profile also offers a variety of encryption options to further secure your data. The proprietary Cruzerlock software allows easy drag and drop encryption of any files you wish to store securely; access is granted by a standard username and password system. By default the Profile comes with the basic version of Cruzerlock, but you can choose to purchase an upgraded version, which gives enhanced functionality including network file sharing, the ability to control the level of access to your data (read only etc.) and the ability to lock the files to a single machine. For most people the basic version should be more than adequate.
There are a few other useful programs as well. Cruzersync allows easy synchronisation of your Outlook, Lotus Notes, Calendar, Contacts and Documents across multiple machines, while PocketCache lets you select certain important directories that are backed up automatically every time you plug your key in.
Of course all these security features come at a price; the biometric scanner does take up a fairly hefty amount of space. The Profile is twice as wide as most modern USB sticks and thus will be much more obvious hanging from your keyring or in your pocket. However it isn't a big enough problem to really be an impediment. The other design flaw is the cord that connects the two sections of the device. Why SanDisk didn't make it a single piece is beyond us. If the cord happens to break or get damaged in some way, all your data is lost. Aside from these small issues, the Cruzer Profile is an excellent storage device for the security concious.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 2 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 3 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 4 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
- 5 iPhone 8: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- QNAP Releases QTS 4.3.4. Beta for x86-Based NAS
- QNAP ships world’s first Ryzen NAS, promising boosted Virtual Machine performance
- QNAP Rolls out Quad-core 4-bay TS-453BT3 Thunderbolt 3 NAS Tailored for Creative Professionals
- Synology Introduces New Data Storage Solutions for Home and Small Offices
- Western Digital moves on Oz consumers with new storage offering
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTHead of Quality AssuranceNSW
- FTDevOps Engineer - Financial ServicesOther
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTJava Software Engineers wanted (Melbourne CBD location)VIC
- FTSenior Technical Engineer - MacVIC
- CCProcess Improvement Specialist - TelcoVIC
- FTHFC Capacity Planner | 6mth ContractOther
- FTMarketing and Advertising Project/Sales SupportOther
- FTBusiness Analyst - eCommerce/Supply ChainOther
- TPCapacity PlannerNSW
- FTNBNJP00001080 - Facilities/Capacity EngineerOther
- FTPrincipal Architect/ConsultantOther
- TPProject ManagerACT
- FTSolution Architect - API / SaaSOther
- FTChange Analyst, IT & Business ProjectsOther
- CCIT Senior Business AnalystNSW
- FTNetwork Engineer, Voice & DataOther
- FTWorkspace/ Workplace Lead/ Manager - ABW environmentOther
- TPAutomation EngineerQLD
- FTSenior Data Centre OperatorOther
- FTBusiness Intelligence Analyst (Report Analyst)Other
- FTTableau DeveloperQLD
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCBusiness Architect/Strategy AnalystVIC
- FTSAP CRM FunctionalistOther