- Great colour depth in a darkened room
- LCD technology produces 'flyscreen' effect
Sanyo's PLV-Z3 runs quietly and produces outstanding images for a home theatre model. The only catch is the 'flyscreen' inherent to LCD technology.
Price$ 3,699.00 (AUD)
Sanyo's PLVZ3 LCD-based home theatre projector offers compelling features for the movie buff. The model has a 16:9 aspect ratio at a 1280 x 720 pixel resolution (720p), with an 800 ANSI-lumen brightness rating and 2000:1 contrast ratio.
The relatively low brightness rating demonstrates the PLVZ3 is designed for use in a darkened home theatre environment, as the lamp isn't powerful enough to overcome ambient light. It looks great in a dimly lit room, though, achieving deep colour saturation, and accurate shades of black. The machine includes a number of presets for brightness, contrast and colour temperature, and the fan remains whisper quiet in the modes commonly used for watching movies in a dark room.
The rear of the projector offers up HDMI, VGA, S-Video, composite and two sets of component inputs. The black LCD unit features a novel lens cover that slides out to protect the entire face when not in operation. Another unusual feature is the positioning of lens shift dials on the front face, immediately to the right of the lens. The rest of the menu, input and navigation buttons can be found on the top panel and remote control.
The machine relies on LCD panels to produce the image, and suffers from the same flyscreen effect as other non-DLP models. (LCD projectors produce a gap between each pixel on the projected surface, which gives the effect of looking at the image through a screen door.)
The image processing is top-notch, and the 4.1kg PLVZ3 produces clean, clear images from DVD or broadcast digital TV.
This projector is packed with features, including access to the LCD panels to clear dust particles, and the unit even comes with a rubber blower to direct a jet of air over the panels and keep it as good as new. The remote control sports backlit buttons, which is appropriate for a projector intended for use in a home theatre environment.
At 36 x 11 x 27cm, it's quite big, but elegant features like the ability to clean the LCD panels, quiet operation, a range of inputs, and outstanding image quality help make the Sanyo PLVZ3 a compelling home theatre projector--provided you can get over the flyscreen effect generated by the LCD panels.
Join the newsletter!
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Apple iPhone X
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
cloudandco Smart Cane
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Toys for Boys
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Xbox One X
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Sony's Android-powered Xperia projector turns any flat surface into a touch screen
- Sony’s new liquid-cooled 4K home video projector delivers 5000 lumens of brightness, costs $60,000
- BenQ targets Epson with revamped home entertainment projectors
- LG's new Laser Display gives you 100in of full HD glory
- Win an iPad or a Samsung Galaxy Tab in the 2012 PC World Media Usage survey
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCOracle CRM OD (On Demand) Consultant - Telecom IndustryVIC
- CCSolaris / Oracle SPARC administratorVIC
- FTSystems ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Application SpecialistNSW
- FTSAP Lead Solution ArchitectOther
- CCPega ArchitectVIC
- FTSenior Change ManagerNSW
- FTJunior Front End DeveloperOther
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- TPIT Technical WriterNSW
- FTLevel 1 Application Support (POS)QLD
- FTInfrastructure/ Hybrid Cloud Architect - Government OrganisationVIC
- FTSenior Siebel DeveloperACT
- FTMid-Senior PHP DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCSenior AngularJS DeveloperNSW
- FTMarketing and Advertising Project/Sales SupportOther
- TPTechnical Project CoordinatorVIC
- FTSenior Strategy Specialist - Direct / ConsumerOther
- FTService Desk CoordinatorVIC
- TPBusiness Analyst | AO6 | Government ContractQLD
- FTDevOps EngineerNSW
- CCNetwork ArchitectVIC
- CCCloud Test EngineerNSW
- FTSalesforce Platform LeadOther