SCEE Formula One Championship Edition
- Gorgeous HD graphics; easy to play for first-timers; speed, speed, speed!
- Not a knock on the game, but F1 Racing has limited appeal in the US
Fun for everyone — including you, race-game hater.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
With blazing speeds approaching 215 miles per hour, fragile cars, and highly demanding, technical race courses, the international F1 circuit serves as an interesting counterpoint to the far more popular macho, roughneck world of NASCAR.
Amazingly, Formula One Championship Edition captures all of these themes. Perhaps the greatest compliment that can be paid to this game is that it feels markedly different than a NASCAR racing game.
A big part of the reason that the game feels different is the hair-raising, awe-inspiring sensation of speed. The first three or four times I played, my friend Matt was hanging out with me. At one point, I flawlessly executed the final 180-degree turn at the Bahrain track and, as I entered the straightway, hit a top speed of 210 miles per hour. The feeling of speed was so intense down this straight that we both went slack-jawed, wide-eyed nuts, uttering a chorus of profanities salty enough to make a nun faint.
But this is how F1 Championship Edition rolls. Clearly, the power of the PS3 has been successfully harnessed because the game's speedy gameplay does not come with any sacrifice to graphical quality. The cars, environments, and race tracks all look close to photorealistic.
Believe it or not, there's an element of game design here that is actually more important than the photorealistic graphics and manic sensation of speed. With F1 Championship Edition, Sony's UK-based Liverpool development studio has crafted an authentic-feeling experience that won't piss off inexperienced gamers who don't know F1 from B12.
The key is a series of gameplay aids that help you race without destroying yourself. As an example, as you zip around the course, a virtual green line is painted on the screen that demonstrates the ideal "line" that you should utilise when entering corners. Another example is the auto downshifting of gears as you enter tight turns. Even better, during race week, AI mechanics make all the necessary car adjustments based on your driving performance during practice laps.
Hardcore racers will be happy to know that you can turn off all these aids and manually adjust and control every racing element to your heart's content.
This is not to say that F1 Championship Edition is easy. In my first two races, I blazed top speeds that landed me in the pole position. But racing against a field of 22 drivers is a different experience entirely than racing against the clock. In both races, I choked and wrecked out in the first three laps. Frustrating, sure, but it's refreshing to have some goals to work towards in a video game.
Join the newsletter!
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
cloudandco Smart Cane
Apple iPhone X
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Toys for Boys
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Bose SoundLink Micro
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Xbox One X
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 TCL X2 review: QLED escapes the premium market
- 2 Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- 3 Acer Spin 5 review: Value for money but conditions apply
- 4 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 5 Sony LF-S50G review: Google Assistant and then some
Latest News Articles
- Overwatch League draws millions of eyes in first week
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By MadCatz
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By Razer
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By HyperX
- CES 2018: HyperX announces Wireless Cloud Flight Headset and RGB range
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- JBL Link 10 review
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- TPChange AnalystVIC
- CCTest Analyst - Port Macquarie NSWNSW
- CCTableau Developer - Telco - Contract - SydneyNSW
- FTSAP Functional Analyst- Time Management, VIM, BPC, HCM FioriOther
- CCSenior Test Automation Engineers x 3NSW
- CCNetwork Security - DNSVIC
- FTNetwork ArchitectQLD
- CCAIX System Administration ? UNIXVIC
- CCIBM FileNet ConsultantsSA
- FTNetwork EngineerNSW
- FTSenior AEM ConsultantACT
- CCNetwork operation engineerVIC
- CCJava Developers wanted (Melbourne CBD location)VIC
- FTNatural/ADABAS ProgrammerVIC
- FTSales/Account Manager - Government SectorNSW
- TPSenior Business Systems AnalystQLD
- FTAutomation Test Analyst- QTP/UFT scripting - X5Other
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - CMS / DMSOther
- FTBusiness AnalystSA
- CCSenior Project Manager - Infrastructure ServicesVIC
- FTData Centre Server EngineerOther
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectOther
- FTWLM Hanna Data ModellersACT
- FTSenior Systems Engineer / Azure, VMware, O365 X 2Other