Seagate FreeAgent Go
An external hard drive earns its price tag.
- Attractive design, good transfer speeds, runs relatively cool and silent, simple and useful bundled software
The Seagate FreeAgent Go proves that beauty and brawn can go together, with modern chic and high performance in a great device. If you're in the market for an external hard drive, and you can afford this unit, the Go is definitely worth looking at.
Price$ 369.00 (AUD)
The Seagate FreeAgent Go is a cost-effective external USB 2.0 hard drive with a sleek, modern design and very fast transfer rates. It packs 500GB of storage in its 2.5in form factor, so it’s good if you want something that is portable yet has a huge capacity.
The drive inside the casing employs perpendicular magnetic recording; it runs quietly and is also very cool. It has a spin speed of 5400rpm, and there are only two platters inside it, each of which has a 250GB capacity.
It’s an undeniably cool-looking hard drive that is small enough to fit into a pocket — it measures 130(L)x80(W)x13(H)mm. The model we received was black, but it is available in a range of colours. We do like the black model: it has a matte finish, which means casing lacks the fingerprint-prone gloss found in other devices like the LaCie Sam Hecht Little Disk. The drive also feels solid, which is always important for a device that is designed to be taken from place to place.
A patterned series of holes in the case allow the LED to emit a glow, which fades in and out when the hard drive is inactive and shines at full strength when the drive is being used.
It isn't all about looks; speed is another highlight of the FreeAgent Go. We transferred 5GB worth of files between the Go and a PC using Seagate's 7200rpm Barracuda ES2. It achieved a read speed of 28.9 megabytes per second and a write speed of 23.3MBps. This makes it one of the fastest external hard drives we've tested. It also notched up a copy transfer speed (where we copy data from one location on the drive to another) of 13.2MBps. This is a much faster result than its most well-known competitor, the Western Digital My Passport Elite 320GB, which recorded 8.9MBps in the same test.
The FreeAgent ships with a dual-head USB cable, which is handy if you own a computer that doesn’t have fully powered USB 2.0 ports. For most new laptops and PCs, only one USB port will be needed.
The drive is bundled with Seagate Manger software, which is a backup and sync coordinator. The program allows you to select which files to back up and when you want the process to occur, and it is very user-friendly. Although it allows a nice amount of control over the hard drive, it doesn't overburden users with too much information.
Indeed, the lack of excess software (a.k.a. "bloatware") means that buyers won't end up installing a range of useless programs.
With a formatted capacity of 465GB, the cost per gigabyte is 79.4 cents, which is in line with major competitors, like the WD drive mentioned earlier.
So if you're looking for a fast, attractive and cost-effective portable hard drive in time for Christmas, then the Seagate FreeAgent Go is worth considering.
Join the newsletter!
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
cloudandco Smart Cane
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Apple iPhone X
Toys for Boys
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Bose SoundLink Micro
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Xbox One X
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Google Home Mini review: a welcome addition to the smart speaker family.
- 4 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 5 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
Latest News Articles
- QNAP Releases QTS 4.3.4. Beta for x86-Based NAS
- QNAP ships world’s first Ryzen NAS, promising boosted Virtual Machine performance
- QNAP Rolls out Quad-core 4-bay TS-453BT3 Thunderbolt 3 NAS Tailored for Creative Professionals
- Synology Introduces New Data Storage Solutions for Home and Small Offices
- Western Digital moves on Oz consumers with new storage offering
PCW Evaluation Team
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- Xbox One X review: Brave new world
- Western Digital My Cloud Home review: Take back the cloud
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTLevel 2/Level 3 Application Support AnalystVIC
- CCProblem manager - OSS, Service Assurance appsVIC
- TPIT OfficerVIC
- CCExstream DeveloperNSW
- CCOracle DeveloperVIC
- FTCustomer Service RepresentativeOther
- CCSCCM Deployment TechnicianACT
- CCDynamics AX Functional Consultant ? Finance | Supply ChainQLD
- TPWeb Communications OfficerACT
- FTCyber Security Governance SpecialistOther
- FTProject Manager - Develop Strategy. Need RISI card, Rail bckgrdOther
- FTSolution ArchitectOther
- FTBusiness Analysts Wanted!Other
- CCWeb Applications Project ManagerNSW
- FTSQL DeveloperQLD
- FTInfrastructure Design Engineer, DC Power, CommunicationsOther
- CCM204 Developers - Federal GovernmentNSW
- FTSenior Network ArchitectVIC
- FTTeam and Project Administrator - SalesforceQLD
- FTTest ManagerOther
- FTMultiple SOC Analyst RolesOther
- FTSenior Consultant - Portfolio GovernanceVIC
- FTPortfolio Management & Governance ConsultantOther
- FTTechnical Solutions ArchitectVIC
- FTSenior Systems EngineerVIC