Seagate Replica external hard drive (500 GB)
A stylish Seagate external hard drive
- Easy backup
- Inflexible software
The Seagate Replica external hard drive looks good, and can be a great time saver. The no-nonsense backup and easy restoration of all data make it an attractive tool in the kit of those who need to maintain systems (albeit systems with relatively low-capacity HDDs). It is also useful for home users who don't want to keep bothering about data backups or about software that may be complex to understand. However, functionality of the Replica drive comes at a price premium compared to normal external drives.
Price$ 149.00 (AUD)
When all external hard drives are clones for all practical purposes, manufacturers see unique functionality as a differentiator and value add. To this end, Seagate has come up with what they can call an appliance -- the "Replica Complete PC Backup System".
It is an external hard drive that connects to your laptop/desktop PC over a USB 2.0 cable. Our unit was colored grey, with rounded edges on two sides, and a blinking blue activity indicator on top. You can use it as a normal USB hard drive, with file-transfer speeds on par with any other USB drive. The fun starts once you allow it to install Seagate Replica software on your PC.
The software allows for restoring deleted files or even your entire operating system and all folders. It does its work quietly, does not ask you any complex questions or lead you through wizards to setup itself. All files on the laptop/desktop hard disk are backed up automatically, and on a continuous basis as long as the machine is switched on and the Replica drive is connected. You don't need to remember to backup, or be subject to losing files that were created between backup schedules.
With the Replica you have a backup copy of all your files, which can be restored if you accidentally delete them, or your OS is corrupted, or your main hard drive fails. Note that the backup functionality is implemented as a Windows application, so you need Windows XP or a later version of Windows to use it.
Before installing the software, the Replica drive shows up like any other. But once installed, it ties in to your "My Computer" window as a special object, not as a normal drive. Clicking on this object starts up the integrated browsing feature -- you can see a list of names of PCs that are backed up, and then navigate through to the folder or file you want to retrieve.
Restoring all the data of a backed up machine is simple. Connect the Replica drive via USB, boot from the provided Recovery CD, and click through the step-by-step graphical wizard to restore the system to its former state.
Those who have installed Ubuntu or Fedora Linux will recognise the GUI. The Recovery CD is only 65 MB, and uses the IsoLinux bootloader to boot into a LiveCD-like interface.Our favourite grudges with this backup solution? It is not possible to choose what you backup, absolutely everything on all partitions of your system hard drive is backed up. There is actually no graphical interface to configure the software, other than the system tray it offers. Also, since it does not wait for schedules to backup, be ready to suffer a slow system for the first day or so, while all your data gets "replicated" for the first time, with heavy disk activity (took about 6 hours for us with 200GB of data to be backed up).
The "multi-PC" label for a 500GB drive induces humour, considering the software insists on copying the entire hard drive as-is, and that one terabyte desktop drives are common. Seagate could probably have still got away lightly if they had labelled it "multi-laptop" instead. Lastly, while it does help cut down on time spent backing up with its software, there is a price premium for this feature. However it still manages to come out looking better than the offering by ClickFree. The drive model includes a "dock" that can hold the drive vertically to save desk space. Admittedly, the dock makes it look quite stylish.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- QNAP Releases QTS 4.3.4. Beta for x86-Based NAS
- QNAP ships world’s first Ryzen NAS, promising boosted Virtual Machine performance
- QNAP Rolls out Quad-core 4-bay TS-453BT3 Thunderbolt 3 NAS Tailored for Creative Professionals
- Synology Introduces New Data Storage Solutions for Home and Small Offices
- Western Digital moves on Oz consumers with new storage offering
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTChange AnalystOther
- FTRegional Market Manager - Wide Bay RegionQLD
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTFinance Business PartnerOther
- FTInfrastructure/ Hybrid Cloud Architect - Government OrganisationVIC
- FTSenior Front End Developer - ReactJSOther
- FTTechnical Digital ProducerOther
- FTBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTTechnical Operations ManagerOther
- TPBusiness Analyst ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantACT
- CCEnterprise Architect ? Network & InfrastructureNSW
- FTSenior Network Engineer - Client TechnologiesOther
- CCSenior Process SpecialistNSW
- TPOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- FTSenior Project Manager- Infrastructure & Application upgradeOther
- FTManager, Digital DeliveryOther
- FTAutomation Framework DeveloperVIC
- CCData AnalystQLD
- TPDelivery Lead - IT Services Function - Day rateNSW
- FTSenior Software Test AnalystOther
- FTTechnical Lead / Senior Systems EngineerOther
- CCCisco ACI Senior Network Engineer, Technical Consultant Or Network ArchitectNSW
- FTJava Software Engineers wanted (Melbourne CBD location)VIC
- CCJunior .Net Developer /Analyst ProgrammerQLD