Serif WebPlus X2
- An easy to use drag-and-drop page design, RSS tool
- Some of the special effects aren't that great; lacks direct code editing
A lack of direct code editing features makes Serif WebPlus X2 unsuitable for professional site design – but there's enough here to keep most other users more than happy. Packed with features, brimming with extra resources and integrated with Serif's own Web services, it's a comprehensive and cost-effective choice.
Price$ 79.99 (AUD)
Serif WebPlus X2 is a feature-packed Web site-authoring tool that won't break your budget – but does it come up to scratch?
Serif has a long history of creative software development, building inclusive tools at budget prices. Serif WebPlus X2 is no exception, packed with extra resources, easy to use wizards and comprehensive documentation.
The generous templates and clipart are a Serif trait, but we were surprised at how functional the Serif WebPlus X2 Web-authoring package actually is. Serif WebPlus X2 is aimed at casual users, providing a drag-and-drop page design environment that doesn't require any coding experience whatsoever. In fact, Serif WebPlus X2 feels more like a desktop-publishing package than a Web-authoring application. There's no code produced until your site's published – and from our tests the results are clean and readable should you wish to make any manual edits.
There's enough in Serif WebPlus X2 to keep more demanding users happy too – like RSS tools that enable you to insert blog headlines and news feeds. Dynamic forms can be created with a couple of clicks and there are site-management tools too. These include full publishing features, traffic reports and improved search engine optimisation to make sure your pages appear within Google's search results.
For upgraders from previous versions of Serif WebPlus there are several new functions making their debuts. Extended media features includes YouTube clip, podcast and Flash-animated gallery support. All are menu driven, requiring nothing more complicated than typing in a link or two.
There are even dynamic data features, with database and forum connectivity, that use Serif-provided Web services. These are insertable as "Smart Objects" directly into your Serif WebPlus X2 pages.
Like many template driven, drag-and-drop design tools, the quality of your site is dependent in part on the quality of the resources provided. The Serif WebPlus X2 package boasts 30 "professionally produced" templates which, although varied in quality, are better than those that many similar tools provide. Some of the special effects, borders and clipart are all a bit "MySpace" for adult tastes, however.
Join the newsletter!
Roam freely in the digital world. Critically acclaimed performance and security at your fingertips.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
- 5 LG V30+ Review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
Latest News Articles
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Transport for NSW boosts digital experience with Amazon Alexa
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- Businesses jump on Amazon’s Alexa after Australian launch date revealed
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Sony a7R Mk III review: The strongest case yet for ditching your DSLR
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Oppo R11s: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCSenior Solution ArchitectQLD
- FTDevelopment Expert (EL1)SA
- CCAndroid Developer - SeniorVIC
- FTInside Sales Representative - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- FTSenior Android DeveloperOther
- CCIOS DeveloperNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectWA
- CCNode.js DeveloperQLD
- FTService Delivery ManagerWA
- FTSenior Project Manager - OFM ImplementationOther
- CCBRM DeveloperVIC
- TPAgile CoachNSW
- FTIntegration DeveloperOther
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- FTJunior level .NET DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager, Business Operations ImprovementsOther
- TPSenior Network EngineerWA
- FTFull Stack Developer - Permanent OpportunityNSW
- TPSenior Project Manager: ApplicationsQLD
- FTDNS Security SpecialistOther
- FTSenior Pega Developer (Pega Senior Systems Architect)Other
- TPSenior Project Manager | Process & SystemsQLD
- FTSupport Analyst - Level 1-2Other
- TPProject ManagerQLD
- FTBusiness Consultant/Analyst (Entry level)VIC