Sharp Helmet Ion Generator (IGCH2JW)
This device uses 'plasmacluster ions' to keep your helmet free from odours and allergens
- Easy to use
- Gives your helmet a nice clean feeling
- Has to sit on the generator for an extended period of time
- New car smell isn’t friendly
Sharp's Helmet Ion Generator does a good job of cleaning your motorbike, skiing or horse-riding helmet. It has a fresh, clean result, although the 'new car' smell isn't always pleasant.
Price$ 149.00 (AUD)
Any motorcycle rider knows that there can be a funky stink that hovers around you on rides. This isn’t caused by riding in the tailwind of garbage trucks, but from sitting in traffic on hot summer days and sweating into your helmet.
Unless you’re fastidious about cleanliness and take the helmet lining out and regularly wash it, chances are you just put up with the smell. Or get used to it.
Sharp has come up with another solution — its Ion Generator with Plasmacluster.
The technical specs for the generator are as complex as you’d expect. The product has been designed to clear out bacteria and mold from inside motorbike and scooter helmets, without wetting the lining. It can be used on full-faced, open-faced and half-type helmets, depending on the level of skin grafting you’d like with your helmet in case of an accident.
Sharp says the ion feature of the product works by harnessing positive and negative ions with air purification technology, to decompose and remove bacteria.
Despite the complicated science behind the product, it is easy to use — you plug the connector into the unit and then into a power point. You place the helmet on the top of the generator just above the filter and then switch it on and leave it running.
Sharp recommends you leave the helmet on the unit for at least eight hours. The company also wisely recommends you don’t ride the generator.
We left it on the unit for 6 and a half hours. Our helmet was relatively new and not heavily used over the summer months, so a smell test for whether the generator worked was hard to judge. We wore our helmet about 20 minutes after taking it off the generator and could feel a difference — it felt clean and crisp.
However, there was faint new car smell inside the helmet after using the ion generator. We started to get a headache from the new car smell after about 15 minutes of riding. To avoid this, we’d recommend you leave the helmet to rest overnight after using the ion generator.
The product has an easy-to-clean filter which can be easily popped out from the bottom of the unit. We inspected the filter after we ran the generator and there didn’t seem to be any dust trapped in it, but Sharp recommends the filter be cleaned every six months. There is also a cleaning brush provided which can be accessed at the back of the unit.
The idea of an ion generator is a good one. It takes the hassle out of cleaning your helmet, it’s an easy product to use, and it seemed to do the job well. However, the helmet needs to sit on the generator for a long time and it has a headache-inducing smell afterwards. We’re also not sure how big the market would be for this kind of product.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
- 5 LG V30+ Review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
Latest News Articles
- MWC 2018: Alcatel detail 2018 smartphone portfolio
- This week in games: Final Fantasy XV adds Half-Life's star, Blizzard hosts a Warcraft III tourney
- Walmart has the Intel Core i7-8700K for just over $300 today
- Massive EA Origin game sale slashes prices on Battlefield, Star Wars, Mass Effect, and more
- Google takes Assistant worldwide with new languages and custom phone integrations
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Sony a7R Mk III review: The strongest case yet for ditching your DSLR
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Oppo R11s: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- TPBusiness Analyst - Office 365QLD
- FTFront End Developer (Java, Angular, TypeScript)Other
- FTPublic Cloud Infrastructure EngineerOther
- CCDeveloper - DeliveryNSW
- CCSenior Java developer - Insurance BackgroundQLD
- TPSenior Java DeveloperQLD
- CCProject Manager -AgileWA
- TPManager, IT and Digital SupportVIC
- TP.NET DeveloperACT
- FTNetwork Designer/ Network DesignOther
- FTPortfolio & Governance Senior AnalystVIC
- CCFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- CCFront-End Developer (React)NSW
- TPSenior Solution ArchitectACT
- FTPrincipal Solutions Architect - Big Data and AnalyticsOther
- TPProject CoordinatorVIC
- FTSenior Insight AnalystOther
- FTOBIEE DeveloperACT
- FTSenior Software Engineer - JavaOther
- CCFull Stack Developer - Java/J2EE, Angular and REactVIC
- FTSCRUM Master .Net DeveloperOther
- FTOracle DBA - Permanent PositionQLD
- FTSales Manager - Global ISP Cloud Solutions ProviderVIC
- FTInfrastructure ManagerNSW