Shazam (iPhone app)
This free iPhone app identifies songs that you play to it and then tells you what they are
- Let's you find out what that song is called, free
- Doesn't cope with live music well, may cause your iTunes bill to soar.
It's free. You will want to use it at least once a week. Get it now.
If you have ever wondered about the name of a song on radio, or wanted to know the name of the band whose song is playing in a store then Shazam is for you. This free iPhone app records a snippet of a song then identifies it.
To get started, you simply need to click the "Tag Now" button on the top-right of the screen. Shazam will then record a 10-second sample of a song using the iPhone's microphone. The app encodes the sample and sends it to the Shazam servers. If the song is recognised, you will get a results screen with a picture of the album cover and the name of the artist, the song and the album.
You can't identify all songs. Shazam will normally only recognise songs that have been released on an album or as a single. Live music won't be recognised and neither will whistling or humming. If there is too much noise around you, the app may also have difficulty. You will usually have enough time to get a second sample and have another attempt at identifying the music.
Shazam keeps a record of the songs you have tagged, and has a small wizard which lets you sort in different orders, such as by tagging date or by artist name.
Once you have tagged a song, you are also able to send an e-mail with the song details preloaded by simply clicking on the "Share tag" button. We can't recommend this as a pickup tool when a cute girl asks for the name of a song that's playing at a party — but at least you'll get her e-mail address.
If you want to hear the song once you've tagged it, you will usually have a few options. Shazam will give you a list of links to the song on YouTube and a link to the song on iTunes, so you can hear the preview or purchase it right then.
If you tagged a song because the singer's voice sounded familiar but you don't recognise the band's name, you can click on the artist biography button. This shows you a biography from All Music Guide. For some albums you will also be able to read a review.
In areas without mobile reception or Wi-Fi access, Shazam can store a sample and look up the song later.
There are a few things that could be improved. Some of the Aussie music on Triple-J is often not recognised despite being available for purchase from iTunes. It would also be great to be able to use this app to identify songs that play while you use other apps (the YouTube app, for example). This is probably a failing of the iPhone architecture rather than Shazam itself, however.
Join the newsletter!
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
cloudandco Smart Cane
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Apple iPhone X
Toys for Boys
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Xbox One X
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- 2 Acer Spin 5 review: Value for money but conditions apply
- 3 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 4 Sony LF-S50G review: Google Assistant and then some
- 5 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
Latest News Articles
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
- Amazon confirms early 2018 Australian launch for Alexa and Echo
- JBL join smart speaker arena with the portable, waterproof and (Google-powered) JBL Link range
- University of Sydney Signs World-First Agreement with Dropbox
- Microsoft delves deeper into AI with new kit bag of tools
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories
- CES 2018: Alcatel Embrace 18:9 Aspect Ratio In 2018
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- TPProject DirectorQLD
- FTRostering Analyst / Training Analyst/ Workforce ManagementOther
- CCProject Manager ? COTS ImplementationsQLD
- FTSenior Java DeveloperOther
- CCInformation Security AnalystNSW
- FTLead Business AnalystOther
- FTJAVA DevelopersACT
- CCAgile Project Manager/Scrum MasterNSW
- FTSenior Sharepoint Web DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - MortgagesOther
- FTAutomation Test Analyst- QTP/UFT scripting - X5Other
- FTTest Analyst - SAP ERPOther
- CCGeospatial Project ManagerNSW
- FTNatural/ADABAS ProgrammerWA
- FTUX Design Manager (Urgent!!)Other
- FTIntegration SpecialistNSW
- FTApplication Support AnalystOther
- FTChange Lead - 12 Month Contract!Other
- TPTechnical Project OfficerQLD
- FTData AnalystOther
- FTDevops EngineerOther
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperWA
- FTMid-Senior PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTMid / Senior Level Functional Banking ConsultantsOther
- FTFront End DeveloperOther