Sitecom Wireless Internet USB Phone
- Ease of setup, works with many voice applications
- No hands-free speakerphone, no display, basic features, wireless range of 10 metres
The Sitecom IT-002 is a basic VoIP phone that scores points for value, ease of setup and the fact that it can be used with a number of applications. However, its wireless range is poor and it doesn't have a display screen.
Price$ 89.00 (AUD)
The Sitecom IT-002 Wireless Internet USB phone is a VoIP phone that allows you to make calls over the Internet. It's also compatible with a number of voice applications, including Skype and MSN Messenger. The IT-002 uses a 2.4GHz radio frequency via a USB dongle, which offers a wireless range of up to 10 metres.
The IT-002's design is reminiscent of a standard mobile phone, and it looks quite sleek. Finished in a dark blue plastic with grey and silver trim, most would be hard pressed to see the difference from a regular mobile phone. Unfortunately, the IT-002 doesn't include a standard display. Instead, what looks like a screen is merely a Sitecom logo that lights either white or red, to indicate that the phone is on and ready for use, or that it's currently charging.
The IT-002 consists of a small keypad, 'answer' and 'end' call keys, 'up' and 'down' keys along with dedicated keys that bring up your default voice program (Skype or MSN Messenger or a software phone for a VoIP account such as MyNetFone, for example) and the Sitecom software. The keypad is below these controls, but each key requires a firm press to operate and they keys aren't raised enough to provide adequate tactility. Those with large fingers may find it awkward, as the keys are quite small and very close together. The keys and controls aren't backlit either, so calling at night time may be a concern. The arrow buttons scroll through Skype tabs, so users can easily view and dial their saved Skype contacts using the IT-002.
Setup is a very simple process. Just install the included software, charge the handset via the included USB cable and then plug the USB dongle into a spare USB port on your computer. Windows will automatically configure the hardware and then the IT-002 is ready to use. The IT-002 requires your computer to be switched on and the USB dongle plugged in order to function. The dongle has a small blue LED on its side, indicating that it's connected to the handset.
During testing, the IT-002 produced a mixed bag of results. Using Skype, we were able to hold a conversation, but the quality of the conversation was poor. In particular, the volume of the handset could have been louder, as we struggled to hear the caller through background noise, even with the volume at its highest level. The quality of calls isn't as crisp or clear as we would have liked either. Keep in mind that VoIP calls do depend on the quality of your Internet connection. Our tests were conducted using a dedicated iiNet ADSL2+ connection, which offers a download speed up to 24Mbps and an upload speed of 1Mbps. These speeds are more than enough for voice data.
Sitecom quotes a wireless range of "five to 10 metres in an open environment" for the IT-002, but we found that the quality of calls diminished after we ventured more than eight metres away from the dongle. Keep in mind that this distance isn't long enough to be able to walk around your home or office while on a call, so although the unit is wireless, you'll still need to be fairly close to your PC. The IT-002 also includes four ring tones, and these can be changed by pressing the 'down' key and scrolling through the available options as they play. The Sitecom software can also be used to change these ring tones, as well as adjust the speaker and microphone volumes.
The IT-002 runs off a 600 mAH battery, which is charged via a standard mini-USB cable, the port for which is located at the bottom of the phone. Battery life is rated at up to 48 hours of standby time and six hours of talk time, so it compares favourably with a regular mobile phone.
Join the newsletter!
Bringing VR out of office and study spaces will serve to help it attract the new audiences it needs to continue growing
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
- 5 LG V30+ Review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
Latest News Articles
- Netgear announces local availability for Nighthawk X4S Wi-Fi extender
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By Netgear
- CES 2018: D-Link Demonstrates New Connected Innovations
- Razer Partners With Ignition Design Labs on Gaming-Grade Wi-Fi
- Netgear target small businesses with Orbi Pro
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Sony a7R Mk III review: The strongest case yet for ditching your DSLR
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Oppo R11s: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCSenior Solution ArchitectACT
- TPProject Manager - Governance and L&DQLD
- FTIntegration SpecialistQLD
- CCLSS Black Belt ConsultantVIC
- CCITS Desktop / Support SpecialistNSW
- CCHelpdesk TechnicianNSW
- CCSystems AnalystACT
- CCSenior Splunk DeveoperVIC
- TPChange Lead | UtilitiesQLD
- CCSystem Infrastructure EngineerNSW
- CCRadio EngineerVIC
- FTSupport Analyst - Level 1-2Other
- FTProject ManagerSA
- FTReporting AnalystOther
- FTProductivity Specialist (Black Belt level)Other
- FTTechnical BA/Scrum MasterOther
- FTService Desk Engineer/IT Help desk SupportVIC
- CCX2 BPE Managers - TelcoVIC
- CCTechnical Business AnalystVIC
- FTSAP IS-U and SAP EWM Greenfield implemenationVIC
- FTSenior Applications Project ManagerACT
- FTCommunications ManagerOther
- CCTeam Assistant / EA - Telco ? 12 month contract - Nth Sydney - URGENT STARTNSW
- FTSAP HCM Lead - ECS.111, SAP HR PA/OMOther
- FTBusiness Intelligence DeveloperNSW