Skype for Android
The Skype for Android VoIP service lets you text-chat and make Skype voice calls using a Wi-Fi or 3G connection
- Great way to save money
- No video calling
Skype for Android is a useful way to make free VoIP calls without using up your mobile phone minutes. And most people will probably be happy to have an alternative way to make calls when indoor mobile reception is poor. If and when this app is updated to include video calling, it will become a five-star app.
With more than 500 million user accounts worldwide, Skype is one of the most popular free VoIP services around. Skype is probably most famous for its video-chat service, but it also provides telephony (the paid Skype-out feature even allows you to call landline and mobile phone numbers) and text-chat services.
The Skype for Android VoIP service lets you text-chat and make Skype voice calls using a Wi-Fi or 3G connection. Note that you may be charged for using your phone's data connection, though, and Skype for Android can't do video chat. Since most Android phones don't have a front-facing camera, the lack of video chat isn't surprising. Still, it would be nice to see this feature available for phones that can take advantage of it.
Using the Skype for Android VoIP service is fairly straightforward. To begin, log in or create a Skype account if you don't already have one. Skype deserves credit for making it possible to create an account with the app. You can upload a profile photo and add details to your user profile right from the phone.
If you are already a Skype user, the Skype for Android VoIP service lets you integrate your Skype Contacts with your Android Contacts - a huge time-saver.
Making calls is straightforward: just select or type in a contact, push the Call button, and the call begins. In our tests, Skype for Android's sound quality was adequate but not stellar. Conversation was intelligible, but often accompanied by static or a very slight delay. None of these defects were significant enough to hinder conversation in this VoIP app, however.
During a call, you can mute the microphone or even pause the connection. A speakerphone option is also available, but it was not loud enough to be useful in a noisy environment. Skype for Android's speakerphone setting also seemed to be vulnerable to feedback. This feature needs some work.
When receiving calls, you see the caller ID along with your caller's profile picture. The Skype for Android VoIP service also lets you add the caller to your Contacts.
Text chatting in Skype for Android works just like most instant messaging services. You can connect to several people at once in the same chat. However, you can't send photos or files using this VoIP service, which is disappointing.
Skype-to-Skype calls are free with Skype for Android, but you can also purchase Skype Credit to make calls to landline and mobile phone numbers. Charges are by the minute, and vary according to the country you are calling. You can purchase additional Skype Credit within the VoIP app.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung's 960 Pro and 960 Evo SSDs marry crazy-fast speeds with roomy capacity
- Start-up sells a stamp-sized Linux server for $5
- Boom: SanDisk just dropped the world's largest SD card
- IBM targets x86 server territory with new Power servers
- As Dell and HPE revamp, Lenovo sets sights on enterprise cloud servers
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming motherboard review
- The simple RAM buying guide
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- TPInformation Management SpecialistVIC
- FTProject Control Analyst - PMOACT
- CCTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTWintel Engineer - Website hostingNSW
- FTSystem Analyst - IntegrationQLD
- FTSQL BI Report DeveloperQLD
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- FTManager, DevOpsQLD
- FTJunior - Mid Level Technical Customer SupportQLD
- CCState-wide Business Transition Lead - BrisbaneVIC
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksQLD
- FTUAT CoordinatorQLD
- TPSenior Developer - API - Data ReportingNSW
- TPImplementation Planner | P90 |$1300/dayQLD
- FTBusiness AnalystACT
- FTPrincipal Consultant / Account Delivery Executive.NSW
- FTSenior Network EngineerNSW
- FTSupport Engineer Level 3QLD
- FTIntegration SpecialistQLD
- TPProject Manager - ProcurementQLD
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTService Desk Analyst Level 2 SupportQLD
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- FTSenior Activations Performance Analyst | $700pdVIC