Snap Appliance Snap Server 1100
- Great features, easy setup
- Lacklustre performance
The Snap Server is a top-notch network-attached storage device that would appeal to both IT professionals and power users. Its security features were noteworthy, but its performance was not.
Price$ 596.70 (AUD)
For small to medium-size offices, the Snap Server 1100 is a popular choice. Of the NAS units we tested, this device has the most capable software, including advanced features such as support for NetWare, AppleShare, and NFS servers (for cross-platform setups and older devices). The Snap Server 1100 also supports HTTP (Web browser) and FTP access; flexible user-security and group-security settings; and the ability to sync one Snap Server with another over a network.
Don't let this extensive set of features scare you off. Basic setup is quite easy: just plug in the Snap Server 1100 and type http://SNAP plus the server number shown on the bottom of the unit (for example, http://SNAP30123), and the Web Administration tool will open in your Web browser.
The Snap Server's default settings allow anyone on the network to access the drive and any directories/folders on it. To create a more secure situation, you can configure user, group, and file and folder-level permissions in the administration utility. User guides in Snap Appliance's online support area explain how to set up permissions, a great benefit for non-IT types.
For backing up local PCs to the NAS, the Snap Server 1100 comes with Symantec V2i Protector, a feature-filled utility that can back up any selection of files and folders, or even a full system, and restore them from a specified point in time.
We were hoping that the Snap Server 1100's performance would be as impressive as the advanced features, but it wasn't. It took more than twice as long to copy and write files as the best NAS units we have tested.
Join the newsletter!
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Apple iPhone X
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
cloudandco Smart Cane
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Bose SoundLink Micro
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Xbox One X
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Google Home Mini review: a welcome addition to the smart speaker family.
- 4 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 5 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
Latest News Articles
- QNAP Releases QTS 4.3.4. Beta for x86-Based NAS
- QNAP ships world’s first Ryzen NAS, promising boosted Virtual Machine performance
- QNAP Rolls out Quad-core 4-bay TS-453BT3 Thunderbolt 3 NAS Tailored for Creative Professionals
- Synology Introduces New Data Storage Solutions for Home and Small Offices
- Western Digital moves on Oz consumers with new storage offering
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- LG V30+ review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- Xbox One X review: Brave new world
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTSolution DesignerOther
- FTSenior Network ArchitectVIC
- FTSecurity Operations EngineerOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Wealth & AgileOther
- FTScrum MasterSA
- FTMachine Learning LeadOther
- CCProject Coordinator - TelcoVIC
- CCTechnical Solutions ArchitectVIC
- FTDynamics CRM ArchitectOther
- TPC++ DeveloperNSW
- CCJunior to Mid Level Tester - BrisbaneACT
- FTBlockchain DeveloperOther
- FTSystems Engineer (data centre)Other
- TPProject Manager - Windows 10QLD
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCProject ManagerACT
- CCLead Pega Systems ArchitectACT
- FTService Desk EngineerOther
- CCDevOps Engineer - AWS, Jenkins, GitVIC
- FTAPI Developer | Back EndOther
- FTSystems EngineerVIC
- FTService Modeller/DesignerACT
- FTSenior PM - Skype for BusinessOther
- FTSitecore DeveloperOther
- FTBusiness Intelligence and Insights ManagerOther