Sonim XP3 Enduro mobile phone
The Sonin XP3 Enduro is a ruggedised and waterproof phone that is hard to break and easy to use
- Very tough, waterproof to one metre for up to 30min, good interface
- Calls sound slightly muffled and fuzzy, software needs to be downloaded, only waterproof to one metre
The Sonim XP3 Enduro ruggedised GSM mobile phone is tough, waterproof and very good value. If you have an active lifestyle or work in a tough environment where accidents are common, this is a phone that's well worth a look.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
The Sonim XP3 Enduro is a ruggedised GSM mobile phone that is tough and waterproof. If you live or work in conditions where accidental drops are common, this is a phone that will come in handy.
If you're a tradie, construction worker or just a fan of the outdoors, you'll be interested in ruggedised phones. As GSM coverage grows to include increasingly remote locations, mobile phones like the Telstra F158 and the Sonim XP3 Enduro must be built to cope with the conditions.
The Sonim XP3 Enduro feels very solid and capable of taking some punishment. Sonim says that the mobile phone can be repeatedly dropped onto hard surfaces from up to two metres, and we tested this claim on a variety of surfaces.
When dropped on concrete, tiles, dirt and wood, the phone usually stayed on.
When we dropped it at an angle that focussed the force of the fall on a single corner, however, the Sonim XP3 Enduro switched off and the SIM card disconnected. This meant that we had to unscrew the back plate and remove the battery before reassembling the phone. Both the phone and the SIM card were completely undamaged.
The screws are there for a good reason. Between the back plate and the Sonim XP3 Enduro's chassis sits a small rim of clear rubber, which forms a seal that prevents water from seeping into the phone.
The Sonim XP3 boasts an IP-57 protection rating (strong dust and water resistance) and MIL-STD-810F certification.
Sonim says that the phone can be kept at a depth of up to 1 metre for 30min, and during our tests we were able to operate the phone underwater. Although the one metre limit means that scuba divers won't be text messaging anytime soon, accidentally dropping the phone into a bucket of water or a pool shouldn't cause long term damage.
Sonim utilises a simple icon-based menu with a range of functions like a phonebook, organiser, voice recorder, picture browser and call lists. The Sonim XP3 Enduro has no built-in camera or MP3 playing capability, and has only 10MB of internal storage. The menu is quick and easy to use. The well-spaced buttons make the handset simple to operate, even when wearing gloves.
By holding down the button on right side for three seconds you can turn on an LED light; you could use it if you're having trouble fitting a key into a lock in the dark, for example.
When connected via the mini-USB port to a computer with the Mobile Phone PC-Tools software installed, you can sync your address book and organiser or use the Sonim XP3 Enduro as a wireless GPRS modem to connect to the Internet. Sonim doesn't include the software with the handset, so you'll need to download it first.
Outgoing and incoming audio are fuzzy and distant sounding. This is common for water-resistant phones, as the speaker and microphone must be more isolated than in standard phones. Even so, the sound quality is good enough for comfortable conversations. According to Sonim, the XP3 Enduro has 6 hours of talk time and 320 hours of standby time.
The Sonim XP3 Enduro is available for $0 upfront on selected Crazy John's and Vodafone Cap plans of $49 a month and above or $599 upfront for the handset alone. The handset is exclusively sold through Crazy John's.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
Latest News Articles
- Panasonic launches new Windows powered Toughpad
- Oppo release limited Barcelona FC version of R11 flagship
- 3SIXT Reveals iPhone X Offering
- ALDI Mobile Ups Stakes in the Telco Industry
- Tech21 Unveils New Phone Protection for Apple iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Huawei Y5 (2017) Review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCWintel Engineer - BrisbaneVIC
- CCMobile DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Infrastructure EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Security ConsultantNSW
- FTTechnical Digital Producer | 6 Month ContractOther
- TPMessaging EngineerQLD
- FTOffice 365 SMEOther
- FTDigital Program Manager - Web & eCommerceOther
- CCIteration Lead - Telco - Melbourne CBDVIC
- FTSenior Organisational Change ManagerOther
- FTJunior .NET DeveloperOther
- FTIT Security SpecialistACT
- FTSenior Software Developer - Java/J2EE/Micro services URGENTOther
- FTSenior Project ManagerOther
- FTJunior-Mid level .Net/Front-End DeveloperQLD
- CCHogan Technical Consultant - BrisbaneQLD
- FTSenior Asset Information OfficerOther
- FTSenior Analyst ProgrammerOther
- CCSAP Techno Function ConsultantNSW
- TPInfrastructure ArchitectNSW
- FTScrum Master / Senior Business AnalystOther
- CCTransformation/ Organisational Change ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystACT
- CCWindows 10 Deployment TechnicianWA