Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P100
- Features applied in real time as you select them, slide show option, AF illuminator, battery countdown timer
- Poor macro function, high price
A very complete camera in a small package.
Price$ 749.00 (AUD)
The 5.1 megapixel Sony Cyber-shot DSCP100 is a very compact and portable camera. It's fitted with a 3X optical Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar lens and also features 2X digital zoom.
For a small camera it has many neat features. As you navigate through the ISO settings (which range from Auto, 100, 200 and 400), the image on the LCD changes according to the ISO setting. For example, if you are indoors and move up from 100 speed film to 400 speed film, the image gets brighter as the CCD sensitivity increases. This is quite helpful in gauging, by eye, what is the best speed to use.
Similar changes are instantly represented on the 1.8" TFT LCD screen when selecting a picture effect. If you are in standard mode and choose either B&W or sepia, the screen changes accordingly. The same applies when selecting white balance or the exposure level.
Although exposure can be set to automatic, manual adjustment is also possible. The compensation can be set in 1/3EV steps and range from +2EV to -2EV. When scaling down from +2EV to -2EV, the image on the LCD screen goes from very bright to very dark, providing a real-life representation of how the image will look when captured. Although this is only applicable in Scene, Program and Movie modes, it is a useful tool.
The P100 allows aperture and shutter speeds to be set in manual mode. The aperture ranges from f2.8 to f10, while the shutter speed ranges from 30 seconds to 1/1000 of a second. The preset scenes include: twilight, twilight portrait, landscape, soft snap (skin colours), snow, beach, fireworks, candle and high-speed shutter mode. The latter mode is used for action shots in bright places. And brightness is essential here. Moving targets in low-lit areas came out far too dark to be of any practical use. Even shots taken in the ideal bright setting still appeared out of focus.
Once the image is taken, images can be rotated on screen. Images can be played back as a slide show that ranges from intervals of 3, 5, 10, 30 seconds right up to one minute. This is very handy for playing it back on the TV set via the camera's AV-out socket.
Although it's great for distant shots and portraits, the camera does not do so well with macro shots. Ideally you need to be about 30cm from an image to get the best definition. Too close and you lose focus.
Movies are saved as MPEG. When using Memory Stick PRO, the camera saves MPEG movies in Fine mode with 640 x 480 at 30fps. When using standard Memory Stick, it saves only in Standard mode at 640 x 480 and at 16.6fps. There is also the Video Mail option--160 x 112 at 8.3fps--which is adequate for its intended purpose of email but the video is too jumpy and low in quality to use for anything else.
Sony has employed a high-end feature on many of its models--an AF illuminator. In the P100, the AF illuminator is a red fill-light that shines on subjects when light levels are low, typically indoors or at night. This allows the camera to see subjects better, and ensure that shots taken are in focus. The illuminator shines for only a few seconds and automatically switches off when focus is locked-in. The only downside is that people, especially young kids, might find that a red light in the face is a little distracting. The illuminator can be switched off, but this increases the chance of taking out-of-focus shots unless the focus distance is preset in the menu setup.
Getting caught out with a dead battery is near impossible as the camera has a battery timer that counts down from 200 minutes. This means you can see how long is left on the lithium battery before recharging.
Deleting images could be speedier. Only one shot at a time can be deleted unless the card is reformatted via the Set Up function. The camera is PictBridge compatible, enabling direct printing from the camera to a PictBridge-compatible printer.
Sony's Cyber-shot DSCP100 packs a lot for a small camera. It has a sleek look and features aplenty to keep any camera buyer satisfied.
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
cloudandco Smart Cane
Apple iPhone X
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Toys for Boys
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Bose SoundLink Micro
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Xbox One X
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Google Home Mini review: a welcome addition to the smart speaker family.
- 4 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 5 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
Latest News Articles
- Panasonic Announces Compact, Lightweight ultra-telephoto LEICA Lens
- Panasonic announce still-shooter flagship G9
- Sony Announces Development of New G Master Super-Telephoto Full-Frame E-Mount Lens
- Sony Expands Full-frame E-mount lens lineup
- Sony’s New Full-Frame α7R III Interchangeable Lens Camera promises to delivers both resolution and speed
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- Xbox One X review: Brave new world
- Western Digital My Cloud Home review: Take back the cloud
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTCUSTOMER SUPPORT OPERATOR - NOC ENVIRONMENTSA
- FTPayroll officer | 3 mthOther
- TPTechnical Lead (Office 365)QLD
- CCSenior Data Centre Capacity / Facilities Engineer - Large Telco - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTCyber Security- ManagerSA
- FTSenior Wintel Infrastructure ConsultantACT
- CCM204 Developers - Federal GovernmentACT
- FTScrum Master | Immediate StartOther
- FTSenior Sales Executive ? Technology ConsultingQLD
- FTData Migration & SQL AdministratorVIC
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperOther
- FTBroker Support/ Applications SupportOther
- FTICT Systems Support OfficerQLD
- CCProblem manager - OSS, Service Assurance appsVIC
- FTFrontEnd Angular DeveloperOther
- FTClinical Support Specialist - PermanentQLD
- FTiOS DeveloperWA
- CCLead Change ManagerNSW
- TPSenior Project AnalystVIC
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)Other
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Analyst ProgrammerVIC
- TPOffice 365 Technical LeadQLD
- TPSenior Business Analyst - HealthQLD
- FTPreSales / Offerings Solution Architect - BPS or BPONSW