Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W5
- Very little image lag, looks great, full set of functions, large LCD
- Image quality is a little lacking on default settings, camera could be a smaller
This is a great 5 megapixel camera, highly recommended unless you want a lighter model that sits comfortably in your pocket. Its image quality problems can be overcome with a little tweaking.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
The Sony Cyber-shot DSCW5 is both physically and functionally impressive. Weighing nearly 200g, it is one of the larger 5 megapixel models we've seen, but it's not as large as some of the 10X zoom models. It is housed in a black or silver aluminium chassis, and looks very suave, if a little big to lug around in your pocket.
It also sports a wonderful 115,000 pixel 2.5" LCD. The more time we spend with digital cameras, the more we are convinced that a large screen really improves the picture-taking experience. To see your subject lit up on a large, high-quality LCD is infinitely better than squinting at a blurry rendering on a 1.8" screen.
The number of manual features is equally impressive. You can control focus, shutter speed and aperture manually, as well as white balance, sharpness, saturation, brightness and ISO levels. The feature set is truly impressive for a 5 megapixel model.
It comes with 32MB of onboard memory and supports Memory Stick and Memory Stick PRO flash memory cards for expansion.
The camera is equipped with Sony's Real Image Processor, which reduces the lag between shots. This makes a noticeable difference: the camera took only one or two seconds to recover between shots.
We found the camera's image quality lacking during our tests. While it produced some reasonable indoor shots, outdoor images came up a little pale. With a little tweaking of the camera's impressive settings, however, this could be easily rectified.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Huawei Y5 (2017): Full, in depth review
- 3 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 4 First Look: Nikon D850
- 5 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Dyno Introduces Modular, Motorized Camera Slider System for GoPros, Small Cameras and Smartphones
- Google Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixelbook, Google Home Mini & Max: Everything Announced At Today’s Google Event
- Google Certifies Insta360 Pro as First ‘Street View Auto Ready’ Camera
- Noir Matter Introduces waterproof stabiliser for GoPro & other action cameras
- Sony’s New RX10 IV combines Fast AF and 24 FPS continuous shooting with 24-600mm F2.4-F4 Zoom Lens
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTPortfolio Performance LeadOther
- FTProject Manager - PLMOther
- TPNetwork EngineerQLD
- FTSAP Lead Solution ArchitectOther
- CCJunior / Mid level Hogan Technical Consultant - BrisbaneWA
- TPSenior Security Consultant - WirelessNSW
- CCIT Project CoordinatorVIC
- FTLead Solution ArchitectSA
- FTSoftware Developer - Delphi, VMS, FortranOther
- CCSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- FTDevOps Engineer/ LeadOther
- FTPerformance Tester - Load RunnerACT
- FTNetwork AdministratorOther
- FTClass Super - Application Support Analyst - SMSF solutionsOther
- CCSet-Top Box InstallerQLD
- CCIT Portfolio Management AnalystWA
- CCMobile Applications Developer (Brisbane)ACT
- FTPractice Manager - SecurityVIC
- FTSystem EngineerOther
- CCBusiness Analyst - SharepointVIC
- CCWindows 10 Deployment TechnicianWA
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist - Senior roleOther
- TPSenior Business Analyst - Vehicle Fleet ManagementQLD
- FT.Net/Front-End DeveloperQLD
- CCIdentity & Access Management AnalystVIC