Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W5
- Very little image lag, looks great, full set of functions, large LCD
- Image quality is a little lacking on default settings, camera could be a smaller
This is a great 5 megapixel camera, highly recommended unless you want a lighter model that sits comfortably in your pocket. Its image quality problems can be overcome with a little tweaking.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
The Sony Cyber-shot DSCW5 is both physically and functionally impressive. Weighing nearly 200g, it is one of the larger 5 megapixel models we've seen, but it's not as large as some of the 10X zoom models. It is housed in a black or silver aluminium chassis, and looks very suave, if a little big to lug around in your pocket.
It also sports a wonderful 115,000 pixel 2.5" LCD. The more time we spend with digital cameras, the more we are convinced that a large screen really improves the picture-taking experience. To see your subject lit up on a large, high-quality LCD is infinitely better than squinting at a blurry rendering on a 1.8" screen.
The number of manual features is equally impressive. You can control focus, shutter speed and aperture manually, as well as white balance, sharpness, saturation, brightness and ISO levels. The feature set is truly impressive for a 5 megapixel model.
It comes with 32MB of onboard memory and supports Memory Stick and Memory Stick PRO flash memory cards for expansion.
The camera is equipped with Sony's Real Image Processor, which reduces the lag between shots. This makes a noticeable difference: the camera took only one or two seconds to recover between shots.
We found the camera's image quality lacking during our tests. While it produced some reasonable indoor shots, outdoor images came up a little pale. With a little tweaking of the camera's impressive settings, however, this could be easily rectified.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
Latest News Articles
- Sony’s New RX10 IV combines Fast AF and 24 FPS continuous shooting with 24-600mm F2.4-F4 Zoom Lens
- Sony make shooting in HDR easy with new 4K camcorders
- Sony announces Australian availability for new waterproof RX0 action-camera
- Panasonic Announces LUMIX DC-GH5 Firmware Update Service
- Boom: SanDisk just dropped the world's largest SD card
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Huawei Y5 (2017) Review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTService Desk AnalystVIC
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics CRM DeveloperOther
- FTProgram ManagerOther
- FTMid Level .NET Developer (Full Stack, Back End focus) - C#Other
- FTService Desk Consultant - Must have baseline or NV1 clearanceOther
- CCTRIM Support OfficerNSW
- FTIT Governance Manager- North of NSW - ArmidaleOther
- FTCommunication SpecialistOther
- TPDigital Project Manager | Website ReplatformingQLD
- CCAppian DeveloperVIC
- FTInfrastructure Project ManagerOther
- FTSignalling EngineerOther
- CCSenior Development DBA - OracleNSW
- CCTechnologyOne Systems AdministratorQLD
- FTCRM Business Analysis Senior ConsultantOther
- CCPSRM Java DeveloperNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTETL & SQL Data AnalystOther
- CCWindows 10 Deployment Team LeadVIC
- CCIT Service Desk AnalystACT
- FTScrum MasterOther
- FTSolution DesignerOther
- CCPeopleSoft Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCSenior Project OfficerNSW