- Compact design, 5.1 Dolby surround sound, very good battery life, separate zoom and record button on side of LCD panel great for stable shooting
- Disappointing still quality, clunky design
The DCR-DVD653E is a high-quality, well-designed DVD camcorder, with very good audio features and a 20X optical zoom.
Price$ 1,399.00 (AUD)
When you pick up the diminutive DCRDVD653E, you realise that the disc itself is the main hindrance to the design. While most of the body is around 7.5cm high, the casing on the right-hand side of the body protrudes past the rest of the casing, due to the need to accommodate the 8cm disc. MiniDV tape and removable flash memory does not present this dilemma to designers. The Sony supports 8cm DVD-R/RW and +RW media.
The DCRDVD653E's ergonomics are very good, with the relevant zoom, record and shutter release buttons comfortably placed for instant, one-handed access while shooting.
Controls can also be accessed using an excellent 2.5" touch panel screen on the back portion of the camcorder. On the left-hand side of the LCD is an additional zoom and record button that you will find yourself using constantly, as it allows a much more stable shooting environment when using the screen to compose your scene. If you feel that the ambient light is too bright to use the LCD, you can always switch to the optical viewfinder, with dioptric adjustment for wearers of glasses.
The DCRDVD653E uses a quality Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar lens, with an impressive 20X optical zoom. The alleged 800X total zoom figure (optical + digital) plastered on the casing should not be attempted, unless you want a pixilated special effect for your movie.
The camera can take stills, but it would be just as good to capture a screen directly from video footage, since the CCD only supports 640 x 480 stills. The DCRDVD653E excels in sound recording, however, being one of the few consumer video cameras to offer Dolby 5.1 surround sound.
A hot shoe on the DCRDVD653E allows you to add accessories such as an external microphone, flash or light.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
Latest News Articles
- Sony make shooting in HDR easy with new 4K camcorders
- Sony announces Australian availability for new waterproof RX0 action-camera
- Microsoft's Beam becomes Mixer, adds four person split-screen streaming to battle Twitch
- Microsoft's Story Remix uses machine learning and mixed reality to make your movies awesome
- New IoT malware targets 100,000 IP cameras via known flaw
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Huawei Y5 (2017) Review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- TPProject Manager - Network, Security and Wi-FiQLD
- CCLevel 2-3 Desktop SupportWA
- FTUX Designer | 9mth ContractOther
- FTOperational Systems Support SpecialistOther
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- CCTest Specialist - eCommerceVIC
- TPBusiness Program Manager - DigitalNSW
- CCTechnologyOne Systems AdministratorSA
- FTCommunication SpecialistOther
- FTBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTProgram ManagerOther
- CCSupport Engineer - Linux, AIX & SolarisNSW
- FTProject Support Officer/ Project Coordinator - GovernmentOther
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperQLD
- CCXamarin Mobile Developer - East MelbourneNSW
- FTBusiness Transformation LeadOther
- FTSenior Project Manager - Dynamics CRMOther
- CCWintel EngineerQLD
- FTProcess Specialist (Continuous Improvement)Other
- CCSenior DevOps EngineerVIC
- FTSenior Business Analyst – Office 365 ProjectOther
- FTTechnical Support - Level 1 - Sydney WestOther
- TPChange ManagerVIC
- CCData Scientist - Telecom IndustryVIC