- Small, easy to use, good automatic performance
- High levels of image noise in badly lit areas, weak internal microphone
Ideal for wealthy consumers who favour simple operation and high-quality automatic performance.
Price$ 3,299.00 (AUD)
The new DCR-HC1000E camcorder replaced Sony's previous mid-range MiniDV model, the DCRTRV950E. It has the majority of its predecessor's features, but Sony has made several operational and design decisions that may not appeal to everyone.
The DCR-HC1000E is extremely compact for a three-chip camera, with a top-loading tape compartment and a new 90-degree twisting grip. A slider has replaced the previous model's zoom rocker, but the camera offers a lens ring that can be used for both zoom and focus. It also uses the touch screen LCD that's standard on Sony camcorders, which cuts down on button clutter and can be used in daylight. It's not popular with everyone, and is an inch smaller than the DCR-TRV950E's viewfinder, but does allow for features like spot focus and exposure (which can be set by simply touching the area on the LCD).
The image sensor behind the Carl Zeiss 12X optical zoom is a three-chip unit that provides a high level of light and colour sensitivity. Our test footage was extremely clear and well balanced at the camera's default settings, but image noise started to creep into the pictures during badly-lit indoor shooting. Audio from the poorly positioned internal microphone was a little dull, but this camera features dual inputs and a smart accessory shoe for adding external pickups.
We were disappointed with the internal battery compartment as it limits you to the supplied two-hour battery, and would like to have seen a tilting internal viewfinder. The new graphical menu system also makes camera setup slower, but has more consumer appeal, which is obviously the market that Sony is aiming for with this product.
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Apple iPhone X
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Toys for Boys
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Lego Mindstorms EV3
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Xbox One X
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 TCL X2 review: QLED escapes the premium market
- 2 Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- 3 Acer Spin 5 review: Value for money but conditions apply
- 4 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 5 Sony LF-S50G review: Google Assistant and then some
Latest News Articles
- CES 2018: Ring Bolster Security Offering With Cameras, Lights, Alarms and Subscription Service
- Keep Watch Day and Night with Uniden’s Two-In-One Camera and Spotlight
- Sony make shooting in HDR easy with new 4K camcorders
- Sony announces Australian availability for new waterproof RX0 action-camera
- Microsoft's Beam becomes Mixer, adds four person split-screen streaming to battle Twitch
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTSystems Engineer - BI Apps TeamOther
- TPICT Service Assurance Manager - ServiceNowQLD
- FTNetwork Engineering Team Lead/Network ManagerQLD
- FTUX Design Manager (Urgent!!)Other
- FTTechnical Business AnalystVIC
- CCFront-End DeveloperNSW
- FTDevOps Developer- ElasticSearch, BitbucketOther
- FTInformation ArchitectOther
- FTEL1 ICT Team LeadACT
- FTSales/Account Manager - Government SectorNSW
- CCWeb DeveloperNSW
- CCSecurity SpecialistQLD
- CCProject ManagerACT
- CCUX Designer - Full StackNSW
- CCSystems Administrator - not for profit organisationQLD
- CCTechnical Business AnalystVIC
- CCTechnical ArchitectVIC
- FTIT Service Desk AnalystOther
- FTSenior Network Engineer - Client TechnologiesOther
- FTNetwork Security EngineerOther
- CCSenior IT Business AnalystVIC
- FTLead Business AnalystOther
- TPTechnical Project OfficerQLD
- FTFront End DeveloperVIC
- FTTest Analyst - SAP ERPOther