- Good connectivity, aesthetically pleasing, fast printing, excellent image quality
- High print costs
The Sony's design, features and quality prints make it a fine choice. If Sony could get the cost per print down, it would be a must-have product.
Price$ 300.00 (AUD)
A member of Sony's line of dye-sublimation photo printers, the DPP-FP50 is a sleek little unit designed to look stylish yet unobtrusive in your living room. And why would you want it in your lounge? Because it features an AV port and a remote control, which let you hook it up to your TV to turn it into your own photo lab. With built-in software you can do basic editing and enhancements, such as red-eye reduction, cropping, rotating and adjusting brightness and sharpness, on the TV screen. You can also add text and fancy borders, if you wish, and run slide shows and then print any photo in the slide show with the remote.
The Sony has some of the best connectivity options on offer. There are built-in card readers for Memory Stick, CompactFlash and SD cards; a PictBridge port to connect a camera; the TV-out option; and a USB port to connect the printer to a PC (Sony's PictureGear software is supplied). For standalone printing, a control panel with buttons and monochrome LCD lets you navigate options.
All of this makes the DPP-FP50 a better option for owners of non-Kodak (or other ImageLink-compatible) cameras who want the excellent image quality of a dye sublimation printer. In our testing, the Sony printed superb quality photos at a very high speed. On average speed, it took 1 minute 13 seconds to produce a 4" x 6" print.
The Sony's has high print costs: at the time of writing, a 40-sheet paper/cartridge kit cost $44.95, for an average print cost of $1.12. If you buy the 80-sheet pack for $79 the cost drops slightly to 99 cents per print.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- HP shutting down default FTP, Telnet access to network printers
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Moto E4: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- TPMessaging EngineerQLD
- FTDevelopers (VB.Net/C#.Net)SA
- FTSolutions ArchitectsOther
- FTEmail Campaign Production SpecialistOther
- CCHogan Technical Consultant - BrisbaneOther
- FTAgile Business Analyst, MarketingOther
- FTBig Data EngineerVIC
- FTSystem EngineerOther
- CCICT Lead / Senior Java DeveloperVIC
- CCTransformation/ Organisational Change ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence DeveloperSA
- CCMultiple Hadoop Developers Canberra, Brisbane, Melbourne or AdelaideVIC
- FTData Center EngineerOther
- FTTechnical WriterACT
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperQLD
- FTFinancial AnalystOther
- CCLinux & Windows Systems Engineer - BrisbaneQLD
- CCSenior Systems EngineerVIC
- CCUX Developer / DesignerQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst – Office 365 ProjectOther
- FTTest Engineer - Telecom domainVIC
- FTClient Delivery DirectorACT
- FT3rd Line IT EngineerOther
- FTBusiness analyst - Insurance BackgroundQLD