- Good connectivity, aesthetically pleasing, fast printing, excellent image quality
- High print costs
The Sony's design, features and quality prints make it a fine choice. If Sony could get the cost per print down, it would be a must-have product.
Price$ 300.00 (AUD)
A member of Sony's line of dye-sublimation photo printers, the DPP-FP50 is a sleek little unit designed to look stylish yet unobtrusive in your living room. And why would you want it in your lounge? Because it features an AV port and a remote control, which let you hook it up to your TV to turn it into your own photo lab. With built-in software you can do basic editing and enhancements, such as red-eye reduction, cropping, rotating and adjusting brightness and sharpness, on the TV screen. You can also add text and fancy borders, if you wish, and run slide shows and then print any photo in the slide show with the remote.
The Sony has some of the best connectivity options on offer. There are built-in card readers for Memory Stick, CompactFlash and SD cards; a PictBridge port to connect a camera; the TV-out option; and a USB port to connect the printer to a PC (Sony's PictureGear software is supplied). For standalone printing, a control panel with buttons and monochrome LCD lets you navigate options.
All of this makes the DPP-FP50 a better option for owners of non-Kodak (or other ImageLink-compatible) cameras who want the excellent image quality of a dye sublimation printer. In our testing, the Sony printed superb quality photos at a very high speed. On average speed, it took 1 minute 13 seconds to produce a 4" x 6" print.
The Sony's has high print costs: at the time of writing, a 40-sheet paper/cartridge kit cost $44.95, for an average print cost of $1.12. If you buy the 80-sheet pack for $79 the cost drops slightly to 99 cents per print.
Join the newsletter!
We have 4 to give away so jump in!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
- 5 LG V30+ Review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new Expression Premium Photo Range
- Epson Australia Unveils New Expression Home Range of Printers
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Sony a7R Mk III review: The strongest case yet for ditching your DSLR
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Oppo R11s: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTGreenfield Implementation SAP IS-U DM | SAP IS-U DM | SAP ECOther
- FTSAP Test AnalystsOther
- CCJava DeveloperWA
- TPJava DeveloperACT
- CCBusiness Strategy Analyst - Financial Services - Based in BrisbaneVIC
- FTSystem and Software TestersACT
- FTAD LeadOther
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)ACT
- FTBI Solution DesignerNSW
- TPBusiness Intelligence Application Developer/ReporterQLD
- FTDevOps & IT Operations | Trading & Finance | LinuxOther
- FTCCNA Network EngineerOther
- CCSenior Drupal DeveloperNSW
- TP.NET DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior Network EngineerWA
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperACT
- CCSenior Splunk DeveoperVIC
- FTTechnical Quality LeadVIC
- FTPMO ManagerNSW
- FTJunior Product/Project Manager - North QueenslandQLD
- FTIncident ManagerOther
- FTAgile CoachOther
- FTScrum MasterNSW
- TPImplementation ManagerVIC