- Writes to most formats, interchangeable front bezel, reliable read and write performance
- Not as quick as some other units on the market, especially when reading back burnt DVDs; pricey
The DRU-830A is a solid DVD burner but has a slightly higher price than some speedier alternatives.
Price$ 120.00 (AUD)
The Sony DRU-830A is an internal DVD burner that supports most media available on the market, including DVD-RAM. The DRU-830A also offers interchangeable front bezels, with both a white and black bezel included in the sales package, and is supplied with the popular Nero 7 software suite.
The key specifications of the DRU-830A are the same as most DVD burners currently available, with an ATAPI/EIDE interface and a buffer size of 2MB. For testing consistency, the DRU-830A was installed in a Thermaltake Shark case which has drive rails that hold the drive securely in place. We did note that this was a whisper quiet burner, with no signs of vibration when the drive was spinning. Note that it doesn't burn as fast as some of the other drives we have seen when burning CDs. It burns CDs at rate of 40x by default, instead of 48x. The faster speed can be invoked by holding down the eject button for a few seconds. The difference between the two speeds is negligible, however. At 40x, our CD-R was burnt in 3min 8secs, while at 48x it was burnt at 3min 01sec.
The DRU-830A can burn and read most of the standard DVD and CD formats on the market and although it proved to be a solid and reliable performer in all our tests, it isn't as quick as some other drives we've reviewed recently. For single-layer DVD-R and DVD+R discs, we once again used 4GB worth of video and music files, with just a three second difference in write times at 16x (5mins 53sec and 5min 50sec respectively). Read times were exactly the same at 6min 16seconds, which is much less favourable when compared to the speedy DSW1812P.
The DRU-830A also performed without any problems writing to DL (dual layer) media. The drive is capable of writing to DVD+R DL media at a rate of 8x and to DVD-R DL at a rate of 4x. Our Verbatim discs were detected and written to at these speeds. The difference in burn time between the two double layer formats was almost eight minutes, but both types of media were read back by the drive in almost the same time (18min 4sec and 18min 12sec respectively). Importantly, playing back all burnt data in Nero's CD-DVD speed showed a smooth read curve, and discs were read back on other PCs without any issues.
Overall, the DRU-830A performed well with solid write and read times for all discs and was whisper quiet. However, before deciding take into account that it's not as quick as some other units on the market and has a slightly higher recommended retail price.
Join the newsletter!
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
cloudandco Smart Cane
Toys for Boys
Bose SoundLink Micro
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Xbox One X
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- QNAP Releases QTS 4.3.4. Beta for x86-Based NAS
- QNAP ships world’s first Ryzen NAS, promising boosted Virtual Machine performance
- QNAP Rolls out Quad-core 4-bay TS-453BT3 Thunderbolt 3 NAS Tailored for Creative Professionals
- Synology Introduces New Data Storage Solutions for Home and Small Offices
- Western Digital moves on Oz consumers with new storage offering
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTCyber Security ArchitectOther
- CCIntegration AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Procurement Manager- Government BackgroundOther
- TPPMO LeadVIC
- FTSenior iOS DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTSoftware EngineerSA
- FTAccount Management/Customer Service - MULTIPLE ROLESSA
- FTTeam and Project Administrator - SalesforceQLD
- FTRecords AnalystOther
- FTClient Delivery DirectorACT
- FTProgress 8.3 DeveloperOther
- FTBusiness Intelligence Analyst (Report Analyst)Other
- FTSystems/Business AnalystACT
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java/ J2EE DeveloperACT
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- FTSnr Information Security Consultant - IT Services - North Ryde areaNSW
- TPSenior Business Analyst - HealthQLD
- FTSAP Payroll SpecialistOther
- CCSenior Siebel DeveloperACT
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java/ J2EE DeveloperVIC
- TPContracting Specialist - Procurement AssociateNSW
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java/ J2EE Developer (Brisbane)Other
- FTPortfolio Lead. PMONSW