- Fast burning
- May be somewhat unstable at higher speeds
This drive was solid in all of our tests, and is definitely worth considering.
Price$ 179.00 (AUD)
Even though this drive technically supports 48X CD burning, Sony throttles it to 40X straight out of the box, citing reliability and safety concerns when the disc spins at very high speeds. Having experienced high-speed disc-shattering firsthand in the past using a burner from a competing brand, this throttling is fine by me.
In fact, at 40X, a CD will only take a few seconds more to burn than at 48X, so there is really no substantial gain when burning at the higher speed. If you do want to burn (and read) at the highest speed, then you will need to keep your finger on the eject button for 5 seconds until the green light flashes. In any case, when we did this, the maximum speed we could use with our 52X rated CD-Rs was 40X.
Moving on to its DVD performance, the Sony performed quite well when burning DVD+R and DVD+R DL media. Writing at 16X, our test DVD+R disc completed its burn in only 5 minutes and 46 seconds, while a double layer disc took only 26 minutes and 46 seconds. Its DVD-R write and read performance was slow, however.
At its highest burn rate, this drive uses the CAV method to burn DVDs, while PCAV is used on slightly slower speeds and CLV on discs that cannot be burnt higher than 6X. CLV is also used to burn double layer discs.
The Sony has a fairly stylish front bezel and does not make too much noise when in full flight. Its short depth also makes it a very good choice for a small form-factor PC.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Zolo Liberty+ review: The true wireless earbuds you've been waiting for
- 5 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
Latest News Articles
- Intel launches 800P Optane SSD
- Samsung Advances SATA Line-up with 860 PRO and 860 EVO Solid State Drives
- Synology Introduces FlashStation FS1018 and DiskStation DS218
- CES 2018: Crucial launches next generation MX500 SSD
- QNAP Releases QTS 4.3.4. Beta for x86-Based NAS
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTProject Coordinator l PMONSW
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- FTTechnical Lead UnixOther
- FTHFC EngineerOther
- TPTest AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst (Junior - Mid Level)NSW
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTInformation Management OfficerVIC
- TPDigital Business Analyst (Senior)WA
- CCPrincipal Project Manager - ieMR ImplementationVIC
- CCData Analyst =QLD
- FTData Centre Support Engineers (VMWare/ Windows Server)Other
- FTC++/Python DeveloperVIC
- CCField Services TechnicianWA
- FTCRM TrainerOther
- FTPrincipal Consultant - Digital And TransformationOther
- CCPega DeveloperVIC
- TPSenior Solution ArchitectACT
- FTEntry Level IT help deskOther
- FTSenior Software EngineerOther
- CCIntegration Developer - Port MacquarieQLD
- CCDeveloper - DeliveryNSW
- FTSenior Security SpecialistOther
- CCProject ManagerWA