- Fantastic sound quality
- Large and bulky kit
If you're after fantastic audio quality at a reasonable price, Sony's HTDDW1000 is a great solution. The price for punchy bass and a wide range of connectors is some heavy boxes, but it's an easy trade-off.
Price$ 1,199.00 (AUD)
Sony's impressive WEGA Home Theatre in a Box HTDDW1000 bundle is designed to connect to a DVD player and screen to create an elegant home theatre solution.
This 6.2 channel Home Theatre in a Box weighs in at close to 80kg in total, which makes it some effort to set up. At least the kit ships with all you need to get up and running--including cables, manuals, and radio antenna--and the system sounds fantastic when you're done. The striking silver and black speaker bins would look at home in just about any modern lounge room, and the bulky, 8kg receiver unit sports a stylish silver front panel.
The receiver features two component-in connectors along with one component out, two digital optical inputs and a digital coaxial connection. This is complemented by composite video out, four composite AV inputs, two RCA audio-in and an RCA audio-out connector, along with multi-channel RCA input, speaker and subwoofer outputs. AM and FM antenna connectors are also provided. There is no S-Video connector, but you could always get an adapter if you really needed this option.
The HTDDW1000 kit includes two floor-standing speakers plus six satellite speakers and has two subwoofers to provide a wide expansive sound. The system provides a total of 1000W RMS, which is plenty of punch for listening to music or watching movies. Standard formats including Dolby Pro Logic II and IIx, Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Surround EX, and DTS are all fully supported.
The 43 x 16 x 31cm silver receiver unit features a wide array of buttons on the front face along with a screen, but it doesn't feel cluttered. Front-mounted composite AV and headphone connectors are handy for ad-hoc connections, as they save you from messing around behind the unit. In fact, the system is pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it. The two-tone remote control includes a joystick-style controller that's also straightforward to navigate.
All up, Sony's HTDDW1000 is an excellent mid-range home theatre kit, which offers clear sound, a decent range of connections and a practical interface, all backed up by a three-year warranty.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Huawei Y5 (2017): Full, in depth review
- 3 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 4 First Look: Nikon D850
- 5 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Sonos reveals Sonos One, an Alexa-enabled speaker that will support AirPlay 2 and Google Assistant
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
- iPhone X, Apple Watch Series 3 and Apple TV 4K: Everything Announced At Today’s Apple Keynote
- Sony launches MUTEKI V90DW High Power Audio System
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTService Desk ConsultantOther
- FTDevOps Engineer/ LeadOther
- TPTechnical Business AnalystQLD
- FTURGENT - Contract opportunity Business Analyst - Finance - Immediate startVIC
- FTTest Lead - Automation (energy and metering sector)Other
- FTSystems Engineer - Infrastructure/Security ProjectsNSW
- FTIT Desktop ManagerOther
- CCIdentity & Access Management ArchitectVIC
- CCSAP FICO ConsultantWA
- FTRuby on Rails DeveloperOther
- FTService Desk Level 2 Support ConsultantOther
- CCDevOps EngineerVIC
- FTPrincipal Architect/ConsultantOther
- CCJunior Test AnalystACT
- CCIdentity & Access Management AnalystVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPData AnalystVIC
- FT.Net DeveloperACT
- TPProject Manager - Data Feed ReplacementVIC
- FTSenior Business Analyst - AMLOther
- TPProject Manager - 3 days per weekQLD
- FTOracle WebLogic Administrator- Banking backgroundOther
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior IT Project Manager - Logistics/TransportOther
- CCTechnical Lead - Infrastructure SMENSW