- Everything else
Shiny new client lacking in everything
Sony IVE (Instant Video Everywhere) is a new entrant to the VoIP marketplace and is a collaboration between Sony and Glowpoint. As the name implies, Sony IVE is a combination video and VoIP client that allows full video call functionality to other Sony IVE users. With a fee paying account it provides connectivity to traditonal ISDN video-conferencing systems or Plain Old Telephone Systems (POTS), but only in the US or Canada.
The Sony IVE client interface is sleek but disappointing. It consists of up to four windows locked together in position - one showing the remote video, one showing local video, another displaying a dial pad and a small window at the bottom which either displays contacts, call history or the list of recorded calls. It is frustrating not to be able to either alter the position of these windows relative to each other or to hide any that aren't in use. This is especially annoying if you only want to use the VoIP capabilities and don't have a webcam hooked up - one window permanently displays "No webcam detected". There are very few settings - just a tab to control audio levels, one to set startup options and one to adjust video. The contacts interface is a very basic form and unlike most other clients has no ability to pull contacts from any email clients to save work on typing them in.
Sony IVE includes no online help of any kind, and the support page on their website just links to a single PDF document which doesn't explain everything. Based on trial and error I was able to determine that despite advertising the use of SIP and H.323 in the client it is incapable of connecting directly to any SIP or H.323 clients - calls can only be made to other Sony IVE users or to their fee-paying services. And to make it more annoying, when you dial a wrong number (like a SIP address) a video mode starts with an American-accented woman telling you you've dialed a wrong number. If you press 1 during this video call a menu appears allowing access to a help video and options to connect to the operator, as long as you have a paid account. Of course, this feature isn't documented anywhere. Neither is pressing ESC to go to full-screen mode. In an extension of their unintuitive interface, right-clicking on the dial button before placing a call allows setting the call bandwidth, but using your contacts requires double-clicking the name which starts a call without being able to control the bandwidth. Right-clicking anything else at any time seems to do nothing. Frustrating isn't strong enough language to explain using this client.
One good feature is the AEC button on the dial-pad. This is acoustic echo cancellation - which means speakers can be used with the microphone without any feedback affecting the call quality, but of course most other clients can do this automatically. Sony IVE in this incarnation will only of use to people wanting to interact with ISDN conferencing systems in North America. Anyone wanting voice or video calls can use pretty much any other client and have a better experience.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 HTC U11 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Gigabyte Aero 15 corporate gaming laptop review
- 3 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 4 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft apologizes after a rogue Windows 10 preview build causes chaos
- Skype's major redesign prioritizes helpful bots and a smart camera over traditional video chats
- All-electric satellites are ushering in zippier in-flight internet access
- Why Microsoft's ARM-based Windows 10 laptops still have a lot to prove
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- MSI GL62M 7RDX gaming laptop review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSenior Project Manager- Cloud- AWS, Office 365- PRINCE2Other
- FTSAP CRM Functional ConsultantsACT
- FTSenior .Net Full Stack DeveloperOther
- CCSenior Microsoft SQL DesignerNSW
- FTMid-Sr level Product Manager / Project managerOther
- FTSenior Contracts Administrator- Construction BackgroundOther
- FTSystems Engineer - SCCMACT
- TPAnalyst Program SupportVIC
- FTDigital Records ManagerACT
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTService Delivery Manager - Telecommunications InfrastructureOther
- FTSales Client Services Manager (Mid-market)QLD
- FTSecurity Service Desk Operative - TelecommunicationsOther
- FTAssurance specialist(Quality Assurance and Process Improvement)ACT
- FTSoftware EngineerOther
- FTLead API DeveloperNSW
- TPHelp desk AnalystsACT
- FTJunior DeveloperOther
- TPNetwork & System SpecialistNSW
- FTSAP HANA Data Modelling ConsultantsACT
- FTRadio Communication TechnicianOther
- FTSenior Mobile Developer - PermanentWA
- TPFull Stack PHP / Web DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Solution Designer, Investment PlatformNSW