Sony LF-S50G review: Google Assistant and then some
- IPX3 rating
- Slightly deeper sound
- Less compact form-factor
- Gesture controls often unreliable
If the built-in clock interface, the IPX3-rating and the gesture commands strike a chord, this might be a smart speaker worth a serious look. However, if you want the best possible sound for your smart speaker setup, it may well be worth waiting for better options.
Price$ 249.00 (AUD)
We’ve more-or-less made it through first stage of the smart speaker category: proving that products like Amazon Alexa and Google Home are worth your time, attention and money. Even if they’re not exactly necessary - these are still luxury consumer electronics products - the battle to demonstrate and communicate their usefulness has more-or-less been won.
Now, we’re up to the second stage: expansion and diversification. On paper, any company can try to build a better speaker than Google or Amazon whilst leveraging the same software. There are always going to be those who want to stay true to purest version of the Google Assistant experience. However, for everyone else, it’s important to have options.
Sony’s new LF-F50G promises to provide just that: an experience that’s exactly every bit as smart as Google’s own offering - but with a few added perks to justify the higher price-tag.
The Sony LF-S50G is a mono-aural smart speaker that produces 360-degree audio using two speaker units (a 48mm satellite and a 53mm subwoofer) bridged by a two-way diffuser. It’s IPX3-rated against splash damage and boasts Bluetooth, NFC and Wi-Fi connectivity.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Foxtel Now's new streaming device launched weeks after TelstraTV
- Logitech announce new MX Sound speakers
- Telstra looks to solve 'Entertainment Exasperation' with new 4K Telstra TV
- Sonos reveals Sonos One, an Alexa-enabled speaker that will support AirPlay 2 and Google Assistant
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCProgram ManagerNSW
- FTSalesforce DeveloperVIC
- FTSAP CRM/UI5/Online Systems AnalystOther
- CCProgram ManagerNSW
- FTService Desk CoordinatorVIC
- FTInformation Security ManagerVIC
- TPProject Manager - IT SecurityQLD
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperOther
- FTSystem AnalystQLD
- FTSplunk Engineer - starting next yearACT
- FTBusiness Analyst | Gold CoastQLD
- CCProperty Project Manager - Office ExpansionNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - TableauOther
- FTTableau DeveloperOther
- CCIntegration AnalystNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerACT
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Business ConsultantOther
- CCMobile Applications DevelopersACT
- CCWeb Applications Project ManagerVIC
- FTClass Super - Application Support Analyst - SMSF solutionsOther
- CCPHP DeveloperVIC
- FTLinux Systems EngineerOther
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperWA
- FTSenior Business Analyst - WealthOther