A turntable with a little extra.
- Easy to use, USB connection for easy transcoding to PC
- Poor build quality, difficult USB playback, very basic turntable abilities
As an enthusiast device, the PSLX300USB's advantages lie in its ability to digitally encode vinyl via computer. For connecting directly to a home audio setup, there are better options.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
Sony’s PSLX300USB is a turntable with a little added pizzazz in the form of USB connectivity. It isn’t as feature-laden or as well built as some other models we’ve come across, but as a device for copying your old, damaged vinyls to PC it’s a god-send.
Despite the ubiquity of CD, there are plenty of albums that have never made it to the realm of digital music. Of the vast number of albums produced in the 1960s alone, you’d be very lucky to find half easily available on CD. But you can still find many of them in record shops and second-hand stores in their original format — vinyl.
Plenty of new albums are released on vinyl as well. It’s enjoying a resurgence among professional disc jockeys and music lovers. With this in mind there’s plenty of reason to be considering a turntable — especially one with the added versatility of USB connectivity.
Sony includes a copy of Sound Forge Audio Studio LE (we've reviewed the older Sound Forge Audio Studio 9.0). It is meant to be used for copying vinyls to PC, but we found it to be quite limited and unfriendly. It only allows users to save files at a maximum of 192 kilobits per second in MP3 format.
We would have liked it to support FLAC encoding or at least 320Kbps MP3s. However, the audio cleaning filters work and can be used to remove vinyl’s characteristic clicks and pops.
The turntable uses a standard USB audio codec, however, so you’ll be able to use alternative software if you wish. But you will be unable to directly play records via your PC without a lot of fiddling, thanks to Windows’ habit of completely diverting sound to a connected USB audio device. If you have the smarts to set the turntable as an input and output via your normal audio system you’ll be successful, but it’s an arduous process.
If you’ve got no need to copy your vinyls to PC then this turntable loses some of its appeal. It does have a stereo RCA output for direct connection to an amplifier and sound system, but a dedicated turntable will probably have more functionality and better build quality and will most likely be cheaper.
It’s quite a simple unit, thankfully, so there’s not much that can go wrong with it. You have to stretch the rubber belt when setting it up, but apart from that it’s fire-and-forget. The build quality isn’t spectacular: the unit has a rather plastic, flimsy feel and the dust cover is thin and scratch-prone. It's fine at spinning records, though, with a switch for selecting either 33 or 45 RPM.
If you intend to use this turntable purely as an analog turntable connected to a hi-fi system there are better options out there. If you’re using it to bring your old record collection into the 21st century, it's a very capable and useful device.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Zolo Liberty+ review: The true wireless earbuds you've been waiting for
- 5 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
Latest News Articles
- Audible Now Available on Sonos
- Google announces new AFL and NRL integrations for Home and Assistant
- B&O Launches The Spring/Summer 2018 Collection
- Samsung Announces New 2018 Television Lineup
- Samsung’s Next TV is a Real Frame-Changer
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Interview - Netgear CEO Patrick Lo talks eSports, the NBN and why mesh is the smartphone of home Wi-Fi
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCSenior Internet Applications EngineerNSW
- FTDigital Product OwnerOther
- FTSenior Rail Project Manager, Fleet TransformationOther
- FTWireless Consulting EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - PERMANENT -Other
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Cisco Unified Communication Solution ArchitectQLD
- TPSQL SSAS BI DeveloperQLD
- FTDesktop Engineer (Windows 10)Other
- FTSenior Desktop Support AnalystOther
- FTSenior Full stack Developer (Java)ACT
- TPChange and Communication ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Cost Analyst - TelcoVIC
- FTITIL Problem Manager - Team LeadACT
- CCAutomation Test Engineer - BRISBANE BASEDNSW
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperQLD
- FTApplication Support Analyst - SydneyOther
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCAgile Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior SAP IS-Retail LeadOther
- FTPeoplesoft HCM Application DeveloperACT
- FTSecurity SpecialistOther
- FTSAP CRM ABAP-BRF+ DevelopersOther
- CCSAP DevelopersQLD
- TPService Now Developer/AdministratorQLD