- Bluetooth connectivity, Stylish design, Can run on either batteries or AC power
- Average sound quality, Expensive
The SRS-BTM30 produces average sound, but it's well-styled and offers the convenience of a wireless connection to an audio player.
Price$ 249.00 (AUD)
The Sony SRS-BTM30 is a portable, wireless speaker system that features Bluetooth connectivity, meaning it can pair with a compatible A2DP Bluetooth device and receive a stereo audio signal. It doubles as a regular speaker system thanks to a line-in jack, but the SRS-BTM30 ultimately places wireless convenience over sound quality.
The SRS-BTM30 produces balanced sound at lower volume levels with most musical styles. However, when the volume is raised, distortion becomes evident and the sound quality deteriorates. The bass distorted on most of the musical styles that we played, and without bass or treble controls, we couldn't tweak the output to get clearer sound.
This is an issue on many similar systems we've reviewed, so it isn't surprising, but it's still disappointing for a unit with such a high price tag. It means that the SRS-BTM30 can only be set to at a low volume level in order to produce clear sound. Those looking for a wireless speakers system for parties or for filling a room with sound will be disappointed, but it's fine for close-range, quiet listening.
Perhaps the best part about the SRS-BTM30 is its design; light, portable and quite stylish. It consists of two 48mm magnetically shielded speakers, both concealed by a black mesh. The front of the unit is finished in a dark grey plastic, while the rear features a flashy silver finish. The two speakers extend out of the back of the unit, with the space between each speaker housing the rear DC and line-in ports. This is an unconventional speaker placement, but it means the SRS-BTM30 can be laid flat, or sat in an upright position.
Controls reside on top of the unit and include an illuminated power button, an ID Set button for pairing a Bluetooth device and volume up/down controls. The buttons are firm and slightly raised, which makes them easy to press. Pairing with a Bluetooth device is a simple as holding down the ID Set button for seven seconds. This will enter the unit into pairing mode, detect any A2DP Bluetooth devices within range (ten metres, or so), and connect automatically.
The SRS-BTM30 can run either on AC power (an adaptor is included in the sales package) or on batteries. Three AA batteries can be installed in the concealed battery compartment at the bottom of the unit, and this makes the SRS-BTM30 useful for traveling. It can be a useful system to have while staying in a hotel room, for example. The rear of the unit also has an auxiliary input for the connection of alternate audio sources, but an audio cable isn't supplied with the unit.
Join the newsletter!
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
cloudandco Smart Cane
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Toys for Boys
Bose SoundLink Micro
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Xbox One X
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Sony shows latest high-end Walkman
- Sydney Airport lost property auction: you'll be amazed at what some people left behind
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- CCIT Specialist - System ServicesNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst | Gold CoastQLD
- FTSenior Java and AEM DeveloperOther
- FTService Provider Manager - Asset ManagementOther
- FTSenior Change ManagerNSW
- FTDesktop / SCCM EngineerOther
- FTDatabase Systems SpecialistOther
- FTSenior Sales Executive ? Technology ConsultingQLD
- TPTest Automation EngineerQLD
- TPNetwork EngineerVIC
- TPOrganisational Change Manager | CommunicationsQLD
- FTPortfolio Lead. PMONSW
- FTTechnical Business AnalystOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - AdviceOther
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java/ J2EE DeveloperQLD
- TPAzure DevOps ConsultantNSW
- FTData AnalystOther
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCIntel Active Directory SpecialistNSW
- FTScrum Master - Digital / Marketing - CBAOther
- CCSenior Test AnalystsACT
- FTTelecommunications RiggerOther
- CCData ModellerACT