Sony VAIO VGN-BX168GP
- Poor battery life, small hard drive
Unfortunately there is no microphone, and the specs are a bit weak where it matters.
Price$ 2,999.00 (AUD)
Set to be the next in the latest range of Sony VAIOs is the BX168B. The most notable improvement on previous VAIOs is the biometric fingerprint scanner which is becoming more of a standard part of the next generation of notebooks.
The scanner is very accurate, and well implemented to allow for a single biometric sign on into all of your password-protected areas. We tried ye olde "fool the scanner with a Gummi Bear" trick without any success. To make full use of the finger print sign on, the Documents folder has been replaced by My Safe, which is only accessible via a finger swipe or a password.
Sony has also included a light, but bulky docking station that has an Ethernet connection, two USB ports, a serial port, monitor and DVI-D outputs and a printer output. There is also an exchangeable drive bay and a bay for an extra battery to be on charge (although the extra battery doesn't come with the notebook).
The BX168GP battery life is a little short (especially considering that the notebook weighs 3kg), only 1hr 38min under worst-case conditions. However, the second battery being charged while you are out and about compensates for this to a certain degree. It isn't just the battery that is on the lean side, the built-in hard drive is incredibly small, with only 30GB of space. The BX168GP is designed to rely more on the 70GB exchangeable drive that is included.
In our tests, it posted 4733 in 3DMark 2001SE, which was low compared to similarly priced laptops. It has Wi-Fi and media ports on the front and an excellent quality Web camera above the monitor.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Acer attempts to woo Australian gamers with reveal of its new Predator range
- Lenovo ThinkPad celebrates 25 years of cutting edge technology
- Crowdfunding campaign to bring wireless charging to the Macbook
- Google Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixelbook, Google Home Mini & Max: Everything Announced At Today’s Google Event
- MSI GE73 7RF VR Raider Gaming Laptop: Full, in-depth review
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCSAP Subject Matter ExpertQLD
- FTPractice Director Quality AssuranceSA
- FTNetwork EngineerOther
- CCRecords AnalystNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTSoftware EngineerSA
- FTSenior Test Analyst (Data Migration)Other
- FTMid-Senior PHP DeveloperNSW
- CCSAS DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperNSW
- TPPHP DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Telecommunications RiggerOther
- CCPHP DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Siebel DeveloperACT
- CCChange ManagerACT
- FTProject ManagerOther
- FTDigital Business Analyst - IntermediateQLD
- FTJunior Business AnalystACT
- FTManager, Platform Wealth OperationsOther
- FTService Desk EngineerOther
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)Other
- FTTechnical Business AnalystOther
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist - Senior roleOther
- CCSystem Analyst - AxwayNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - eCommerce/Supply ChainOther