Sony VAIO VGN-FS18GP
- Funky design
- Short battery life
This classy business notebook from Sony helps you get the job done in style.
Price$ 2,999.00 (AUD)
Sony's notebook design team definitely has to be commended. We found this largely business-orientated model attracted attention even though it has a very straightforward design.
This VAIO uses Intel's new Centrino platform (formerly codenamed Sonoma) and comes with an Intel Pentium M 740 processor, 512MB of DDR2 SDRAM (upgradeable to just 1GB), an 80GB hard disk and a DVD writer supporting dual-layer and (through software) one-touch burning.
There's a "Clear Bright" coating over the 15.4" widescreen display, which improves colour contrast and clarity and reduces glare. Sony ships this model with an Nvidia GeForce Go 6200 graphics controller, featuring 128MB of memory.
Sony includes a great software bundle with its notebook. You receive Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 and Premiere Standard, Norton AntiVirus 2005, InterVideo WinDVD 5 plus a range of Sony multimedia creation and notebook management tools.
On the networking front, 802.11b/g Wi-Fi is integrated along with Ethernet and 56Kbps modem connections. You can plug your video camera into the FireWire port and other peripherals into one of the three USB 2.0 ports. If you have a digital camera that uses Memory Sticks, you'll be pleased to hear the FS18GP can accommodate those as well.
The FS18GP came out about on par with other notebooks in its price range. Its application performance was comparatively a bit low but its 3D score was quite solid at 8823 in 3DMark 2001. Battery life was our only concern, with this model achieving just 65 minutes in our worst-case scenario tests.
If the price tag is just a tad too much for you, but you like the look of the FS18GP's stylish simplicity, Sony's FS15GP costs a little less but has a slightly slower processor and smaller hard disk drive.
Although it comes with just one year's warranty, this business-class notebook would certainly be of interest if you're style-savvy and keen to get mobile.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 2 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 3 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
- 4 TCL X2 review: QLED escapes the premium market
- 5 Xbox One X review: Brave new world
Latest News Articles
- Lenovo recalls ThinkPad notebooks after overheating hazard
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By ASUS
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By Dell
- macOS High Sierra ‘root’ security issue allows admin access to your Mac—but there's a fix
- Acer attempts to woo Australian gamers with reveal of its new Predator range
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Sony a7R Mk III review: The strongest case yet for ditching your DSLR
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Oppo R11s: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTMotion Graphics Designer / VideographerNSW
- FTChange ManagerACT
- FTSenior Checkpoint Security EngineerOther
- FTPMO ManagerNSW
- CCApplications Packaging EngineerWA
- FTJava DeveloperVIC
- CCSIAM KPI Reporting Business AnalystNSW
- FTProject Officer / Project Scheduler - Gold Coast BasedOther
- FTInfrastructure Delivery ManagerOther
- CCMicrosoft CRM Technical ConsultantQLD
- FTSenior Infrastructure EngineerOther
- FTCorporate ReceptionistOther
- CCDelivery Manager - Cloud Solution ProjectNSW
- FTDigital DesignerOther
- FTGRC Lead - ECS.113Other
- TPSenior Project ManagerACT
- FTData ScientistOther
- FTProgram ManagerACT
- FTCompliance Analyst - Anti Money Laundering & CTFOther
- FTDevOps EngineerOther
- FTGraduate Project CoordinatorNSW
- FTTechnical AnalystSA
- FTPMO ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Programme Specialist - TelcoOther