Sony VAIO VGN-TX17GP
- Really small
An ultralight tablet PC that is a little weak on character recognition, and too high on price.
Price$ 3,799.00 (AUD)
Good things come in small packages. For instance, Sony's VGN-TX17GP, that weighs a mere 1.2kg (with battery) and has a footprint of 27.5x18.5x2.5cm.
Inside this tiny notebook is an Intel Pentium M Ultra Low Voltage processor running at 1.2GHz, along with 512MB of DDR2 RAM (upgradeable to 1.5GB) and an amazing four-millimetre thick 11.1in LCD screen. With a resolution of 1366x768, the screen shows amazing clarity. The fact that it is so thin does render it more vulnerable to torsion, which may affect its durability. However, we saw no adverse effects as a result of this during testing. The backlight is so powerful for this thin screen that there is a noticeable colour distortion along the bottom of the screen, but it is not of major concern.
The TX17GP posted 79 in PC WorldBench 5 and 3378 in 3DMark 2001SE: well below much larger laptops, but it will play FEAR at 27 frames per second (fps). The battery life was sufficient, scoring 157 minutes on Mobile Mark 2002.
The TX17GP includes two USB 2.0 ports, Ethernet, Memory Stick Pro, Secure Digital, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and iLink S400 FireWire.
Sony has even managed to include a DVD writer, making this an impressive, portable media unit. A note of caution: the drive is thin, and any really fast movement while the disc was spinning caused a grinding sound in our tests. The speakers sound great, the design is fantastic and this VAIO has plenty of power.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
Latest News Articles
- MSI GE73 7RF VR Raider Gaming Laptop: Full, in-depth review
- Traditional Aussie PC market defies global downward trend again
- Acer expands gaming notebook lineup with Predator Helios 300
- ASUS Announces Two New Entries into the VivoBook Range with the VivoBook 14 and VivoBook 15
- Hands-on: MSI's GT75VR Titan brings high-end HDR display tech to a gaming laptop
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTTest Team LeadOther
- FTSolution Architect - Enterprise VoiceVIC
- FTPortfolio Manager/ Process Methodology Manager.Other
- FTSenior Tester - HardwareOther
- CCDevOps Consultant - BrisbaneNSW
- TPPenetration TesterQLD
- FTEnterprise ArchitectOther
- FTSenior IT Recruitment Consultant - CommercialOther
- CC.Net DeveloperQLD
- FTNetwork & Security Gateway EngineerACT
- FTApplication Support Team Lead l Experience with health applicationsNSW
- CCJunior-Mid level .Net/Front-End DeveloperQLD
- TPSenior Desktop AdministratorNSW
- FTSplunk DeveloperVIC
- CCAWS DevOps Engineer - BrisbaneNSW
- CCMitel Contact Centre SpecialistWA
- FTSenior Business Analyst - AZURE/ O365Other
- FTWindows EngineerACT
- FTMarketing and Advertising Project/Sales SupportOther
- FTCyber Security Consultant - IT Services - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTScrum Master / Senior Business AnalystOther
- FTDevelopers (VB.Net/C#.Net)SA
- TPSQL DevloperNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager - Go to Market / Channel ReadinessOther