Sony Vegas 5
Still the musician's NLE with plenty of new features, though probably not enough to challenge the market leaders
Price$ 799.00 (AUD)
Sonic Foundry's Vegas non-linear editor (NLE) now carries Sony's livery as well as a new version number. It's still a software-only NLE, so you'll need a powerful host system to see it at its best.
Existing users will be happy with the familiar front end - which now includes dockable, customisable windows like Premiere Pro - although some of the unusual workflow conventions may confuse anyone migrating from a competing product. Vegas's strongest point has always been its audio feature set, and this is still the case, there being MIDI support, quantisation and metronome tools, plus rulers that can be set to beats and measures rather than time and frames. Be aware, however, that the 5.1 Surround Pack with AC-3 encoding is still an expensive ($US289, download only) added extra, though the Vegas + DVD bundle includes DVD Architect with AC-3 encoding for $1249.
As you'd expect, Vegas 5 maintains an impressive slew of keyframeable effects, filters and transitions, with advanced colour controls, unlimited video/audio tracks and powerful software-based previews. New features include SWF import, stackable effects that can be saved for instant recall, velocity (playback speed) envelopes including render-free video reversal, network rendering clients, and sub-clip creation from longer media. You'll also find a sample collection of background clips, plus a copy of the ScreenBlast ACID sequencer in the box.
Overall, Vegas 5 isn't going to drag Liquid Edition, Premiere Pro or Xpress DV users away from their existing setups, but it should continue to find favour as the music producer's NLE of choice.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Huawei Y5 (2017): Full, in depth review
- 3 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 4 First Look: Nikon D850
- 5 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
- Dragon Gets NDIS Approval
- NAB go in on Google Assistant integration with new app
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Canon 6D MK II
- Panasonic’s EX600U UHD HDR TV + HTB688 soundbar:
- Which case should I buy for the Samsung Galaxy Note 8?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTBusiness Project ManagerOther
- FTPermanent Project ManagersACT
- FTService Desk Level 2 Support ConsultantACT
- TPSenior Project OfficerQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst - BI & ReportingNSW
- FTSERVICE DESK - ENTRY LEVELSA
- TPPrincipal Business AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Software Engineer - DigitalVIC
- FTField Engineers - Hardware DeploymentsNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystACT
- CCIT Project SchedulerQLD
- FTSales / Account ManagerOther
- FTEnterprise Architect - ApplicationsOther
- FTData EngineerOther
- CCWindows / Unix / Linux Systems Administration / Support SpecialistNSW
- FTSAP Payroll Test LeadOther
- CCSolution ArchitectVIC
- FTIntegration Manager - (Oracle Fusion Middle ware)ACT
- CCSalesforce ArchitectVIC
- CCSoftware EngineerNSW
- TPProject Manager/Business Analyst - HPWQLD
- CCPenetration Test AnalystACT
- FTSenior Project Manager- Infrastructure & ApplicationsOther
- FTTest AnalystOther
- FTTechnical Engineer - NPIOther