Sony Vegas 5
Still the musician's NLE with plenty of new features, though probably not enough to challenge the market leaders
Price$ 799.00 (AUD)
Sonic Foundry's Vegas non-linear editor (NLE) now carries Sony's livery as well as a new version number. It's still a software-only NLE, so you'll need a powerful host system to see it at its best.
Existing users will be happy with the familiar front end - which now includes dockable, customisable windows like Premiere Pro - although some of the unusual workflow conventions may confuse anyone migrating from a competing product. Vegas's strongest point has always been its audio feature set, and this is still the case, there being MIDI support, quantisation and metronome tools, plus rulers that can be set to beats and measures rather than time and frames. Be aware, however, that the 5.1 Surround Pack with AC-3 encoding is still an expensive ($US289, download only) added extra, though the Vegas + DVD bundle includes DVD Architect with AC-3 encoding for $1249.
As you'd expect, Vegas 5 maintains an impressive slew of keyframeable effects, filters and transitions, with advanced colour controls, unlimited video/audio tracks and powerful software-based previews. New features include SWF import, stackable effects that can be saved for instant recall, velocity (playback speed) envelopes including render-free video reversal, network rendering clients, and sub-clip creation from longer media. You'll also find a sample collection of background clips, plus a copy of the ScreenBlast ACID sequencer in the box.
Overall, Vegas 5 isn't going to drag Liquid Edition, Premiere Pro or Xpress DV users away from their existing setups, but it should continue to find favour as the music producer's NLE of choice.
Join the newsletter!
A printer that is efficient, reliable and can work seamlessly with your systems and software.Read this solicitor's review to find out more!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Zolo Liberty+ review: The true wireless earbuds you've been waiting for
- 5 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
Latest News Articles
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Transport for NSW boosts digital experience with Amazon Alexa
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- Businesses jump on Amazon’s Alexa after Australian launch date revealed
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Interview - Netgear CEO Patrick Lo talks eSports, the NBN and why mesh is the smartphone of home Wi-Fi
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTApplication Support ManagerOther
- CCIntegration Developer - Port MacquarieQLD
- CCSenior Node.js DeveloperQLD
- FTRates and billings ERP ConsultantQLD
- CCChange Manager l Port Macquarie NSWNSW
- FTNetwork Infrastructure Development EngineerNSW
- FTData EngineerOther
- FTBusiness Analyst - End User ComputingOther
- CCSharepoint DeveloperVIC
- FTData AnalystOther
- FTSAP Test AnalystsACT
- FTSenior Test Analyst - Multiple rolesOther
- FTBig Data ArchitectOther
- FTAssociate - Case ManagementOther
- FTDesktop Engineer Level 1 - 2Other
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTData Insights Consultant - CBD work locationOther
- CCHadoop DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Solution Architect - Brisbane locationNSW
- TPTechnical Project Manager (HRIS)WA
- TPProject Manager - SEQQLD
- CCX2 BPE Managers - TelcoVIC
- CCSystem Infrastructure EngineerNSW
- FTForeperson / Field Supervisor - ConstructionVIC
- FTSalesforce DeveloperOther