Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9
Video editing for beginners
- Valuable new features (including direct-to-Youtube uploads and royalty-free music generator), exhaustive array of video effects and transitions, user-friendly tutorials/interface
- No support for high-def cameras, royalty-free music varies in quality
Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 may not be as comprehensive as its Platinum brother, but it remains an extremely solid offering for novice videographers. If you'd like to add some pizzazz to your movies without breaking your bank account, it will definitely keep you satisfied.
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
When it comes to making entertaining videos, no single factor is more important than a misbehaving monkey. They will turn any home movie — even a funeral — into instant comedy gold. Unfortunately, monkeys can be pretty hard to come by. In these simian-free situations, the overall success of your video will mostly come down to the editing process. The quality of the final cut can make all the difference between a riveting movie and a tedious snorefest; whether you’re an avant-garde filmmaker or a handycam-equipped mum. It’s therefore essential to invest in a nonlinear editing suite, such as Sony’s latest Vegas Movie Studio.
Aimed primarily at the casual-shooting demographic, Vegas Movie Studio 9 is a standard-definition editing suite that puts user-friendliness at the forefront. It covers most facets of digital media creation; from adding effects, transitions and titles to designing slick DVD menus and slideshows. Its only failing comes from the lack of AVCHD/HDV support — for high-def cameras, you’ll need to purchase the more expensive Sony Vegas Platinum or Platinum Pro versions. Otherwise, this standard 'bare bones' edition offers nearly everything the entry-level user will need.
Despite being a stripped-down version of the full Sony Vegas product, Movie Studio 9 still contains plenty of tools and features for the asking price. Features making their debut in Version 9 include Make Movie/New Project wizard tools for streamlined video creation, a Cinescore Studio Plug-in for the creation of royalty-free music, an integrated YouTube upload tool for instant online publishing, and full-screen preview support for single monitors. In addition, all the modes and features from the previous version of Vegas Movie Studio are present and accounted for, making this one of the most versatile products in its price range.
With eight previous iterations of Vegas Movie Studio under its belt, Sony has had plenty of time to perfect its software interface, and it shows. Sticking to the standard tri-pane layout, everything is cleanly assembled and highly intuitive. Even those who have never used a video-editing program before will find themselves in good hands — there are more than 30 interactive tutorials to follow, covering everything from colour correction to DVD burning. (For the truly camera shy, a bonus training DVD is also included in the sales package).
Once your footage is captured, editing is a simple matter of selecting a clip and dragging it onto the editing timeline, where effects, titles and transitions can be applied with ease. More than 500 video effects and transitions are included, allowing you to make your movies as stylised or avant-garde as you like.
The audio options are also quite extensive, including support for Dolby 5.1 surround sound and audio restoration tools (for removing unwanted noise from footage). With the Cinescore Home Studio Soundtrack Pack, it’s also possible to create royalty-free soundtracks that perfectly fit the mood and length of your video. Naturally, some of the included themes suffer from ‘muzak’ syndrome (think elevator music), but all in all the included selection isn’t bad. You can also purchase additional themes from the Sony Vegas Web site.
For the first time, Vegas Movie Studio 9 lets you publish your work directly to YouTube. The interface automatically links to your YouTube account, allowing you to encode and upload videos in a few simple mouse clicks. If you’re a fan of online video sharing (or simply want to wet your toes in it), this feature is bound to come in handy.
Creating DVDs is equally achievable for the novice, thanks to the inclusion of DVD Architect Studio 4.5. This is a comprehensive DVD authoring program complete with slick menu templates that put many store-bought movies to shame. The package includes more than 40 different DVD themes, which should ensure the menu matches your footage (unless you’re making a snuff film).
In summary, Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 offers plenty of features and functionality for the first-time videographer, with an emphasis on ease-of-use. It’s the next best thing to owning a showbiz-savvy orang-utan.
Join the newsletter!
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
cloudandco Smart Cane
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Toys for Boys
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Xbox One X
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft delves deeper into AI with new kit bag of tools
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- TPProject Manager - Pre Sales Development ProcessNSW
- FTStorage & Backup Engineer x2 - EMCOther
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTSenior Project ManagerOther
- FTProject Manager -Accommodation Program-Fit-out, RelocationOther
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- CCMobile Applications DevelopersACT
- CCAutomation Designer (Solutions Architect) - Robotics (RPA) - SydneyNSW
- FTIT Service Delivery ManagerOther
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperOther
- FTSolution Architect/Designer - Telecom IndustryOther
- CCIntegration AnalystVIC
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java/ J2EE DeveloperVIC
- CCLSS BPMN Process Improvement AnalystVIC
- FTAutomation Tester - 12 month contract - Big 4 BankOther
- FTJava Software Engineers wanted (Melbourne CBD location)VIC
- CCSecurity AnalystQLD
- TPAndroid Engineer - Contract (6 months)NSW
- CCSenior Technical Business AnalystNSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer / DeveloperNSW
- CCMobile Applications DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Java DevelopersACT
- FTAutomation TesterOther
- FTTest Automation EngineerVIC