Sony Vegas Movie Studio + DVD 7 (Platinum Edition)
- HD friendly, huge array of effects and transitions, very easy to use.
- Training video is for uber-novices only.
This is a feature-rich and user-friendly package that should suit amateurs and semi-professionals alike.
Price$ 239.00 (AUD)
When it comes to producing professional looking videos, the editing process is arguably more important than remembering to take the lens cap off your camera. Whether you dream of winning fame and fortune at Tropfest, or just want your friends to stay awake for your holiday videos, the quality of the final cut can make all the difference.
Now up to its seventh iteration, Sony's highly lauded Vegas Movie Studio will ensure your digital creations match the unmolested vision in your head. With support for both DV and HDV cameras, the inclusion of DVD Architect Studio 4, and more effects than you can shake a stick at, this is one impressive piece of software that is admirably easy to use.
Despite being a stripped down version of the professional Vegas package, Movie Studio provides more tools and options than the majority of users will ever need. Over 500 video effects and transitions are included, allowing you to make your movies as stylised or avant-garde as you like. The audio options are also quite extensive, including support for Dolby 5.1 surround sound and custom soundtrack creation.
Sticking to the by-now standard tri-pane interface, everything is clearly laid out and highly intuitive. Once your footage is captured, editing is a simple matter of selecting a clip and dragging it onto the editing timeline, where effects, titles and transitions can be applied with ease. The menus are particularly helpful and the entire process quickly becomes second nature. One great feature is the ability to automatically convert 4:3 screen ratios to 16:9 (widescreen) and vice-versa; ensuring your mixed footage will match regardless of what ratio it was shot in.
Even those who have never used a video-editing program before will find themselves in good hands -- there are over 30 interactive tutorials to follow, covering everything from colour correction to DVD burning. For the truly camera shy, a bonus training video has also been included, featuring a friendly videographer with a mullet who runs you through the baby steps. (He even offers tips on using cameras and tripods to ensure your footage is actually worth cutting together.)
As with most editing programs, you can spread the interface over two monitors; a useful option for those who want to take advantage of full-screen previews. Incidentally, the default preview window will still give you a pretty good view of the action, even on medium sized monitors.
DVD authoring is where Sony Vegas Movie Studio truly comes into its own though. As already mentioned, Sony has bundled DVD Architect Studio 4 in with the package, which combines functionality with ease of use and is almost worthy of a review on its own. While it's more powerful and complex than some of its rivals, basic tasks are still quite simple to achieve. A series of easy-to-follow steps will have your movie burnt to DVD, VCD or CD in no time -- you can even export directly to a Sony PSP, or reformat files for use on your iPod.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 HTC U11 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Gigabyte Aero 15 corporate gaming laptop review
- 3 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 4 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft apologizes after a rogue Windows 10 preview build causes chaos
- Skype's major redesign prioritizes helpful bots and a smart camera over traditional video chats
- All-electric satellites are ushering in zippier in-flight internet access
- Why Microsoft's ARM-based Windows 10 laptops still have a lot to prove
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- MSI GL62M 7RDX gaming laptop review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTIT Support EngineerNSW
- FTSoftware Licensing and Contract AnalystOther
- FTDigital Business Analyst - MediaOther
- FTSenior Policy OfficerOther
- FTSenior HFC EngineerNSW
- FTSoftware ConsultantOther
- FTSenior Siebel Developer - Canberra/MelbourneACT
- FTLevel 2/3 Application Support SpecialistQLD
- FTWintel Infrastructure EngineerACT
- CCSAP MM Functional ConsultantVIC
- FTSenior Cerner Applications SpecialistOther
- FTUX/CX LeadOther
- TPProject Coordinator / Junior Project ManagerQLD
- CCData ArchitectNSW
- FTPresales Solution Architect - NetworksNSW
- FTLead Network EngineerOther
- FTNetwork ArchitectACT
- FTProject Manager-Rail/ Telecommunication /Electrical engineeringOther
- CCSenior Automation Test AnalystNSW
- CCAPI Platform EngineerNSW
- CCApplication Architect - CloudVIC
- FTERP Business AnalystOther
- FTSenior Network Engineer - SMEOther
- FTLevel 2/3 Application Support SpecialistQLD