Sony Vegas Movie Studio + DVD 7 (Platinum Edition)
- HD friendly, huge array of effects and transitions, very easy to use.
- Training video is for uber-novices only.
This is a feature-rich and user-friendly package that should suit amateurs and semi-professionals alike.
Price$ 239.00 (AUD)
When it comes to producing professional looking videos, the editing process is arguably more important than remembering to take the lens cap off your camera. Whether you dream of winning fame and fortune at Tropfest, or just want your friends to stay awake for your holiday videos, the quality of the final cut can make all the difference.
Now up to its seventh iteration, Sony's highly lauded Vegas Movie Studio will ensure your digital creations match the unmolested vision in your head. With support for both DV and HDV cameras, the inclusion of DVD Architect Studio 4, and more effects than you can shake a stick at, this is one impressive piece of software that is admirably easy to use.
Despite being a stripped down version of the professional Vegas package, Movie Studio provides more tools and options than the majority of users will ever need. Over 500 video effects and transitions are included, allowing you to make your movies as stylised or avant-garde as you like. The audio options are also quite extensive, including support for Dolby 5.1 surround sound and custom soundtrack creation.
Sticking to the by-now standard tri-pane interface, everything is clearly laid out and highly intuitive. Once your footage is captured, editing is a simple matter of selecting a clip and dragging it onto the editing timeline, where effects, titles and transitions can be applied with ease. The menus are particularly helpful and the entire process quickly becomes second nature. One great feature is the ability to automatically convert 4:3 screen ratios to 16:9 (widescreen) and vice-versa; ensuring your mixed footage will match regardless of what ratio it was shot in.
Even those who have never used a video-editing program before will find themselves in good hands -- there are over 30 interactive tutorials to follow, covering everything from colour correction to DVD burning. For the truly camera shy, a bonus training video has also been included, featuring a friendly videographer with a mullet who runs you through the baby steps. (He even offers tips on using cameras and tripods to ensure your footage is actually worth cutting together.)
As with most editing programs, you can spread the interface over two monitors; a useful option for those who want to take advantage of full-screen previews. Incidentally, the default preview window will still give you a pretty good view of the action, even on medium sized monitors.
DVD authoring is where Sony Vegas Movie Studio truly comes into its own though. As already mentioned, Sony has bundled DVD Architect Studio 4 in with the package, which combines functionality with ease of use and is almost worthy of a review on its own. While it's more powerful and complex than some of its rivals, basic tasks are still quite simple to achieve. A series of easy-to-follow steps will have your movie burnt to DVD, VCD or CD in no time -- you can even export directly to a Sony PSP, or reformat files for use on your iPod.
Join the newsletter!
A printer that is efficient, reliable and can work seamlessly with your systems and software.Read this solicitor's review to find out more!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Zolo Liberty+ review: The true wireless earbuds you've been waiting for
- 5 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
Latest News Articles
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Transport for NSW boosts digital experience with Amazon Alexa
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- Businesses jump on Amazon’s Alexa after Australian launch date revealed
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTChange & Release ManagerOther
- TP.NET DeveloperNSW
- FTData AnalystOther
- CCHadoop DeveloperSA
- CCiOS Developer - Brisbane locationVIC
- FT3rd Level Network and Systems AdministratorNSW
- TPService Desk AnalystVIC
- FTIntegration Analyst - Axway/APIVIC
- FTSenior Security EngineerOther
- FTSenior Project Manager - OFM ImplementationOther
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- FTFull Stack Developer - NodeJSQLD
- CCProject Manager (mid-level)NSW
- CCMid - Level Dynamics CRM Functional ConsultantQLD
- FTDigital Business AnalystOther
- FTC# .Net Developer | Fintech Products | Market LeaderOther
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTIntegration DeveloperOther
- CCPackager / Packager TesterNSW
- FTJava Developer (API)Other
- TPPMO AnalystACT
- FTSenior Cost ModellerOther
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCDynamics CRM Functional Consultant - BrisbaneNSW