- Stylish Design, Bright picture, Good text and moving images, Responsive menus.
- Only basic calibration tools.
The versatile Sony CX76 offers advanced features and good image quality at a premium price.
Price$ 3,995.00 (AUD)
If you're interested in a projector that supports wireless presentations, the feature-rich Sony VPL-CX76 is a worthy choice. A higher-end version of the Sony VPL-CX20A, this LCD model has a similarly clean, stylish design that keeps some of its controls and inputs hidden behind panels on the sides of the projector. Its automated features include a powered lens cover, automatic tilt adjustment, automatic keystone correction, and powered zoom and focus operable via remote control.
Compared to the lightweight CX20A, however, the 6.8-pound CX76 is larger and brighter (with a 2500-lumens rating, enabling it to work well in fairly large rooms that have moderate ambient light). It also packs more features to help justify its higher price. Most notably, it comes bundled with an 802.11b/g wireless LAN card (for the projector) and a comparable wireless LAN module (for the host PC) so it supports wireless presentations right out of the box. The CX20A has a Memory Stick slot for running presentations or displaying JPEG or MPEG files without requiring connection to a computer, and it comes bundled with software for creating files for a Memory Stick-based presentation. Sony tosses in a pocket-size presentation device that includes a laser pointer.
In performance tests run at its default settings, the CX76 earned better-than-average scores for text and graphics display. It earned high scores for rendering crisp text in a spreadsheet screen and for displaying vibrant, realistic color in various photo screens, including ones of a racetrack and a colorful selection of candy.
In our moving-image tests, however, the CX76's scores were closer to average. The CX76's few alternate picture modes (such as dynamic or standard, and text or graphics) helped improve the quality of some still images and video. The greatest improvements in displayed video came when we changed the color temperature from high to low, but Sony doesn't provide a preset option (such as a video mode) to make the switch for you automatically.
The CX76's on-screen menu works well, and we especially liked the way the main menu disappeared from the screen while we made certain tweaks, leaving only the option we were using displayed on the bottom of the screen. The unit provides basic image-adjustment tools, but offers fewer advanced options (such as individual RGB control) than some competing models.
The easy-to-use, standard-size remote includes a small but fluid joystick for full mouse control. A USB cable and a computer (VGA) cable are included, but no others for video or audio. The built-in (1-watt) speaker is fine for undemanding presentations, but for home-theatre use we'd want a more powerful sound system.
Join the newsletter!
A printer that is efficient, reliable and can work seamlessly with your systems and software.Read this solicitor's review to find out more!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Zolo Liberty+ review: The true wireless earbuds you've been waiting for
- 5 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
Latest News Articles
- BenQ Debuts True 4K UHD HDR Home Cinema Projector Designed for Modern Families
- Sony's Android-powered Xperia projector turns any flat surface into a touch screen
- Sony’s new liquid-cooled 4K home video projector delivers 5000 lumens of brightness, costs $60,000
- BenQ targets Epson with revamped home entertainment projectors
- LG's new Laser Display gives you 100in of full HD glory
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCDevOps ArchitectACT
- TPDynamics CRM Support EngineerNSW
- FTDigital BA x2Other
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC
- TPEL1 Data AnalystACT
- TPSystems AdministratorQLD
- FTMid Level UX DesignerOther
- CCChange Analyst-TransformationNSW
- CCLead Technical Specialist - NetApp Storage and BackupVIC
- CCIT Project ManagerNSW
- FTStakeholder Engagement Lead x2 (Land Access)Other
- FTIT Program ManagerOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Product MigrationOther
- FTPrincipal Consultant - Scheduling & Planning (Primavera & MSP)Other
- FTOffice Manager / PAOther
- FTNetezza DeveloperQLD
- CCProject Manager - Power BI, Mobility & IntegrationQLD
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- FTFrontend Developer/Digital DesignerNSW
- FTProcess Specialist - $700 per dayOther
- FTSenior Solutions Consultant - ServiceNowNSW
- FTSecurity DesignerOther
- CCXamarin DeveloperNSW
- FT1st Level Technical SupportVIC
- TPEL1 Project ManagerACT