Sony Ericsson HBV-100
- Wireless convenience, doubles as regular Bluetooth headset, good battery life, drivers automatically stored on dongle
- Pairing is a little fiddly, will only get value if it's used for both VoIP and regular mobile phone calls
If you regularly need a Bluetooth headset for your phone, and you also make use of VoIP on your PC, then the HBV-100 should be right up your alley.
Price$ 128.00 (AUD)
The Sony Ericsson HBV-100 is a VoIP accessory consisting of two parts; a USB dongle, and a Bluetooth headset. It allows you to use VoIP programs on your PC using a Bluetooth headset, so it's ideal for those who spent a lot of time using VoIP and would appreciate the convenience of a wireless headset.
The dongle is compatible with any PC running Windows XP, and best of all, the USB audio drivers are automatically installed when you connect it, so there is no need for any downloads or installation off a disk. The HBV-100 package works with any voice program, including the likes of Skype, MSN Messenger, Yahoo! Messenger and other VoIP software.
We tested the unit using Skype and its performance was reasonable, if not outstanding. The convenience of using a wireless headset is notable, especially as the Bluetooth headset can be used separately with your mobile phone, so you essentially kill two birds with one stone.
Our main issue with the HBV-100 is pairing. It's a little bit of a hassle and certainly takes more time than we're used to with Bluetooth headsets. It involves holding down a small button on the dongle until a blue light flashes slowly, then putting the headset into pairing mode by holding down both volume keys. From there, the headset should automatically connect to the dongle, although this wasn't always the case for us during testing. It took three attempts to finally get the device paired - although once it was paired, it stores that pairing and connects automatically each time you plug the dongle into your PC.
The headset included in the package is Sony Ericsson's HBH-PV705. It's finished in a metallic blue colour, has an adjustable removable ear hook (so it can be worn on either ear) and provides an excellent 12 hours of talk time and up to 300 hours of standby time.
Overall, the HBV-100 is a decent package, but it will appeal most to those who will use the headset for both mobile phone calls, and VoIP, rather than just the latter.
Join the newsletter!
cloudandco Smart Cane
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Toys for Boys
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Bose SoundLink Micro
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Xbox One X
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 TCL X2 review: QLED escapes the premium market
- 2 Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- 3 Acer Spin 5 review: Value for money but conditions apply
- 4 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 5 Sony LF-S50G review: Google Assistant and then some
Latest News Articles
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By Netgear
- CES 2018: D-Link Demonstrates New Connected Innovations
- Razer Partners With Ignition Design Labs on Gaming-Grade Wi-Fi
- Netgear target small businesses with Orbi Pro
- D-Link Launches Their Fastest-Ever NBN AC5300 MU-MIMO Modem Router
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- JBL Link 10 review
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- FTUI / UX Designer - 6 Month ContractOther
- FTFrontend Developer/DesignerNSW
- FTTeradata Systems Engineer - Financial Services - Permanent - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCThe job "Automation Test Analyst Guidewire " is now ExpiredQLD
- FTFull stack DeveloperOther
- FTCRM Business AnalystACT
- CCTechnical Consultant - FortifyACT
- CCGeospatial Project ManagerNSW
- FTWLM Hanna Data ModellersACT
- TPOffice 365 Technical AnalystVIC
- FTCyber Security ArchitectOther
- CCOperations Support OfficerVIC
- CCDevOps EngineerQLD
- CCLead Pega Systems ArchitectACT
- CCMid-level Architect/Technical Lead ( Java/J2EE) - Brisbane LocationVIC
- CCHR/Payroll Solution ArchitectQLD
- FTFront End DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Project ManagerOther
- TPBusiness Consulting Senior PrincipalACT
- FTDevOps & IT Operations | Trading & Finance | LinuxOther
- CCJunior Cyber Security AnalystACT
- FTLevel 2 Desktop Support EngineerVIC
- CCL1 Desktop Support TechnicianVIC
- FTTableau DeveloperOther