Sony Ericsson HCB-700
- Bright and clear display, Excellent voice quality and volume
- Control knob design, Can’t access SIM phonebook, Not all features compatible with non-Sony Ericsson handsets
If you own a Sony Ericsson phone, this is a car kit with some excellent features, most notably its voice digit dialing and phonebook capabilities.
Price$ 305.00 (AUD)
The Sony Ericsson HCB-700 is a Bluetooth hands-free car kit that utilises voice recognition technology to help you make calls. A three piece unit which requires installation into your vehicle, the HCB-700 is ideal for those who constantly use their mobile phone while driving.
The HCB-700's best feature is without doubt what Sony Ericsson has dubbed 'Voice Digit Dialling'. You simply press the speech button on the controller, say the phone number out loud and the unit automatically dials it for you. Furthermore, if you have a Sony Ericsson compatible handset, you can say the names of contacts in your phonebook for dialing as well. We found this feature worked quite well, although you need to ensure your speech is clear and loud for it to register on the device. Do note though that this function only works with specific Sony Ericsson models (full compatible phone list available here.).
The HCB-700 consists of three parts - a backlit monochrome display, a speaker and a control knob. Ideally, the control knob should be installed in the centre console between the front two seats of your car, so it is easily accessible while driving. The knob consists of five buttons (power/end call, Bluetooth, speech/answer call, phonebook and a scroll wheel), but we felt the design was poorly implemented. The knob does not feel secure or sturdy and the scroll wheel is a little flimsy. We found it difficult to achieve accuracy when scrolling through menu items, for example.
The display is bright and clear thanks to a monochrome backlight and you can select either a white or green backlight through the settings menu. We had no complaints with the screen in any department. There are enough character spaces to show even the longest of contact names and the backlight ensures the screen is visible for night driving. The HCB-700 is also compatible with caller ID (provided your Sony Ericsson phone and mobile network supports it), so a quick look at the display can tell you who is calling. You can then decide whether you want to take or reject the call using the answer or end call key. The display is best mounted at eye level - somewhere on your car's dashboard would be ideal.
We were very impressed with the voice quality of the HCB-700: the speakerphone is quite loud and clear even in noisy environments. You shouldn't experience any difficulties hearing voice at anytime during travel, even in heavy traffic, since the volume of the speaker at its highest setting is more than adequate. A nifty feature we also found was that in addition to the speaker ringing during an incoming call, your phone rings as well - meaning you shouldn't ever miss a call.
Another worthy feature is the ability to scroll through your phonebook using the controls and screen of the HCB-700. This means you really don't need to pick up your phone at all while driving. Once again though, this only works with certain Sony Ericsson models. Furthermore, the HCB-700 isn't compatible with your SIM contacts, so you'll have to make sure they are in the phone's memory.
Overall, the HCB-700 is an excellent all-round car kit, but we would question its purchase if you don't own a Sony Ericsson handset. However if you do and constantly use your mobile in the car then the convenience of voice dialling and the ability to scroll through your phonebook is well worth its asking price.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
Latest News Articles
- Panasonic launches new Windows powered Toughpad
- Oppo release limited Barcelona FC version of R11 flagship
- 3SIXT Reveals iPhone X Offering
- ALDI Mobile Ups Stakes in the Telco Industry
- Tech21 Unveils New Phone Protection for Apple iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTSenior Business ConsultantOther
- FTBusiness Analyst - Accounting / Financial DataOther
- FTService Desk AnalystVIC
- FTDigital Acquisition Campaign ManagerNSW
- CCInformation Security Consultant - BrisbaneACT
- FTIT Security Technical Business AnalystOther
- FTData Modeller (Test Data Management)ACT
- FTWeb DeveloperOther
- FTRPA DeveloperOther
- FTProject Support OfficerOther
- FTJava Developer & DevOpsVIC
- CCXamarin Mobile DeveloperVIC
- FTSnr Security Consultant - IT Services - North Ryde areaNSW
- CCDeveloper - JIRA / ConfluenceNSW
- CCNon-Functional Test ConsultantNSW
- TPProject Officer. 6 month contract. Program AdministrationNSW
- CCSAP Application SecurityNSW
- FTSolutions Architect (Enterprise Infrastructure)ACT
- FTIT Desktop ManagerOther
- FTPython DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Java DeveloperQLD
- CCCloud Engineer - AzureVIC
- FTSenior Business ArchitectOther
- FTLead Business Analyst - Logistics and Supply ChainOther