Sony Ericsson W705a mobile phone
The TelstraOne Experience interface adds a new dimension to this stylish Walkman phone
- TelstraOne Experience interface, design, well-implemented controls and keypad, smooth slider, HSDPA-capable, Wi-Fi, 4GB M2 card included
- Slider does wiggle slightly when pressed, incoming audio could be louder, no GPS
The Telstra-exclusive Sony Ericsson W705a doesn’t offer any groundbreaking features, but the TelstraOne Experience interface is intuitive and user-friendly.
Price$ 619.00 (AUD)
Sony Ericsson's W705a is a Telstra-exclusive version of the W705. It offers the same design and features as the original model, but the TelstraOne Experience interface offers a new dimension to this phone's usability.
The W705a Walkman phone is a slider handset that boasts a stylish design. It features a black brushed steel finish, chrome edging and a matte black rear case — a sleeker look than the original's brown and gold colour combination. The Sony Ericsson W705a feels reasonably well built, though the top half of the slider does wiggle from side to side. The battery cover is held down by a small yet effective plastic lock slider, located at the bottom of the phone. As it’s a Telstra exclusive, the W705a has Telstra branding below the controls.
The Sony Ericsson W705a's controls are straightforward. The five-way navigational pad doubles as music playback controls, and the phone also has two selection buttons, answer and end call keys and a number of shortcut buttons. On the right of the handset are volume controls and a camera button. There is a dedicated Walkman button on the top, and it is a little too small for our liking. The Sony Ericsson W705a's keypad looks flat, but the keys are well separated and are slightly raised, making text messages easy to type at fast speeds.
Aside from access to the Next G network, the real benefit of the Sony Ericsson W705a being exclusive to Telstra is the TelstraOne Experience user interface. This is a home screen overlay that offers quick access to a range of commonly accessed applications, including contacts, messages, BigPond services and a search function.
The My Place portal is also intuitive: a 3x4 grid of icons can be arranged any way you like in this menu and shortcuts include a range of widgets, applications, Telstra BigPond links and Web links. Telstra's mobile Foxtel, Yellow Pages and Trading Post services are good examples, and you can also add quick links to a range of social networking clients such as Facebook, MySpace and Twitter. Conveniently, the TelstraOne Experience menu reduces the frequency of users having to enter the main menu. The transitions between screens are fairly smooth and the customisation offered is a big plus.
The Sony Ericsson W705a includes the latest Walkman music software and the included headphones produce a crisp and warm sound with decent bass. There is no 3.5mm headphone jack, but Sony Ericsson includes an adapter that allows a standard pair of headphones to be used. You can tailor your audio using the five band equaliser or a range of presets.
Sony Ericsson's TrackID feature allows you to record a few seconds of any song and send the snippet to a music database. If the song is recognised, the title, album and artist name are sent back to you. A2DP Bluetooth and an FM radio are also available, while Shake It! and SensME technologies are both included. Shake It! allows you to skip tracks by simply shaking the phone, while SensME allows you to create a playlist based on mood and tempo.
The Sony Ericsson W705a is HSDPA-capable and is also the first Walkman phone to include Wi-Fi. Being a Telstra exclusive, it runs on the 850MHz 3G spectrum that the telco's Next G network uses. The W705a comes with 120MB of internal memory, and a 4GB Memory Stick Micro (M2) is included.
Other features of the W705a Walkman phone include a 3.2-megapixel camera with LED flash, a video player and some of Sony Ericsson's proprietary applications such as VideoDJ, PhotoDJ and Music DJ. There's also remote control and sound recording functions, and USB 2.0 connectivity — unfortunately through a proprietary USB port. The W705a Walkman also has a host of organiser features including calendar, tasks, notes, alarms, calculator, synchronisation, timer and stopwatch.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
cloudandco Smart Cane
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Apple iPhone X
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Toys for Boys
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Google Daydream View VR Headset
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Bose SoundLink Micro
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Xbox One X
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 TCL X2 review: QLED escapes the premium market
- 2 Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- 3 Acer Spin 5 review: Value for money but conditions apply
- 4 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 5 Sony LF-S50G review: Google Assistant and then some
Latest News Articles
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- Sony Xperia XA2 to be Available in Australia
- CES 2018: Alcatel Embrace 18:9 Aspect Ratio In 2018
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By Belkin
- CES 2018: Belkin Unveils Armada Of New Wireless Charging Solutions
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCSQL DBAWA
- CCMid-level Architect/Technical Lead ( Java/J2EE) - Brisbane LocationVIC
- CCBusiness Project ManagerNSW
- FTNetwork Engineering Team Lead/Network ManagerSA
- CCSenior MySQL Database AdministratorNSW
- TPSenior Applications Project ManagerACT
- CCSystems EngineerWA
- FTUX DesignerOther
- FTUX DesignerOther
- CCRegulatory Project ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Analysts - apps developmentACT
- TPProject OfficerNSW
- FTTeradata Systems Engineer - Financial Services - Permanent - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTSenior Software EngineerOther
- FTProject Manager - NSW Health exp essentialOther
- FTPerformance Test Consultant X1Other
- TPSenior Project Manager - Multiple OpportunitiesQLD
- CCIT Service Desk SpecialistQLD
- TPProject Director | Long term contractQLD
- CCTechnical Lead (Java/ J2EE)QLD
- FTRecruitment Consultant- Internal Vacancy -NSWOther
- FTBusiness Analyst - $650 per dayOther
- CCLead Technical Specialist ? Storage & BackupsVIC
- CCFront-End DeveloperNSW