Sony Ericsson W902 mobile phone
Sony Ericsson's new Walkman mobile phone offers clear bass and premium headphones
- Candybar design, layout and placement of controls, good screen, excellent sound quality, 8GB M2 card included, Sony Ericsson HPM-77 headphones
- Proprietary charging/headphone jack, no outstanding features
The Sony Ericsson W902 mobile phone doesn't break any new ground, but if you're after a music phone, then the premium headphones and excellent sound quality of this handset is sure to impress. It’s a shame about the proprietary headphone jack.
Price$ 699.00 (AUD)
The Sony Ericsson W902 is a HSDPA-capable mobile phone that doesn’t offer any groundbreaking features, but it scores points for its sturdy design and excellent music capabilities.
The most striking aspect of the W902 Walkman phone is its candy bar design. It feels well built, solid and definitely capable of taking a few knocks, but at the same time, it's light and comfortable to hold. The matte black finish attracts few fingerprints, and the diamond-etched pattern on the right side and the rear casing adds some style and at the same time makes the phone easy to grip.
The Sony Ericsson W902 Walkman's controls are straightforward. The five-way navigational pad doubles as music playback controls, and the phone also has two selection buttons, answer and end call keys and a number of shortcut buttons. On the right of the handset are dedicated, translucent Walkman buttons that include a volume control, play/pause key and previous and next keys, while a Walkman button on the top launches the music software. The W902's keypad looks small, but the keys are raised, well spaced and comfortable to type on.
The Sony Ericsson W902 includes the latest Walkman music software, which is integrated closely with multimedia features including photos, videos, games and Web feeds. The included Sony Ericsson HPM-77 premium headphones produce a crisp and warm sound with excellent bass, but the lack of a 3.5mm headphone jack is disappointing (despite the included adapter). The sound quality produced is excellent and like most of the Walkman series, audio is definitely the most attractive feature of this music phone. Equalisation options include treble, heavy, pop, jazz, normal, unique, soul, easy and bass presets. Stereo widening, clear bass and clear stereo are also present, aiming to boost the music experience.
Sony Ericsson's TrackID feature allows you to record a few seconds of any song and send the snippet to a music database. If the song is recognised in the database, the title, album and artist name details are sent back to you. In our tests, we mainly sampled mainstream songs and artists on the radio — but we found it works quite well. The W902 Walkman phone also includes A2DP Bluetooth and an FM radio, along with Shake It! and SensMe technologies. Shake It! allows you to skip tracks by simply shaking the phone, while SensMe allows you to create a playlist based entirely on mood and tempo.
The Sony Ericsson W902 is a HSDPA capable mobile phone and also features Bluetooth and USB connectivity (via the proprietary USB cable), but there is no Wi-Fi. The phone comes with just 25MB of internal memory, but the included 8GB Memory Stick Micro (M2) should be enough to satisfy most users.
Other features of the W902 Walkman phone include a 5-megapixel camera with LED flash, a video player and some of Sony Ericsson's proprietary applications such as VideoDJ, PhotoDJ and Music DJ. A front mounted VGA camera means you can make video calls over a 3G network. There's also remote control and sound recording functions and a host of organiser features including calendar, tasks, notes, alarms, calculator, synchronisation, timer and stopwatch.
Vodafone offers the Sony Ericsson W902 for $0 on a $49 per month contract over 24 months. The plan includes three months of free access, $340 worth of standard calls and messages, and unlimited free weekend calls to any Vodafone mobile within Australia. For an extra $9.95 per month, Vodafone also offers 100MB of mobile data.
Join the newsletter!
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
cloudandco Smart Cane
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Apple iPhone X
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Toys for Boys
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Bose SoundLink Micro
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Xbox One X
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Fallout Geeki Tikis
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- 2 Acer Spin 5 review: Value for money but conditions apply
- 3 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 4 Sony LF-S50G review: Google Assistant and then some
- 5 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
Latest News Articles
- Europe moves to develop standard mobile phone chargers
- Michael Jackson's death knocks Google & Twitter offline
- Palm CEO: We don't have to beat each other to prosper
- RIM patches BlackBerry PDF vulnerability
- Big Profits from App Store? Maybe Not for Apple
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories
- CES 2018: Alcatel Embrace 18:9 Aspect Ratio In 2018
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCCloud Release & Deployment ArchitectACT
- CCSharePoint DeveloperACT
- CCWeb DeveloperACT
- FTTeradata Systems Engineer - Financial Services - Permanent - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCIteration Manager - TelcoVIC
- FTAutomation Tester/Technical Business AnalystOther
- CCApplication Security and Identity Management SpecialistACT
- CCDevOps EngineerQLD
- CCJunior to Mid-level DeveloperQLD
- TPAndroid DeveloperQLD
- FT.Net DeveloperACT
- FTTechnical Consultant - HP Service Manager 9VIC
- FTSenior Android DeveloperOther
- FTProject Control AnalystSA
- FTNetwork Engineering Team Lead/Network ManagerSA
- FTSenior Solution Architect - Data CentreACT
- FTPython DeveloperOther
- FTLead Java Developer- DevOpsOther
- FTCRM Business AnalystACT
- CCSenior MySQL Database Administrator - SydneyVIC
- CCMiddleware SpecialistNSW
- FT.NET Developers (Perm and Contract)WA
- FTWindows Messaging and MS Exchange LeadOther
- FTLead Business AnalystOther
- TPBusiness Process Improvement AnalystQLD