Sony Ericsson W910i
- HSDPA capable, design and build quality, large display, new multimedia interface, SensME and Shake it! technology
- Expensive, in-call volume could be louder, below average camera
The W910i is another excellent addition to the Walkman range, combining a well-crafted design with some new music features. It doesn't come cheap, but provided you don't require an exceptional camera, this handset is definitely another winner.
Price$ 999.00 (AUD)
The latest in Sony Ericsson's ever expanding range of Walkman phones, the W910i introduces a couple of nifty music features. SensME technology and 'Shake it!' should keep music lovers busy, while other features certainly haven't been overlooked -- the W910i boasts HSDPA connectivity, a large 2.4in display and an all-new multimedia menu.
The slider W910i is thin and smooth, and its construction feels very solid. A handy battery cover lock makes it easy to remove and despite the flat buttons, operation is intuitive and comfortable. A five-way navigation pad and selection buttons do the grunt of the work, while the keypad has small, soft buttons. They are a little close together, but despite this, messaging is comfortable and most should be able to generate decent speeds. The matte finish (available in either red or black) handles fingerprints surprisingly well.
For calls, the W910i has a reasonable voice quality, but volume could have been louder -- it is sometimes difficult to hear when there is background noise.
The Walkman and general media interface of this handset has been completely redesigned and is similar to the K850i. Conveniently, an accelerometer auto-rotates between portrait or landscape modes. You can access and edit photos, music, videos and adjust settings, and it uses a standard 3.5mm headphone jack, while the relatively large display is crisp and clear for watching video. For photos, X-Pict Story, an automatic slideshow created based on four moods, adds music and transitional effects with a single button press.
SensME technology, exclusive to the W910i, uses track metadata to create a playlist based on mood and tempo. Tracks are plotted on a visual graph and matched to sad and happy emotions and fast and slow tempos. SensME allows you to create playlists based on these choices, though to use these functions you'll have to upload your music using the included Walkman software. The W910i also allows you to skip tracks with the flick of your wrist using 'Shake it!'; simply hold down the Walkman button and flick your wrist left for the previous track and right for the next track. The location and small size of the Walkman button doesn't help in this regard though.
The W910i also offers access to PlayNow, a music download service, and Track ID. PlayNow lets you listen to samples and then download tracks to your phone or PC, while TrackID allows you to record a few seconds of any song you wish and the title, album and artist name are sent back to you. It then allows you to download the full track if it is available.
A 2-megapixel camera with 2.5x digital zoom is included, but it quality is poor with no auto focus or flash. There is also video recording, but this suffers from the same issues as still photography. If you're looking for a great camera phone, we'd advise to look elsewhere.
SMS, MMS and e-mail messaging -- all with T9 predictive text input, an FM radio, voice recorder, Java games as well as Bluetooth with A2DP and USB connectivity are all included. 35MB of internal memory comes standard, but a 1GB M2 card is included.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Huawei Y5 (2017): Full, in depth review
- 3 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 4 First Look: Nikon D850
- 5 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Huawei go big on AI, announce Mate 10 + Mate 10 Pro
- Huawei's flagship tech trickles down to mid-tier with new Nova 2i smartphone
- Incipio Adds Pixel 2 Cases To Roster
- Survey: 20% of Aussie Apple users wouldn't switch to Android for a million dollars
- Tech21 Announces New Phone Protection For Google Pixel 2 and Google Pixel 2 XL
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- TPSenior Business Analyst - Vehicle Fleet ManagementQLD
- FTOperations Orchestration SpecialistOther
- CCMid-Level Oracle SQL DeveloperWA
- FTHelpdesk AnalystOther
- TPJava DeveloperWA
- CCEnvironment Support Analyst with .NetQLD
- CCTraining and Support LeadNSW
- FTTeam Lead, Asset Mgmt & OperationsOther
- FTSenior Salesforce DeveloperOther
- FTPresales Security Solutions ArchitectVIC
- FTDomain ArchitectOther
- FTProgram Director - TelecommunicationsOther
- CCData AnalystNSW
- FTProduct Manager (IT Clinical Systems) - Permanent - Syd, Melb or BrisbNSW
- TPSenior Project Manager (CRIM)VIC
- TPTechnical Business AnalystQLD
- FTService desk supportACT
- CCSenior Technical Business Analyst - IntegrationNSW
- FTLean Agile CoachOther
- FTSCRUM Master, Digital Transformation, CXOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Superannuation/WealthOther
- TPApplication Packaging & Support ConsultantVIC
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperOther
- FTSOA/OSB Integration ConsultantOther
- CCProject SchedulerWA