Sony Ericsson Z310i
- Design, external display, light effects and icon indicators
- In-call quality could be improved, no included USB cable, no 3.5mm headphone jack, no memory expansion slot, poor display
The Z310i is a solid, if not remarkable phone. If you are on a budget, it may be worth a look but the lack of memory and a poor display diminish its appeal.
Price$ 249.00 (AUD)
The Sony Ericsson Z310i is an entry level handset that features a compact, stylish design together with some funky light effects, handy notification icons and an external display, which becomes camouflaged when not in use.
We were a little disappointed with the in-call quality of the Z310i. Conversations sound a little distant and aren't crisp. Volume is more than adequate, but the overall performance of the Z310i for voice calls is a little disappointing. Thankfully, the hands-free speakerphone works well, although it struggles noisy situations, such as when in a car due to wind noise. The Z310 includes basic phone features such as a 1000-entry phone book and polyphonic ring tones.
The Z310i has Bluetooth, infrared and USB connectivity, so it's well served in this department despite the low price tag. Unfortunately there is no included USB cable in the sales package, and no PC Suite software disc is included in the sales package. Instead, users will have to download this, free from the Sony Ericsson website.
PIM functions are available in the form of a calendar, note taker, stopwatch, calculator and alarm clock. Although the Z310i isn't a Walkman branded phone, access is provided to Sony Ericsson's PlayNow service, an iTunes-like MP3 store. Music can be downloaded directly to the phone in either MP3 or AAC format. Unfortunately the Z310i doesn't have a 3.5mm headphone jack, so you'll need to listen to tunes using a pair of proprietary headphones, or purchase an adapter (neither is supplied). Further, there is only 14MB of internal memory and no memory expansion slot.
Reflecting this model's price tag, the Z310i only comes with a VGA camera that shoots at a resolution of 640 x 480. However, it does include a host of features, such as black and white, sepia, and negative effects, as well as a night mode. None of these are enough to improve the poor quality of the pictures, but the camera is enough for a few light-hearted happy snaps. The Z310i also includes SMS, MMS and email messaging with T9 predictive text input, while other features include WAP 2.0, a sound recorder, and Java support.
The clamshell Z310i is sleek and stylish, thanks to a "jetset black" finish with a white trim. The front of the handset has a glossy, almost mirror like surface that hides a monochrome external display. The display camouflages into the design of the Z310i when not in use, but appears white when activated. Conveniently, the Z310i uses a row of icon indicators above the screen; an arrow for missed calls, a letter for new messages, a lightning bolt for charging and a musical icon for silent mode. The Z310i also includes light effects, and users can also change themes at a specified time; day and night for example.
Flipped open, the Z310i's keypad is well spaced out and comfortable, and the backlight in between each key adds to the light effects. The buttons are easy to press and the spacing ensures that typing long messages or emails is quite comfortable. Controls consist of a five-way navigational pad, two selection buttons and dedicated keys for back, clear, shortcuts and power on/off, while a volume control is located on the left side. The Z310i has a 262k colour display with a resolution of 128 x 160 pixels. We felt the screen lacked the sharpness and crispness of most displays on other competing handsets, so it's not ideal for displaying photos or watching video.
Battery life is solid according to Sony Ericsson figures of up to seven hours talk time and 300 hours of standby time. We found it necessary to charge the unit every two or three nights, depending on usage patterns.
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
cloudandco Smart Cane
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Apple iPhone X
Toys for Boys
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Bose SoundLink Micro
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Xbox One X
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Belkin Introduces USB-C 3.1 Express Dock HD
- Porsche Design Huawei Mate 10 Will Come To Australia
- Boost Mobile Doubles Data Offering With New Summer Plans
- BlackBerry KEYone Black Launches in Australia
- HTC U11 Plus latest rumours: Release date, price and specs
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTSenior Test Analyst (VIC)Other
- FTDevOps Engineer - Supply ChainOther
- FTTechnical Operations ManagerOther
- FTField ConsultantOther
- CCOracle CRM OD (On Demand) Consultant - Telecom IndustryVIC
- CCLSS BPMN Process Improvement AnalystVIC
- FTTest ManagerACT
- FTData Centre / Hosting Lead - $800 per dayOther
- FTSAP FI Functional SpecialistACT
- FTTechnical Business AnalystOther
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- CCTransition Manger - Infrastructure ServicesVIC
- FTSoftware Asset ManagerACT
- FTChange Facilitators / Change AnalystsOther
- TPContracting Specialist - Procurement AssociateNSW
- FTSenior Strategy Consultant - Blue Chip ClientOther
- CCPHP DeveloperQLD
- CCLean Six Sigma Process Improvement Specialist - MELBOURNEQLD
- FTEllipse DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Change Analyst, Governance & AssuranceOther
- FTJunior Infrastructure EngineerACT
- FTSenior Business Analyst - WealthOther
- FTMySQL Database Administrator- Meadowbank locationOther
- CCSenior Siebel DeveloperACT
- CCServiceNow ConsultantVIC