Bringing VR out of office and study spaces will serve to help it attract the new audiences it needs to continue growing
Great quality canalphones that you can pick up for loose change.
- Very cheap, bass response adjustment dial, replaceable earphone tips, good sound quality
- Hard to keep clean, bass isn't very punchy, noise isolation could be better
Despite the low price tag, the sound quality of these headphones will satisfy all but the most discerning of listeners. They are a bargain.
Price$ 39.90 (AUD)
Sub-$100 in-ear headphones are often of poor quality but SoundMAGIC bucks the trend with the PL30 "professional earphones": a pair of comfortable canalphones that provide excellent sound quality at a bargain price.
SoundMAGIC provides a number of accessories with the headphones, including a cord clip, cord wrapper, zippered case and replaceable earphone tips. Seven pairs of tips are provided to provide optimal comfort for different ear shapes; there are six pairs of single flange tips of differing sizes, and a pair of bi-flange tips for better retention. The company doesn't supply any foam tips, which would have provided a better seal in the ear and consequently better noise isolation, but the range of choice offered to buyers is good.
If these headphones suffer anywhere as a result of their cheap price, it is in their design. There aren't many attractive canalphones on the market — this pair is no exception, and their matte white plastic will be hard to keep clean.
They are quite discreet when worn, though an unwieldy bass adjustment dial on each earphone is somewhat noticeable.
The biggest surprise is the level of comfort they provide. Finding comfortable canalphones can be an arduous task, but the PL30s provided a surprising level of comfort. They remain comfortable even when worn for extended periods.
Like any set of canalphones they provide a reasonable amount of passive noise cancellation. A greater amount ambient noise can be heard in comparison to more expensive canalphones such as Ultimate Ears' Super.Fi 5vi, however.
Users can choose between two different bass settings: clear bass and deep bass. The dials require some effort to turn — fingernails will be required — and cannot be shifted while the earphones are in use. The difference in sound is noticeable. Those who prefer dance music or r'n'b will appreciate the heavier bass setting, though it tends to drown out other frequencies.
Don't expect the same level of sound quality you would hear from premium canalphones, but these headphones are competitive with pairs in the $100+ range. They produce a soundstage that is surprisingly balanced, if a little light on bass. We found the sound to be very clear overall, slightly accentuated by a warm mid-range which complements classical and acoustic music very well. Higher frequencies are apparent without being too shrill but are slightly outweighed by the lower mid-range frequencies.
Bass frequencies are comparatively lacking when using the clear setting on the bass response adjustment dial. This particularly affects lower frequencies found in bass-heavy music like dance, but it can also have some effect on bass guitar in rock music. Bass frequencies are not totally lost, but they definitely take a back seat to mid-range and higher frequencies; this is uncommon for canalphones.
Though the SoundMAGIC PL30 in-ear headphones don't provide professional-level quality, they do offer excellent sound at a bargain price.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 ASUS FX503 review: An ROG Notebook By Any Other Name
- 2 HP Envy x360 (Ryzen 5) review: Power over portability
- 3 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 4 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 5 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
Latest News Articles
- Jaybird celebrate Earth Day with special edition Jaybird RUN earbuds
- Jabra launches engage Business headset range
- Google finally bring the Pixel Buds to Australia
- Bose announce local availability and pricing for SoundSport Free true wireless earbuds
- Jabra confirm ANZ pricing and availability for Evolve 75e headphones
PCW Evaluation Team
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
- Picture Perfect: OPPO prepare their boldest smartphone yet
- Gigabyte AERO 15: Full, in-depth review
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- TPWeb DeveloperQLD
- CCPerformance AnalystNSW
- TPChange and Communication ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Salesforce DeveloperOther
- FTPrincipal Solutions Architect - Big Data and AnalyticsOther
- FTLead/Senior DevOps EngineerOther
- TPSenior C++ DeveloperNSW
- CCOffice365 SpecialistNSW
- CCNetwork Engineer (Cisco)NSW
- TPLevel 1 HelpdeskQLD
- FTSenior UX Digital Developer, Digital Design DevelopmentOther
- FTRPA DeveloperOther
- CCFront End Developer, North Sydney, UI knowledge, ReactJS, Adobe ManagementNSW
- FTData AnalystOther
- CCSystem Infrastructure EngineerNSW
- FTGreenfield Implementation SAP IS-U DM | SAP IS-U DM | SAP ECOther
- FTLead DevOps EngineerNSW
- TP.Net Developer - Senior Full StackQLD
- TPEnterprise Architect | QLD Health | $1173/day | BrisbaneNSW
- FTJunior-Mid Level Technical Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- FT.Net DeveloperACT
- CCBusiness Analyst (Junior - Mid Level)NSW
- FTData Insights Consultant - CBD work locationOther
- CCInteraction DesignerNSW
- TPChange Lead | UtilitiesQLD