Spatial View Inc. 3DeeCamera iPhone app
"3D" comes to the iPhone courtesy of the Wazabee 3DeeShell and 3DeeCamera app, but the results aren't fantastic.
- "3D" effect is a cool party trick
- Bulky case, 3DeeLens can scratch iPhone screen, no way to manipulate both images, expensive
Though 3DeeCamera seems like a cheap and fun iPhone app, the added cost of the 3DeeShell and the disappointing results didn't impress us.
Price$ 1.19 (AUD)
It may seem like a gimmicky relic from 1950s cinemas, but these days everything from IMAX cinema to Samsung and Sony high-definition TVs are implementing 3D technology. Apple's iPhone is joining the trend thanks to Spatial View's Wazabee 3DeeShell and its 3DeeCamera app. Although there is plenty of potential, the results are disappointing.
The Wazabee 3DeeShell is a hard case for the iPhone 3G. It provides a small slot in front of the iPhone screen that you can insert the proprietary 3DeeLens into. The 3DeeLens is highly abrasive on the side facing the iPhone and given the tight fit of the case, it can easily scratch the mobile phone's screen. An anti-glare protective layer is included, but this also becomes easily scratched and will probably need to be replaced regularly to get the best image. You can't use the majority of the iPhone's screen when the 3DeeLens is inserted, so you will have to continually insert and remove it.
Using the 3DeeCamera app itself is rather simple. The 3DeeLens covers 75 per cent of the iPhone's screen and the bottom navigation bar in 3DeeCamera has been designed so that it resides in the uncovered portion of the handset's display. This means you can use most functions without having to remove the 3DeeLens, though choosing photos from a photo library will require you to have full access to the iPhone screen.
3DeeCamera works by combining two images and interpolating them to create a semi-3D representation of the two. The images can be taking with the iPhone's camera or retrieved from the photo album. We found the app worked best when using two similar images from slightly different perspectives. When viewed through the 3DeeLens, the combined images are reminiscent of the fake "3D" effect on some Pokemon cards or Tazos rather than true 3D. Images certainly won't pop out at you as the "3D" moniker might suggest.
The app automatically aligns the two images to achieve the best results, but if you aren't happy with this then there are limited manual editing options available. Unfortunately, the app only allows the last imported image to be edited rather than both of the pictures. 3DeeCamera can also present the images in "anaglyph" mode (showing them in inverted colours) for easier editing.
3DeeCamera's low price tag is certainly appealing for a quick look by any adventurous iPhone user but beware that you will need to purchase the 3DeeShell separately at a cost of $US49.99. It may be a cool party trick, but it's likely to become a discarded toy quite quickly.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 HTC U11 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Gigabyte Aero 15 corporate gaming laptop review
- 3 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 4 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft apologizes after a rogue Windows 10 preview build causes chaos
- Skype's major redesign prioritizes helpful bots and a smart camera over traditional video chats
- All-electric satellites are ushering in zippier in-flight internet access
- Why Microsoft's ARM-based Windows 10 laptops still have a lot to prove
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- MSI GL62M 7RDX gaming laptop review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSenior Analyst Programmer - Equities or DerivativesOther
- CCSenior Application SupportVIC
- FTAutomation Test AnalystWA
- CCAPI Platform EngineerNSW
- FTTech LeadOther
- FTProject CoordinatorOther
- FTService Desk AnalystACT
- FTEnterprise and Solution ArchitectQLD
- CCIT Service Desk SupportSA
- CCWeb Applications SupportQLD
- FTImplementation Consultant - SMSF SoftwareOther
- FTService Delivery Manager - Telecommunications InfrastructureOther
- FTFull Stack DeveloperQLD
- FTTechnical Lead Front-endNSW
- FTEmail Marketing Specialist/ Campaign SpecialistOther
- CCEUS Junior Application Project ManagerNSW
- CCJunior Network Designer - Telco - GISVIC
- CCSenior Master Data AnalystNSW
- FTMobile App DeveloperOther
- FTService Implementation Manager BIMOther
- FTDigital DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Contracts Administrator- Construction BackgroundOther
- TPProject OfficerQLD
- FTPHP DeveloperQLD
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD