App review: Spotify for Windows Phone
Spotify for Windows Phone 8 is a simple, well designed app
- Clean design
- Follows Windows Phone 8 UI
- Active live tile
- No radio option available
- No option to change background
- Some bugs
The debut of Spotify on Microsoft's Windows Phone 8 platform is welcome news for Windows Phone owners. It's a simple and well designed app but the lack of radio is a downside.
Our biggest criticism of Microsoft's Windows Phone 8 platform is the lack of third party apps available, but one of the most widely requested has just been released. Spotify for Windows Phone 8 is a simple, well designed app that provides access to all your music playlists.
The Spotify app predictably follows the standard Windows Phone 8 interface theme. Large, clean fonts are set against a light background, though unlike the Windows Phone 8 UI itself, there's no option to change this to a darker background.
The live tile that comes with the app is a nice touch and it can be resized to small, medium and large. When set to medium and large sizes, the tile flips and displays current album art for any tracks you are currently playing.
The main menu of Spotify for Windows Phone displays a search box and allows one touch access to your playlists, any play queues, your friends list and settings. The latter is a standard affair — you can choose to access the app in offline only mode, stream or sync in high quality and set whether you want to be able to stream over a 3G/4G network.
Swiping from the right of the main menu scrolls through the 'What's new' menu, which shows a selection of new tracks or albums that have been added to the Spotify service. Tapping on the album art icon will take you into that album or track and you can add these to a playlist or share them via Facebook, SMS or email. One notable absence is the radio function, which allows premium subscribers to listen to music that's selected based on similar tastes.
Overall, we found the Spotify app smooth and functional throughout testing, though it crashed a few times during use. This occurred more than once when we were attempting to download tracks to our phone. Annoyingly, the app needs to remain open when downloading tracks to your phone, so this process can't be completed in the background.
Developer: Spotify AB
Requirements: Windows Phone 8
Reviewed on: HTC Windows Phone 8S
Join the newsletter!
We have 4 to give away so jump in!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
- 5 LG V30+ Review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
Latest News Articles
- Samsung Partners With Commonwealth Bank
- Group Video Calls Just Got a Lot Easier on Facebook
- Clips Introduces Selfie Scenes for Immersive 360-Degree Selfies on iPhone X
- Netgear delivers industry first networking devices with remote management from anywhere in the world
- Samsung and Latitude Financial Services Partner to Bring Samsung Pay to More Australians
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Sony a7R Mk III review: The strongest case yet for ditching your DSLR
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Oppo R11s: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCFull Stack Java DeveloperVIC
- CCPortfolio / Project Coordinator - BrisbaneVIC
- FTCyber Security AnalystOther
- FTFront End DeveloperOther
- CCUI iOS & Android DeveloperVIC
- TPNetwork EngineerQLD
- FTGraduate Project CoordinatorACT
- CCApplications Packaging EngineerWA
- CCProject Manager - Multiple Roles - TelcoVIC
- CCProject Manager - Security/Cyber Security - CanberraNSW
- FTData Migration Lead- ECS.106, ETL & SAPOther
- CCCyber Security Business AnalystNSW
- FTDigital Developer - Back endVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst OR Data ModellerNSW
- FTHR Business PartnerOther
- CCKnowledge Analyst (Digital Content)NSW
- FTMultiple Angular ExpertACT
- TPBusiness Analyst/Project ManagerQLD
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSAP IS-U and SAP EWM Greenfield implemenationVIC
- FTPython DeveloperOther
- FT.Net Developer - Syspro experience mandatoryOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - InfrastructureVIC