App review: Spotify for Windows Phone
Spotify for Windows Phone 8 is a simple, well designed app
- Clean design
- Follows Windows Phone 8 UI
- Active live tile
- No radio option available
- No option to change background
- Some bugs
The debut of Spotify on Microsoft's Windows Phone 8 platform is welcome news for Windows Phone owners. It's a simple and well designed app but the lack of radio is a downside.
Our biggest criticism of Microsoft's Windows Phone 8 platform is the lack of third party apps available, but one of the most widely requested has just been released. Spotify for Windows Phone 8 is a simple, well designed app that provides access to all your music playlists.
The Spotify app predictably follows the standard Windows Phone 8 interface theme. Large, clean fonts are set against a light background, though unlike the Windows Phone 8 UI itself, there's no option to change this to a darker background.
The live tile that comes with the app is a nice touch and it can be resized to small, medium and large. When set to medium and large sizes, the tile flips and displays current album art for any tracks you are currently playing.
The main menu of Spotify for Windows Phone displays a search box and allows one touch access to your playlists, any play queues, your friends list and settings. The latter is a standard affair — you can choose to access the app in offline only mode, stream or sync in high quality and set whether you want to be able to stream over a 3G/4G network.
Swiping from the right of the main menu scrolls through the 'What's new' menu, which shows a selection of new tracks or albums that have been added to the Spotify service. Tapping on the album art icon will take you into that album or track and you can add these to a playlist or share them via Facebook, SMS or email. One notable absence is the radio function, which allows premium subscribers to listen to music that's selected based on similar tastes.
Overall, we found the Spotify app smooth and functional throughout testing, though it crashed a few times during use. This occurred more than once when we were attempting to download tracks to our phone. Annoyingly, the app needs to remain open when downloading tracks to your phone, so this process can't be completed in the background.
Developer: Spotify AB
Requirements: Windows Phone 8
Reviewed on: HTC Windows Phone 8S
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Huawei Y5 (2017): Full, in depth review
- 3 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 4 First Look: Nikon D850
- 5 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung and Latitude Financial Services Partner to Bring Samsung Pay to More Australians
- NAB go in on Google Assistant integration with new app
- Trend Micro launches new Home Network Scanner
- ASUSTOR and Seagate Technology Bring IronWolf Health Management to ASUSTOR NAS
- Gboard update brings text selection mode and resizing to Android keyboard app
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTSenior Environment or Platform level Environment ManagersVIC
- TPBusiness Analyst | Utilities | Multiple PositionsQLD
- CCTraining and Support LeadNSW
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist - Senior roleOther
- FTOracle WebLogic Administrator- Banking backgroundOther
- FTSenior Software Engineer | Data Feeds | AI & AutomationOther
- CCChange SpecialistQLD
- FTMiddleware System AdministratorACT
- FTService Desk Technical LeadOther
- FTHelpdesk / Support AnalystOther
- FTFront-End Developer - BankingVIC
- FTWeb Developer (UX Design / Siebel Open UI / CSS)NSW
- CCIT Project CoordinatorVIC
- FTProject ManagerOther
- FTSenior Business ArchitectOther
- CCWindows 10 Deployment TechnicianWA
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperOther
- CCTest Analyst - Intermediate LevelNSW
- TPSoftware DeveloperSA
- FTBusiness AnalystACT
- FTMerchandise Floor PlannerOther
- TPAngular DeveloperNSW
- CCOracle Identity & Access Management AdministratorNSW
- FTField EngineerOther
- FTArchsight Delivery ConsultantACT