App review: Spotify for Windows Phone
Spotify for Windows Phone 8 is a simple, well designed app
- Clean design
- Follows Windows Phone 8 UI
- Active live tile
- No radio option available
- No option to change background
- Some bugs
The debut of Spotify on Microsoft's Windows Phone 8 platform is welcome news for Windows Phone owners. It's a simple and well designed app but the lack of radio is a downside.
Our biggest criticism of Microsoft's Windows Phone 8 platform is the lack of third party apps available, but one of the most widely requested has just been released. Spotify for Windows Phone 8 is a simple, well designed app that provides access to all your music playlists.
The Spotify app predictably follows the standard Windows Phone 8 interface theme. Large, clean fonts are set against a light background, though unlike the Windows Phone 8 UI itself, there's no option to change this to a darker background.
The live tile that comes with the app is a nice touch and it can be resized to small, medium and large. When set to medium and large sizes, the tile flips and displays current album art for any tracks you are currently playing.
The main menu of Spotify for Windows Phone displays a search box and allows one touch access to your playlists, any play queues, your friends list and settings. The latter is a standard affair — you can choose to access the app in offline only mode, stream or sync in high quality and set whether you want to be able to stream over a 3G/4G network.
Swiping from the right of the main menu scrolls through the 'What's new' menu, which shows a selection of new tracks or albums that have been added to the Spotify service. Tapping on the album art icon will take you into that album or track and you can add these to a playlist or share them via Facebook, SMS or email. One notable absence is the radio function, which allows premium subscribers to listen to music that's selected based on similar tastes.
Overall, we found the Spotify app smooth and functional throughout testing, though it crashed a few times during use. This occurred more than once when we were attempting to download tracks to our phone. Annoyingly, the app needs to remain open when downloading tracks to your phone, so this process can't be completed in the background.
Developer: Spotify AB
Requirements: Windows Phone 8
Reviewed on: HTC Windows Phone 8S
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
Latest News Articles
- Trend Micro launches new Home Network Scanner
- ASUSTOR and Seagate Technology Bring IronWolf Health Management to ASUSTOR NAS
- Gboard update brings text selection mode and resizing to Android keyboard app
- Google might be gearing up to remove millions of Play Store apps next month
- WhatsApp finally launches video calling
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- First Look: ASUS Newest Notebooks
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTDeployment Project CoordinatorOther
- CCData and Analytics ManagerACT
- FTLead Business Analyst - Logistics and Supply ChainOther
- FTSenior Technical Business Analyst/BSAOther
- TPSAP Process ControlQLD
- FTProcess Specialist x 2Other
- FTService Delivery Coordinator - $61 p/hrOther
- FTSenior Technical Business Analyst/BSAOther
- FTSenior DevOps ConsultantVIC
- FTBusiness Transformation ConsultantOther
- FTSenior DevOps Engineer | Leading SaaS Product CompanyOther
- FTDevOps Engineers/Consultants - CloudOther
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTSecurity ArchitectOther
- FTeCommerce Integration Support DeveloperVIC
- FTMulesoft Integration DeveloperOther
- FTMid Level Business Intelligence Analyst - Power BIOther
- FTSenior Software EngineerOther
- FTSenior Security ConsultantNSW
- FTInfrastructure/ Hybrid Cloud Architect - Government OrganisationVIC
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics CRM DeveloperOther
- FT.NET DeveloperWA
- CCPenetration TesterQLD
- FTDigital Marketing ExecutiveOther