Square Enix Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria
You won't need to pawn your internal organs to get a good roleplaying experience.
- Story, depth to combat
- Long-winded cut-scenes
Not everyone's going to love the transplanted platform puzzler elements, and RPG purists might be turned off by the wafer-thin town exploration, but just discovering the way your different options fit together is so endlessly absorbing that even wildly divergent tastes will agree that Valkyrie Profile 2 is yummy indeed.
Price$ 29.95 (AUD)
The PlayStation 2 has always been a haven for RPG lovers, and though the release of the system's successor is imminent, new entries like Valkyrie Profile 2 remind that you won't need to pawn your internal organs to get a good roleplaying experience.
Norse of a Different Color
Like the other titles in the franchise, Valkyrie Profile 2 is steeped heavily in Norse mythology. The titular character Silmeria is imprisoned in the body of Princess Alicia, but the rebellious Valkyrie refuses to remain dormant, and Odin sends Hrist to retrieve her. The story is littered with secrets and betrayals and will easily hold your attention.
Unfortunately, the game's innumerable cut-scenes, though admittedly nice to look at, are long-winded and filled with awkward dialogue sequences, a likely by-product of the translation process. The frequency and duration of the cinematic interludes can also sidetrack players from the action. Thankfully, the actual gameplay makes up for the story-telling deficiencies.
The basic mechanics of fighting are simple, with only one attack button for each character, but interesting additions lend a considerable degree of depth to what could have otherwise been a mindless button mashing exercise. Every group of baddies has a leader, indicated on the overhead radar, and killing him automatically wins the conflict.
Walls and other bits of scenery can crumble, revealing enemy reinforcements at inopportune moments. Your squad of four can be broken up into flanking groups to distract and destroy stronger opponents, and some weapons possess devastating special attacks.
Even just preparing for battle can take some thought, since equipment is assigned a colour type and rune, and linking pieces together enhances performance and unlocks new skills. Most of the challenging fights are against bosses, but working to get the most from your available goodies is surprisingly alluring, given that there is a ton of potential to unlock hidden power. Even merchants get friendlier the more work you throw their way, eventually crafting otherwise useless items into powerful gear.
There's plenty more for you to discover, from sealstones that hold sway over parties and environments alike, to powerful spirits that can be levelled and equipped like normal party members, or "freed" to leave behind stat-enhancing crystals.
Join the newsletter!
Apple iPhone X
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
cloudandco Smart Cane
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Toys for Boys
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Bose SoundLink Micro
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Xbox One X
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Acer attempts to woo Australian gamers with reveal of its new Predator range
- Nintendo Switch software update: What does 4.0.0 feature and how to install it?
- Robot House announce vacuum-bot adventure game ahead of PAX Australia
- Wargaming launches ANZ servers for World of Tanks
- VR fairytale game Luna due for Oct 17 release
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- The Best Australian Black Friday Tech Deals That Aren't On Amazon
- Wolfenstein The New Colossus Review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCSenior Test Engineer - Insurance domainVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectOther
- FTService Desk Analyst/Telecommunications Service AnalystOther
- FTTechnical Business Analyst / Application Support AnalystOther
- CCRelease ManagerACT
- TPService Delivery ManagerACT
- CCLinux AdministratorNSW
- FTSoftware DeveloperOther
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCWintel EngineerWA
- FTHR Business PartnerOther
- CCMid - Level SAP Test Analyst (Brisbane)NSW
- FTSenior Systems Engineer (WINTEL)ACT
- FTJava Developer (API Development)Other
- TPProject OfficerVIC
- TPProject Manager - IT SecurityQLD
- CCDesktop Engineer - MULTIPLE ROLESQLD
- FTSnr Information Security Consultant - IT Services - North Ryde areaNSW
- CCDevelopers ? Multiple opportunities (Brisbane)NSW
- FTSenior DevOps LeadVIC
- FTField ConsultantOther
- FTProject Manager - Develop Strategy. Need RISI card, Rail bckgrdOther
- TPAutomation EngineerQLD
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTDigital Marketing ExecutiveOther