As more and more of everyday life becomes predicated on our connection to the digital world, the chances we will be targeted or vulnerable to cyber-attacks has also risen
Strong Technologies SRT5390
- Ease of operation
- Lack of USB port
This SRT5390 provides excellent digital TV reception and adequate recording, timeshifting and playback functions. It lacks a USB port for transferring recorded programs to a PC.
Price$ 479.00 (AUD)
With a 120GB hard drive in its belly, the Strong SRT5390 can record and store close to 60 hours of very good quality MPEG-2 video.
Getting started with this unit is a matter of connecting your antenna cable to the set-top box, and then connecting the antenna output to your TV. Then you simply turn the unit on and tune your TV so that it finds the signal coming from the set-top box.
It didn't take long at all for our TV to find the Strong unit, and in our tests it performed splendidly. It tuned into all of the available digital free-to-air channels in a very short amount of time and displayed them flawlessly. Indeed, we were watching TV within 15 minutes of opening the box (even though there was nothing on worth watching at 1pm). It also detected the HD channels that were available, even though it isn't able to view these channels. We were able to edit these out of our favourite channels list very easily.
Its on-screen menu system is logical and well laid-out, but it does take some time to get used to some of its functions, especially when playing back programs.
You can also use the Strong unit to timeshift live TV programs, as long as you start recording them beforehand. That means if you want to sit back and enjoy the footy without interruptions, you should hit the record button just prior to kick-off. That way, if someone knocks on you door or calls during the middle of the game to recommend you change phone carriers, you can just hit the pause button and ensure that you don't miss a second of the action.
Recorded programs can also be split and even marked with skip points (up to 10), so you can cut out parts of a recording you don't want to watch. This unit also allows you to record a program and play one back at the same time.
This unit is lacks a USB port for transferring recorded programs to your PC for archiving. It has a range of other output ports--SCART, composite, RF and S-Video output as well as coaxial digital and optical digital audio output.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R15 Pro review: A compelling mid-tier option with lots of value and few compromises
- 2 Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 review: A budget phablet that swings above its weight
- 3 LG E8 OLED TV (2018) and SK10Y soundbar review: If you've been on the fence about OLED, now might be the time to jump it
- 4 Nokia 7 Plus review: Predictable and plus-sized
- 5 Huawei P20 Pro review: See it and believe the hype
Latest News Articles
- Airplay 2 available on Sonos
- Optoma Launches Home Theatre Series
- Federal court upholds LG verdict over misleading representations
- Voice Assistant use to grow 1000% to reach 275 million by 2023, Juniper says
- Nvidia to bring Shield TV to Australian market
PCW Evaluation Team
I need power and lots of it. As a Front End Web developer anything less just won’t cut it which is why the MSI GT75 is an outstanding laptop for me. It’s a sleek and futuristic looking, high quality, beast that has a touch of sci-fi flare about it.
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
- Amazon Prime Day 2018
- Oppo R15 Pro review: A compelling mid-tier option with lots of value and few compromises
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 review: A budget phablet that swings above its weight
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?