Studio Proper PA1 Bluetooth speaker (preview)
The Proper Audio PA1 is the world's first dual Bluetooth pairing wall mountable speaker system
- Mountable with Wallee mount
- Dual Bluetooth pairing for stereo
- Unibody aluminium design
- No wireless option, requires mains power
- No AirPlay connectivity
- Not available until April 2014
Australian company Studio Proper claims its PA1 is the world's first dual Bluetooth pairing wall mountable speaker system.
Studio Proper, the Australian brand behind the popular Wallee mounting system for smartphones and tablets, is dipping its hat into the Bluetooth audio ring. The company claims its Proper Audio PA1 is the world's first dual Bluetooth pairing wall mountable speaker system.
The PA1 claims to be an affordable, high quality home audio system but its big point of difference to the wealth of Bluetooth speakers already on the market is a flexible mounting system. The rear of each PA1 speaker contains Studio Proper's modular mounting system called Wallee, so the device can be used with a number of pre-existing, universal mount disks, including a range of wall and table stands.
Studio Proper says the PA1 can easily be moved from one Wallee mount to another with a 'turn and click' motion, but the speaker has primarily been designed to remain permanently installed. Unfortunately, options for wall mounting the speaker will be a little limited as the PA1 is wired and requires mains power. The company says opting for a wired design was a decision made to boost power and audio quality, claiming the wiring allows the PA1 to power larger drivers for better sound quality.
The power cable of the PA1 is positioned towards the back of the speaker, allowing it to be hidden directly through the wall cavity for users who wish to permanently install it in one location. The power cable port has also been designed to accept a right angled DC cable, though this will be sold as an optional accessory.
The PA1 speaker includes dual Bluetooth stereo pairing, also known as True Wireless Stereo. This will allow users to pair two PA1's together for true left and right channel stereo sound. Studio Proper says two speakers can be paired side-by-side or at opposing ends of the room, though they can't be placed more than 10 meters apart in this configuration.
The PA1 connects wirelessly to any Bluetooth enabled device. It will remember up to five devices and will automatically pair to a device in range, and the single power button on the back of the speaker also handles pairing. The PA1 is not compatible with Apple's AirPlay system, which allows users to stream music wirelessly from an iOS device. Studio Proper says it opted for Bluetooth over AirPlay "to keep the speaker OS agnostic, and to avoid Airplay licensing fees."
The PA1 speaker uses a three driver arrangement to provide full stereo sound, consisting of one 52mm tweeter and two 78mm, 20W stereo drivers. The speaker casing itself is made from machined aluminum unibody and has an anodized finish, while interchangeable, fabric covers will be available in black and white to match modern home decor.
The Studio Proper PA1 is expected to be available in Australia in April 2014, though the device is currently listed on crowdfunding platform Kickstarter.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- YouTube launches streaming TV service with 40 channels and unlimited cloud DVR storage
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTScrum Master - TechnicalNSW
- FTSenior System EngineerNSW
- CCInfrastructure ArchitectACT
- FTNetwork EngineerQLD
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- TPSenior Project Manager | DETQLD
- TPBusiness Analyst - Change and Process ImprovementQLD
- FTDigital Business Analyst | Online BookingQLD
- FTSCRUM Master, CX, Financial ServicesNSW
- FTSenior IT System Engineer Availability SpecialistACT
- FTFrontend DeveloperNSW
- FTProject Control Analyst - PMONSW
- FTBI BA Consultant l Microstrategy, Business ObjectsNSW
- FTSenior PHP Developer / Technical LeadQLD
- CCSenior Systems Engineer - WintelVIC
- FTIntegration and Implementation SpecialistVIC
- TPSenior .Net DeveloperSA
- FTLevel 2 Desktop Support - Microsoft Office 365 experienceNSW
- FTSenior Data Engineer | up to $92 p/hrVIC
- FTUAT CoordinatorQLD
- FTClient Onboarding ManagerNSW
- FTClient Onboarding ManagerNSW
- FTProgram SchedulerVIC
- FTBusiness Improvement ManagerNSW