Swann Communications PC DVR 4 Net Security Guardian
- Cheap, Offers great protection
- No encryption of video files
At this price point the package is quite a bargain when you consider that an IP camera solution will end up costing in excess of $1500. Our only concern relates to the security access issues.
Price$ 200.00 (AUD)
Multiple camera security surveillance over a network (using Internet Protocol) can be expensive to implement. Swann has created a surveillance solution that delivers exactly the same thing - multiple camera security - at a competitive price. This surveillance kit has two parts: a PCI card and four wired cameras. Both the PCI card and the camera bundle are sold separately, but they should be considered as complementary products that will provide a wide-ranging surveillance kit for a home or a small business environment.
The Swann PC DVR 4 NET Security Guardian is a PCI card that allows you to simultaneously record the footage from four security cameras - note the software is expandable to record up to 16 cameras, if your motherboard has the capacity for this. The card allows you to record audio as well as video, which it captures at a rate of 25fps (frames per second) in PAL mode, at a resolution of 352x288.
Installation is simple, and the software allows you to monitor your desired location in several different modes which are all easy to configure. The Security Guardian software allows you to adjust the motion sensitivity of your cameras. You can set the video capture so a limited amount of space is allocated to video footage, which will be continually rewritten over. Recording can be based on time or motion, and it is compressed into relatively small files; for example, in our tests, we recorded a double-speed, time-lapse 6 minute clip, at a resolution of 320x240, which created a 3.5MB file.
Security Guardian can also run as its own server, which means that you can log into it over the Internet and view your video streams remotely. However, to get this running you have to open the correct ports and disable many firewall and security settings. This can be done during the initial phase of installing Security Guardian's software and only needs to be done once. When configured properly, you will be able to use your ISP-given IP address (assuming you have a cable or ADSL connection) to log in to and view the cameras.
We do wish Security Guardian was a little more secure in the way it records footage onto your hard drive. As it stands, unencrypted .avi files are recorded into folders that are viewable and accessible to all who have physical access to your PC while it's running. We think encryption and password-protection for this footage is a standard feature that Swann should look to implement. This shouldn't be a concern for most people however, as any surveillance server should be locked away anyway.
Swann's CCTV Professional 4 Camera Pack includes two C-500R CCD cameras and two Bulldog Cam CCD Cameras. The Bulldog cameras are strong and small, recording in colour during high light periods and in infrared during the night.
The C-500R cameras have a 3.5-8mm lens with a manual iris and can capture at a resolution of 512x582, however this isn't fully utilised since the next highest resolution supported by the software is 640x480 with de-interlacing. The Bulldog cameras support a resolution of 500x582, and have 9 infrared LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes) that can create a clear picture in darkness up to about 10m. All cameras come with an ample amount of cabling.
Join the newsletter!
A printer that is efficient, reliable and can work seamlessly with your systems and software.Read this solicitor's review to find out more!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Zolo Liberty+ review: The true wireless earbuds you've been waiting for
- 5 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
Latest News Articles
- Netgear Launches the Arlo Go LTE Wire-Free Camera on Telstra’s Mobile Network
- D-Link Wins Prestigious iF Design Award 2018
- Reolink Launches a New 4G LTE Security Camera, Available in Australia
- Netgear announce local availability for smarter, sharper, Alexa-friendly Arlo Pro 2
- Netgear to spin off Arlo
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTData ModellerOther
- CCScrum Master - Online DigitalVIC
- CCSystem Engineer - TelcoVIC
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperWA
- FTDatabase AdministratorOther
- FTAPS5 Project OfficerACT
- TPBusiness AnalystsVIC
- CCSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTTechnical Quality Analyst (Payments, data, application integration)VIC
- FTSenior SharePoint DeveloperWA
- FTSolution Designer/Architect - Java IntegrationOther
- FTERP Technical Analyst - PeoplesoftOther
- FTField Services EngineerOther
- FTLead Agile BAOther
- TPFront End DeveloperWA
- FTSenior Project CoordinatorOther
- TPCloud DevOps EngineerNSW
- FTDigital DesignerOther
- FTService Asset & Configuration ManagerNSW
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- FTChange & Release ManagerOther
- CCProject Manager-SCADANSW
- FTService Management LeadOther
- FTBig Data ArchitectNSW