Symantec Norton Ghost 10
- Incremental, easy to use
- Can only take snapshots of entire drives
If you’re after a backup application that doubles as a system restorer, the new features help make Ghost 10 a worthwhile upgrade – even for existing users of version 9.
Price$ 129.95 (AUD)
Anyone that's ever lost data from a hardware failure knows how frustrating - and depressing - it can be to have to rebuild lost files, emails, tax information and contact lists from scratch. Though PC experts have banged on about it for years, backup is something that most users don't consider or perform regularly - until a hard disk crash. Though it has historically been positioned as a disk tool, Symantec's long-standing Norton Ghost product has been updated to do double duty and handle backup duties as well.
Ghost 10 functions under Windows and can perform a number of its tasks without rebooting. The box includes a copy of Ghost 2003, which was the last version to run natively under DOS, so legacy users aren't left out in the cold, either.
The user interface is top-notch, and the application presents a wizard to help guide you through creating a regular backup schedule. The program's pretty flexible, and you're free to choose network drives, optical media including CDROM or DVD, or either a secondary or external hard disk as a place to store the backups. The initial backup takes a while - around 15 minutes for 4GB of data - but from that point forward it's quick. Each subsequent backup adds to the previous one incrementally, so the software only modifies the files that have changed between backups. This greatly streamlines the backup process as it means you don't have to take separate snapshots each time. The application runs as a process on the taskbar, and does its job in the background while you're performing other tasks.
All the backup increments are added to the original archive, and AES 128-, 192-, and 256-bit encryption is fully supported to help protect sensitive data. Though it's of lesser concern for backups on secondary drives, it's a godsend for anyone storing data on a removable hard disk or optical media. A browser allows you to peruse the contents of older backups and restore individual files or folders as required.
Though the backup application is useful in its own right, the installation CD also ships with some other useful tools, including a Copy My Hard Drive feature for duplicating one drive onto another (handy for upgrading disks). Another elegant feature is the ability for the installation disc to double as a bootable recovery CD in case of serious error. The recovery interface closely mirrors Windows and it can be used to restore a backup and give you a functional system.
The only real limitation of the software is its inability to store individual files or folders as separate backups. It's designed as a drive imaging tool, and that's how it works - Ghost takes a snapshot of an entire disk partition and stores it for later. As a result, it demands a generous amount of storage space.
The limitation is a minor one, though, as there are myriad file-level backup applications on the market already. If you're after a backup application that doubles as a system restorer, the new features help make Ghost 10 a worthwhile upgrade - even for existing users of version 9.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft delves deeper into AI with new kit bag of tools
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCDBA / Database Services SME - Large Telco - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTSenior Network EngineerOther
- FTSenior Software Test AnalystOther
- CCSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTSystem AnalystSA
- CCIT Senior Business AnalystNSW
- FTHFC Capacity Planner | 6mth ContractOther
- CCData Analyst - Google Doc SMEVIC
- TPSenior Project Manager | Service Management I ITILQLD
- FTSolution Manager - SAPOther
- FTService Desk Analyst/Telecommunications Service AnalystOther
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperWA
- FTSolution ArchitectOther
- FTSenior Strategy Specialist - Direct / ConsumerOther
- CCJunior to mid-level - Business Analyst ? AgileVIC
- FTAccount Management/Customer Service - MULTIPLE ROLESSA
- TPPrincipal PO|PI DeveloperQLD
- FTWeb Developer - Drupal 7 or iApplyNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst / Advisor - Content & Collaboration - SharePointNSW
- FTJunior-Mid Level Java DeveloperQLD
- FTSystems ArchitectNSW
- FTIT Support & System AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior Salesforce DeveloperOther
- FTTableau DeveloperOther
- FTScrum MasterOther