Symantec Norton Internet Security 2005
This latest version of NIS sees it firmly stay amongst the leading pack in all-in-one security packages.
Price$ 149.95 (AUD)
As broadband uptake increases, so does the number of activities we use the Internet for. Instant messengers (IM), chat rooms, peer-to-peer networking, e-mail and Web browsing all come with varying degrees of annoyances, and risks to security and privacy.
That's why all-in-one internet protection packages, like Symantec's Norton Internet Security (NIS) suite are so popular.
The 2005 edition of NIS includes new versions of Norton AntiVirus and Norton Personal Firewall (each $99.95 separately), Norton AntiSpam ($79.95 separately), Norton Privacy Control and Norton Parental Control.
Installation took about five minutes (including pre-scan) and components are well integrated, with similar redesigned, easy-to-use interfaces. The simplified LiveUpdate automatically downloads updates (virus/worm definitions) for 12 months (renewable). Upon update receipt, NIS 2005 "QuickScans" for and removes active infections. The new Outbreak Alert utility also runs in the background to inform you of online threats and how to protect against them, and to remind you if you've accidentally turned off protection.
AntiVirus 2005's enhanced protection against viruses, worms and Trojans can remove them automatically, even scanning IM and e-mail attachments - although we would have liked even more focus on adware and spyware. Another new feature - Internet Worm Protection - supplements dedicated e-mail and firewall security by scanning inbound ports and targeting worms like Blaster and Code Red. Although the pop-up questions and establishing of rules won't be for everyone, this feature is welcomed.
Personal Firewall and Personal Privacy Control 2005 now work together to manage a list of trusted sites you can create (like banking sites or eBay) that you send private information to without constantly alerting you - convenient and useful to fight "phishing" (hoax site) scams. Personal Firewall uses customisable predefined rules for maximum inbound and outbound protection and can block banner and pop-up ads. AntiSpam 2005 now supports Yahoo! Web-mail and has easier "Allowed List" updating. Also updated are ad-blocking and spam/inappropriate e-mail filtering (Outlook, Outlook Express and Eudora).
In a similar vein, Norton Parental Controls includes tools for parents to block access to newsgroups and Web sites not suitable for children. We tested NIS 2005 on a Windows XP installation with the final release of Service Pack 2 (SP2) installed, and had no compatibility problems. SP2's Windows Security Center was aware of the Norton products, but couldn't determine their status due to Symantec's tamper-protection technology. While SP2 includes an improved firewall, it's strictly only for incoming protection and doesn't monitor the activity of programs already on your hard disk.
In all, although SP2 improves Windows' security, third-party programs and integrated suites such as NIS 2005 look set to be in demand for quite some time yet.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google WiFi review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Sony Xperia XZ Premium phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Blackberry KEYone phone: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Goodbye Google Now, hello new feed that obsessively track your interests
- How to deal with “Windows 10 is no longer supported on this PC” error
- Net Neutrality: The July 12 Internet-Wide Day of Action protest and what to expect
- Google Assistant: 5 killer new features you should be using
- Microsoft apologizes after a rogue Windows 10 preview build causes chaos
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Linksys Velop mesh WiFi review
- D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- Google WiFi review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCGIS ESRI DeveloperWA
- FTDeployment Analyst / Customer Service - Minchinbury NSWOther
- FTProgram Coordinator (Cloud & Office 365)Other
- FTIT Technical Support Executive - Level 1/2Other
- FTSenior Business ConsultantOther
- FTSenior System AnalystOther
- FTApplication SupportOther
- TPProject ManagerACT
- FTSAP Environment LeadQLD
- CCPalo Alto Network Security ExpertQLD
- CCCognos Lead / Cognos Developer - CANBERRA BASEDVIC
- FTCommercial Contracts ManagerOther
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTManual Test AnalystQLD
- FTCommercial / Contract ManagerOther
- CCJava webMethods DeveloperWA
- CCAsset Management specialistNSW
- CCBusiness Financial advisorNSW
- FTBizTalk Technical Lead - BRISBANEWA
- FTSenior Change | 6mths +Other
- FTSenior Data AnalystOther
- FTAccount ManagerOther
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- TPNetwork ManagerNSW