Synology DiskStation DS211+ NAS device
Synology's DiskStation DS211+ is a fast but pricey 2-bay NAS box that's loaded with features and useful software.
- Lots of features
The Synology DiskStation DS211+ is a fast NAS box with a vast array of features, but it's pricey, retailing for around $435.
Price$ 435.00 (AUD)
The two-bay Synology DiskStation DS211+ is as feature-packed as two-bay NAS enclosures come. Not only is the box fast, but its easy-to-use DiskStation Manager 3.1 software provides tons of Secure FTP and HTTP, a variety of media-serving features, rsync backup to other NAS boxes, iSCSI, video surveillance, and a whole lot more.
Although the unit itself is attractive, the Synology DiskStation DS211+'s drive bays have a slightly cheap feel. The pop-off faceplate that facilitates access to the drives is clever as well as handy, but the plastic trays and locking mechanisms seem a bit penny-pinching for a box this pricey. So does the lack of a second ethernet port for failover and increasing available bandwidth.
The company's DiskStation Manager 3.1 software offers an interface that is like running Linux within a Window. You can open, close, drag, and stack windows--all within your Web browser. The multiple views and windows make it much easier to get a handle on file operations and the contents of the Synology DiskStation DS211+ drive. And it's just plain cool.
I tested the Synology DiskStation DS211+ with both a 3TB and 2TB drive installed. The unit averaged approximately 44 MBps writing data to its drives, and about 62 MBps reading on my gigabit network. That's a good performance, but a tad slower writing than the Synology DS411slim, though 4MBps faster reading.
Join the newsletter!
Bitdefender’s best-in-class security solutions have been awarded Product of the Year.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Zolo Liberty+ review: The true wireless earbuds you've been waiting for
- 5 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
Latest News Articles
- Intel launches 800P Optane SSD
- Samsung Advances SATA Line-up with 860 PRO and 860 EVO Solid State Drives
- Synology Introduces FlashStation FS1018 and DiskStation DS218
- CES 2018: Crucial launches next generation MX500 SSD
- QNAP Releases QTS 4.3.4. Beta for x86-Based NAS
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTSolution Architect - DigitalVIC
- FTHadoop DeveloperSA
- CCFront End Developer, North Sydney, UI knowledge, ReactJS, Adobe ManagementNSW
- FTMurex DeveloperVIC
- FTBusiness Intelligence DeveloperNSW
- FTTechnical LeadQLD
- FTTechnical BA/Scrum MasterOther
- CCSenior ERP Project Manager QLD
- FTBig Data ArchitectOther
- FTSAP Test AnalystsACT
- FTContract Obligations Manager - Telco - 2 year Max Term - Nth SydneyNSW
- FTSAP IS-U and SAP EWM - Greenfield implementationVIC
- CCFull Stack Web DeveloperQLD
- CCReact DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Project ManagersACT
- CCIT Change ManagerWA
- FTC++/Python DeveloperVIC
- CCTechnical Project Manager - BankingVIC
- FTSoftware Technical WriterOther
- FTField Supervisor - Pit RemediationVIC
- TPDigital Project ManagerNSW
- CC.Net DeveloperSA
- FTOracle Database Exadata Engineers, Sydney CBD, 6 months contract,NSW
- FTProject Co-ordinatorNSW
- FTSecurity ManagerOther