Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6
- Exceptional bass even without a subwoofer, brilliant separation, great treble and mid-range
Made for the true audio enthusiast, Tannoy's Revolution Signature DC6 speakers don't come cheaply, but they offer absolutely phenomenal sound quality that has to be heard to be believed.
Price$ 2,499.00 (AUD)
So assuming you've scrolled down this page and read everything from top to bottom, instead of just skipping down to the really good bits you will have seen that the Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6 package contains a mere two stand-alone speakers and retails for nearly $3000. For many users the thought of paying such an extravagant sum for a relatively basic thing like an audio system may seem absurd, but these speakers aren't targeted at those users. Instead they are high performance machines designed for audiophiles who want the best and are willing to pay to get it.
The sound quality of the DC6 is nothing short of stunning; they are probably the best speakers we have had through the office at the time of writing. The price tag is similarly high, but you definitely get what you pay for.
What stood out most during our testing was the quality of the bass. Despite having no subwoofer connected, these speakers produced a soundscape rich in bass. It was powerful and extended deeply, without overshadowing any of the other elements of our tunes. It had fairly quick decay although the overall sound was still quite full.
The mid-range was similarly rich. It was less analytical than the Tannoy Revolution DC4 which we reviewed earlier, but it was still extremely detailed and reasonably close to neutral. Guitar strings had a somewhat gritty, metallic sound that really adds flavour to rock songs.
Meanwhile the high frequency range was incredible. The extension on treble notes was exceptional and while they became slightly shrill at times they were never harsh or fatiguing. The overall transition from bass to treble was liquid smooth with no noticeable humps or colouring of the sound.
Perhaps the best part of the DC6's audio was their phenomenal separation. Every tiny facet of the music, from snare drums to backing vocals and percussion instruments all sounded totally distinct from one another, yet flowed together smoothly. It is really amazing to listen to your favourite tracks on a system like this for the first time because you wind up discovering all these subtleties that are simply lost on most speakers and headphones.
Despite only using two speakers, this package produced an excellent soundstage. This was particularly evident in our classical music and epic heavy metal tests which were extremely immersive, seemingly hitting us from all angles at once.
As each speaker has two drivers they can be bi-wired if your receiver supports it, or single wired if not. There is also a fifth cable connection for a grounding lead which can also help improve sound quality if available on your amp.
Aesthetically the DC6 unit looks wonderful, with a subtle, dark wood-grain finish that will slip seamlessly into a modern home entertainment setup. The front is covered by a black speaker grill that is secured by magnets, meaning it is easy to remove and re-attach.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
Latest News Articles
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
- iPhone X, Apple Watch Series 3 and Apple TV 4K: Everything Announced At Today’s Apple Keynote
- Sony launches MUTEKI V90DW High Power Audio System
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- YouTube launches streaming TV service with 40 channels and unlimited cloud DVR storage
PCW Evaluation Team
- Huawei Y5 (2017) Review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTService Request ManagerSA
- FTChange ManagerOther
- TPSAP S/4HANA Implementation Project Manager - FMCGVIC
- FTSenior Java DeveloperQLD
- TPSolution Architect - Networks & SecurityQLD
- CCMultiple Hadoop Developers Canberra, Brisbane, Melbourne or AdelaideACT
- FTBusiness Analyst - PaymentsVIC
- FTDevelopers (VB.Net/C#.Net)SA
- CCAppian DeveloperVIC
- FTScheduler - CommunicationsOther
- CCProject SAP Asset CoordinatorNSW
- CCReporting Analyst - TelcoVIC
- CCJava / J2EE DeveloperVIC
- CCMean Stack Developers x4ACT
- FTTest Engineer - Telecom domainVIC
- FTDigital Program Manager - Web & eCommerceOther
- FTDigital DesignerOther
- CCSAP Application SecurityNSW
- TPSQL Developer/AnalystQLD
- FTLead Front End DeveloperOther
- FTNetwork EngineerACT
- FTTest Team LeadOther
- TPData AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Java EngineerNSW