Decent sound quality and portability at a low price
- Sweet highs, rich mid-range, folding design
- Poor bass, flat overall sound, weak soundstage
TDK's ST-100 headphones won't wow you with their audio quality, however for the price they offer a decent-sounding, portable alternative to your stock MP3 player ear buds.
Price$ 19.95 (AUD)
TDK's ST-100 headphones offer decent sound quality for a low price. With a portable design and reasonable audio quality, these entry-level headphones are a solid option for users looking to upgrade from their default MP3 player ear buds without spending a lot of money.
Sound quality is about what you'd expect for a pair of headphones at this price point, although the larger over-the-ear design gives the ST-100s a certain advantage over ear buds. They have a fairly rich mid-range, with good detail and a generally pleasing tone; acoustic music in particular sounded great. There was some minor distortion at times.
Treble notes were also fairly impressive, with a sweet sound and fairly good extension. However, the bass was disappointing. It sounded hollow and lacked any kind of punch or definition. It also didn't extend particularly low; this gave the music a fairly flat sound.
We were a little disappointed with the separation: there was little in the way of division between individual elements of the sound and everything tended to blend together a little. This also meant the soundstage was lacking, with a basic two-dimensional presentation that really didn't do anything to immerse you in the music.
While the mid-range had a nice tone, it wasn't particularly fun and the lack of any power in the bass meant most music lacked impact and energy. It is noteworthy that the listed frequency response for this model is only 100-18,000 Hz, which is a far cry from the 20-20,000 Hz you'll find on some better-sounding models.
The ST-100 headphones are quite small for an over-the-ear model. They have small pleather cups with a thin silver and black band. We found them comfortable for long listening sessions, although our ears did get a little warm.
One nifty thing about the design is that the cups can fold up, making these headphones ideal for taking on the road with you. Often you'll have to sacrifice sound quality for portability, but that is not the case here. The cups are also extendable so they can be easily adjusted if you don't like the fit.
Join the newsletter!
Toys for Boys
Get advanced, high-end features at an affordable price with this 4K PRO-UHD Epson EF-100 projector.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei FreeBuds 3 review: Tit for tat
- 2 Motorola Moto G8 Plus (2019) review: Insignificant Upgrade
- 3 Huawei Mate 30 Pro (2019) review: Too weird to thrive, too rare to buy
- 4 RealMe 5 (2019) review
- 5 RealMe XT (2019) review
Latest News Articles
- Those Bose Noise-Cancelling headphones you've always wanted are on sale
- Jabra's best noise-cancelling headphones are almost 40% off for Cyber Monday
- Apple products are cheaper on Cyber Monday through Amazon
- Jabra's second-best true wireless earbuds are less than $200
- Beats' Powerbeats Pro are discounted down to $261 for Black Friday
PCW Evaluation Team
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
As the Maserati or BMW of laptops, it would fit perfectly in the hands of a professional needing firepower under the hood, sophistication and class on the surface, and gaming prowess (sports mode if you will) in between.
The MSI PS63 is an amazing laptop and I would definitely consider buying one in the future.
This small mobile printer is exactly what I need for invoicing and other jobs such as sending fellow tradesman details or step-by-step instructions that I can easily print off from my phone or the Web.
Microsoft Office continues to make a student’s life that little bit easier by offering reliable, easy to use, time-saving functionality, while continuing to develop new features that further enhance what is already a formidable collection of applications
- iPhone 11 Pro review: Identical looks, superlative cameras
- Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Show Off
- The Best Australian Black Friday Tech Deals That Aren't On Amazon
- Everything you need to know about Smart TVs
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?