Tech21 Evo Xplorer
A rugged case for rugged people. Who have an iPhone 6.
- Keeps out water and dust
- Good impact protection
- Small size
- Muffled mic
- Parts can go missing
- Only available for iPhone 6 and 6S
Useful for those who need their iPhone to be rugged all the time. But not casual users.
Price$ 140.00 (AUD)
If you exist in an environment that contains dust, water or a higher-than-usual chance of impact damage then you’ll either need a special rugged phone or a rugged case to put your phone in.
Tech21’s Evo Xplorer is a two piece case that seals your iPhone (6 or 6S) inside and protects it against impact to 2m (IP68 rating). Note that while the raised bezel will protect the screen when dropping on a flat floor, the thin screen protector is unlikely to help much if it lands screen-first on a pointy rock or similar.
The screen protector is nonetheless responsive to touch (unlike others we've tested) so it’s not frustrating when swiping around screens and selecting icons.
There’s naturally a snug fit to the phone and putting the case on and taking it off is quite a chore, so don’t expect to be doing this regularly.
The buttons on the side are still operable – the 'silence switch' becomes a dial while the volume and power buttons are the same but are now quite hard to press.
At the bottom there’s a screw cap cover the headphones port. This can be removed and a separate adapter can be inserted to allow you to connect your headphones. Both the cover and adapter went missing very quickly for us unfortunately. While we know they’re buried in an office somewhere, it does go to show that if you’re using this in the field and misplace these small and fiddly items, much of the protection afforded by this case is suddenly rendered useless.
There’s a sturdy cover over the Lightening connector port too. It’s very solid and hard work to open and close though it should loosen up over time. This might also rule it out for kids who will struggle to open it at all without help.
However, this was the main issue. The cover really needs to be open to make a phone call otherwise the microphone is muffled. Our tester found that even with this slot open she was having to shout to make herself heard on regular phone calls and that this got annoying quickly.
Ultimately the case does what it says it does and will be boon for the certain demographics who need the protection, can live with regular, fiddly port openings, don’t mind shouting and who don't mind paying the massive price. For the regular consumer, the protection won't be worth the muffled microphone, fiddly port openings or the money.
Join the newsletter!
cloudandco Smart Cane
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Apple iPhone X
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Toys for Boys
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Bose SoundLink Micro
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Xbox One X
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- It's official: iOS 10 launches with huge improvements to iMessage, Apple Music, Siri, and more
- Which iPhones, iPads, and iPods support iOS 10?
- India has shot down Apple's plan to sell refurbished iPhones
- Lab results find the iPhone SE fails the bendgate and waterproof test
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTSenior Technical Engineer - MacVIC
- FTJunior Infrastructure EngineerACT
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- TPTechnical Project CoordinatorVIC
- FTDigital BAOther
- CCSenior Project ManagerVIC
- FTTechnical Solution ArchitectSA
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCDevelopers ? Multiple opportunities (Brisbane)VIC
- CCTechnical LeadQLD
- FTPractice Director DevelopmentSA
- CCLinux AdministratorNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst / Advisor - Content & Collaboration - SharePointNSW
- FTService Desk EngineerOther
- CCPHP DeveloperVIC
- FTProject Engineer, Operational Infrastructure & TelcoOther
- FTNetwork EngineerOther
- FTLevel 2/Level 3 Application Support AnalystVIC
- FTMid-Level Software EngineerOther
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- FTService Delivery ManagerOther
- TPService Delivery ManagerACT
- CCLevel 1 and 2 Help Desk OfficerQLD
- FTSenior Telecommunications RiggerOther
- TPProject Services - Support RolesACT